iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Level up stat and skill window, Easy to use level up stat and skill display with actor graphics
Rating 5 V
BigEd781
post Sep 16 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #1

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Moved to a community owned site, come join us!

This post has been edited by Celianna: Mar 16 2012, 09:38 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  level_up_arrow.png ( 1.24K ) Number of downloads: 205

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Blank
post Sep 16 2008, 05:41 AM
Post #2

Lord o' Death <BLANK>
Group Icon

Type: Designer

Wowzers youve been dishing out some nifty scripts lately tongue.gif good job and keep it up biggrin.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Sep 16 2008, 05:49 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Thanks Blank. I am used to toiling in obscurity. Since I finally came to terms with the fact that I will never complete my own game (I hate writing the plot out), I am just focusing on the stuff I enjoy now.

--------------------
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Blank
post Sep 16 2008, 05:51 AM
Post #4

Lord o' Death <BLANK>
Group Icon

Nice... Dont forget there IS a tutorial section tongue.gif... for writing plots...and stuff...

--------------------

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Sep 16 2008, 05:51 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Yeah, it's not that I am bad at it, its that I can't stand doing it. I am in software development, this is what I like to do wink.gif

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Blank
post Sep 16 2008, 05:55 AM
Post #6

Lord o' Death <BLANK>
Group Icon

I see... Well I guess everyones different I dont mind coding or story writing but thats just me...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Craze
post Sep 16 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

I really like how this is set up. I'm going to credit you for it, but do you mind if I hack it apart myself? My current project uses some different stats (not just names, but different actual hard-coded stats) so it'd really just be an aesthetic layout change.

+Quote Post

Fated
post Sep 16 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Some issues with the script:

1) The text runs over in the skills window if you have a decently sized skill name, for example "Sword Mastery" does not fit, which is a pretty reasonable length name for a skill, it gets cut off at the e, so it displays "Sword Maste"

2) The "New skills" display on the skills window adds an "s" to the end of whatever you set your "skills" name to be in the terms section of the database, mine is called "Ability" so when I level up, it says "New Abilitys", the same problem would happen if I called it "Abilities" in the database, it'd end up being "Abilitiess", I could change it to "Skill" and that would work fine, but in my game, I define my abilities as either weapon skills or magic spells, so I dont want the entire category to be called "Skills"

3) Not a problem with the script itself, but, you named the arrow something weird, I had to change it to the proper name of "level_up_arrow" once I got errored out because it was misnamed.

Now that I think about it... I don't need the skills window, so I will be using this, lol <_>

This is a very nice looking script, thanks for making it.

This post has been edited by Fated: Sep 16 2008, 10:03 AM

--------------------
Support:

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Sep 16 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

@Craze: I don't even care if you credit me. Do whatever you like.

QUOTE (Fated @ Sep 16 2008, 02:07 AM) *
Some issues with the script:

1) The text runs over in the skills window if you have a decently sized skill name, for example "Sword Mastery" does not fit, which is a pretty reasonable length name for a skill, it gets cut off at the e, so it displays "Sword Maste"

2) The "New skills" display on the skills window adds an "s" to the end of whatever you set your "skills" name to be in the terms section of the database, mine is called "Ability" so when I level up, it says "New Abilitys", the same problem would happen if I called it "Abilities" in the database, it'd end up being "Abilitiess", I could change it to "Skill" and that would work fine, but in my game, I define my abilities as either weapon skills or magic spells, so I don't want the entire category to be called "Skills"

3) Not a problem with the script itself, but, you named the arrow something weird, I had to change it to the proper name of "level_up_arrow" once I got errored out because it was misnamed.

Now that I think about it... I don't need the skills window, so I will be using this, lol <_>

This is a very nice looking script, thanks for making it.

Yes, there are some issues here. I tried to strike a balance between long skill names and window size, so I made it large enough to fit just the longest skill name that is in the database by default. For your case, you can modify one line to make the skill window wider. Everything else will fall into place and automatically rearrange itself.

CODE
SKILL_WINDOW_WIDTH =

Make the width a bit wider there. One thing though, SKILL_WINDOW_WIDTH and STAT_WINDOW_WIDTH cannot add up to be more than 544, the width of the screen, so keep that in mind. I will make the "Skills" title more configurable in a little bit for you. I'll just make it a config option. The arrow name must have been changed when I uploaded it. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll make a note at the top of the page.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

R P G
post Sep 16 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Now that's a VERY nice overall appearance. I'll definatly be checking this one out. Thanks Ed and keep making more awesome scripts!

--------------------

Purple's hott. She's hott.

+Quote Post

Cyrus
post Sep 16 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #11

Jack of all Trades
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

This is beautiful BigEd, I 've been hoping for something like this for a while. The other level up menu although nice and well done doesn't look as great as this one. Nice work, thanks.

+Quote Post

Shadonn
post Sep 16 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #12

Jerk In A Box
Group Icon

Type: Writer

I must say man this script looks great. I'm trying it out now. This will definitely spice up the level up window. laugh.gif
I like the looks of it to. Great job!

--------------------
In a state of writing limbo...

+Quote Post

Shadonn
post Sep 17 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #13

Jerk In A Box
Group Icon

I've found an issue. It doesn't work with KGC's EquipLearnSkill script. My character gains no TP in battle. What to do?

--------------------

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Sep 17 2008, 01:53 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Yeah, as I noted above, this may have issues with other scripts that change what is displayed when a player levels up. I can take a look at it soon (tonight or tomorrow). First try placing my script above the KGC script. Let me know.

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Tenemi
post Sep 17 2008, 08:55 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Type: Musician

Hmm... I'm going to try it out.

This post has been edited by Tenemi: Sep 17 2008, 09:10 AM

--------------------
This post is by Tenemi =)

+Quote Post

neclords
post Sep 17 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #16

Born to kick your Ass!
Group Icon

thanks for making script like this. it's very useful. and the screen is good. smile.gif

--------------------
Help me to write the database. :D

+Quote Post

LoMastul
post Sep 17 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #17

Cookies :x
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Neutral Good

nice script man
is there any chance you can make the skill pop-up window to appear only if you learn a new skill/s?
or make it in a new script? whatever is more easy for you smile.gif
and also is there any chance you can chance the faceset + sprite with a moving spriteset? it'll be great if youll make those 2
thanks in advance

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mr. Anonymous
post Sep 17 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

Shouldn't be too hard to patch up any compatibility issues. if $imported["scriptname"] yadayadayada. Anyhow, very nice script, Ed. Clean and to the point.

I have a suggestion though: Why not put the configuration variables in their own module? It'll reduce lag *slightly* and you'll have less chance of it conflicting which other scripts that may use similar variables in that fashion.

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Sep 17 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (MrAnonymous @ Sep 17 2008, 07:39 AM) *
Shouldn't be too hard to patch up any compatibility issues. if $imported["scriptname"] yadayadayada. Anyhow, very nice script, Ed. Clean and to the point.

I have a suggestion though: Why not put the configuration variables in their own module? It'll reduce lag *slightly* and you'll have less chance of it conflicting which other scripts that may use similar variables in that fashion.

The compatibility stuff should be simple to do once I get some time. I'll also throw the config vars in a module. When I first made this there was only one or two things that you could configure. As it went on I kept adding things and forgot to do that. I should have some time tonight or tomorrow to fix these various issues.

BTW, thanks for the feedback guys.

This post has been edited by BigEd781: Sep 17 2008, 05:47 PM

--------------------

---
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Shadonn
post Sep 17 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #20

Jerk In A Box
Group Icon

I placed it above the script but now it doesn't show up.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 06:41 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.