iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> ATTENTION!

Do not post questions about Ace in this section. Any and all Ace related support should be posted in the Ace section found here.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Animated Enemy Battlers
stthomp
post Jul 30 2011, 07:22 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Alright, I know that this question has been asked before and that it is "explained" in the Tankentai FAQ, etc. However, the explanations just aren't detailed enough for my specific questions, me being very new to this.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to create a graphic file that supports only ONE character instead of the default EIGHT sets of characters that show up. I am using the Tankentai Sideview Battle System, so I know that you can use the <animate> command in the enemy notebox to make the battler go through its different sprite animations (like the cat example in the demo). I just need help creating the actual graphic file. For instance, in this case, I want to use the guard from People4.png. How would I make a file to use him as an enemy in the way that the cat is used in the Tankentai demo?

Again, sorry if this is explained somewhere, but so far what I've found hasn't been clear enough to me. I'd highly appreciate a step-by-step explanation on how to do this. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Dkpwner
post Jul 30 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #2

Igzo Mina!
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

It is actually explained pretty clear in the ''tankentai topic"O.o
Just make a sprite sheet with the size of 96x128 with only the character set of the guy you want(is the standard size used but can be changed in the script)
Name it (for example): $Soldier
Import it to your character folder and use it as an actor
(or enemy with the <animate> tag like you said yourself)

For your ease:
Spoiler:

Note: only use the _1, _2, _3 graphic files if you're using the tankentai (K) version(Kaduki)
you only need the normal walking sprite when use the the regular version
Note2: I did not make these sprites!, they are from the official site of tankentai self found here:
Spoiler:
http://usui.moo.jp/rpg_tukuru.html

Hope this helped wink.gif

--------------------
Deviant Art with custom animations:
http://dkpwner.deviantart.com/

My Project:

==================================DEVELOPMENT PAGE COMING SOON=============================

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

stthomp
post Jul 30 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Right. I guess the only part that I'm confused with, and I feel like the answer is glaringly obvious, is how to make a sprite sheet. Do you use an editor like Paint? If so, how do you crop an exact 96x128 portion so that it includes all the right pixels? Again I haven't done this sort of thing before, I'm more of an eventer/writer, but I seem to be having more trouble with this than I ought to be heh.

+Quote Post

Dkpwner
post Jul 30 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #4

Igzo Mina!
Group Icon

There are many ways to make a sprite sheet,
I myself use photoshop/gimp to make my (new) spritesheets,
i simply make an canvas with the size of 98x128 pixels(pixels are an measurement option in PS/Gimp)
and then(for characters) import an template onto it so that i can
add the hair,armor, etc. myself without worrying about pixel/character positioning at all as the
so called 'base characters'' are already on it

To rip a certain part from a (example): big sprite sheet like ''people 4"
and i would want only the soldier part of it, i use the rectangular selection option
in GIMP to ''pull a line'' over the soldier set and then adjust the size to 98x128 through the
so called ''Tool options''
then i only need to copy it and past it on a blank 98x128 field or on a template
(like mentioned before) and then i'm done

Sorry if i misunderstood, i'm a bit 'slow-getting'' today unsure.gif

--------------------

My Project:

==================================DEVELOPMENT PAGE COMING SOON=============================

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

stthomp
post Jul 30 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Ok, well I tried using Paint.NET and got an acceptable result, although cropping it with the rectangle selection didn't result in exactly 96x128 (more like 98x128, and I think you meant to put 96 instead of 98 in your last post), but it doesn't seem to have any noticeable affect on the animated battlers. So I guess I'll stick with this method for now, even though I wish there were an easier/quicker way. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the advice, though, it was very helpful.

This post has been edited by stthomp: Jul 30 2011, 09:49 PM

+Quote Post

Dkpwner
post Jul 30 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Igzo Mina!
Group Icon

Woops, you're rightXD, my bad..., should be 96x128 laugh.gif
Glad my advice helped, even if it isn't the perfect result :/
I admit, i didn't completely understood what you wanted at first unsure.gif
I am also not what you can call the brightest genius when it comes to spriting and such laugh.gif

--------------------

My Project:

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

stthomp
post Jul 30 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Of course, I've now run into another problem. The square surrounding the new sprite is gray and doesn't match with its surroundings. Screenshot below.

+Quote Post

Dkpwner
post Jul 30 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #8

Igzo Mina!
Group Icon

Have you imported this sprite through the build-in resource manager?
as you should be able to select the color that should be transparent with that fuction

--------------------

My Project:

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

stthomp
post Jul 30 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Yeah, but the background color happens to be the same color as his eyes, so I can't make the square transparent without taking his eyes out with it.

+Quote Post

Dkpwner
post Jul 30 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #10

Igzo Mina!
Group Icon

have you tryed making his background white?

--------------------

My Project:

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

stthomp
post Jul 30 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

That will just make the white parts of the sprite transparent as well. The problem is that for some reason one of my sprite sets has a black background, while the others have the checkered blue background which is automatically considered as transparent by RMVX. For the ones with the checkered backgrounds, the transparency is a non-issue, but I don't know why I can't get this one sprite to have that type of background instead of the black one. Gah, this is just way more trouble than it's worth, there needs to be a simpler way to do this.

+Quote Post

Dkpwner
post Jul 30 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #12

Igzo Mina!
Group Icon

yeah, srry white was a lame suggestion>_<, should use
an color that isn't in the character sheet,
one other thing i can advise you(and is an option i find myself using alot when i have no other options left)
is to get gimp, open the image, right click the image =>layer then transparency option,
and finally select ''add alpha channel''.
then select the magic wand tool and select the parts you want to erase(recommend zooming in)
and then simply erasing the stuff.

NOTE: this all might be able in paint.net to if you don't have gimp,
but i have never used paint.net myself so i can't say for sure

I assume there would be another option, but it's getting
kinda late here so can't think 'that'' clear anymore,
so i'm going to crash:/

Hope you find a easier way to work it out wink.gif

--------------------

My Project:

I SUPPORT:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

stthomp
post Jul 30 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Alright, well I just went into Paint.NET and filled the entire background with some sort of hot pink that wasn't present in the sprite and finally got a decent outcome. Sorry for all the trouble, hopefully this is the last of my problems, and thanks again for all your help and patience.

If anyone knows a simpler method of using animated sprites, I would LOVE to know, because all this photo editing is a real pain and overall just isn't my strong suit, and I'd rather be spending my time on actually making my game.

+Quote Post

Sharpe
post Aug 2 2011, 03:10 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

Honestly. Download GIMP. You can set the canvas size and also set the grid size to the correct dimensions, and set the selection tool to snap to the grid. Helps a lot.

--------------------
My first tutorial: Moving a Player Through a Door Using a Move Route

"I give thee now a chance to share this world and to rule half of it
if thou will now stand beside me.
"What sayest thou?
"Will the great warrior stand with me?"

--The Dragonlord, Dragon Warrior, 1989.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:24 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.