iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lorelai, Queen, A World of RMVX project
Indra
post Aug 31 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #1

Typo Queen
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

A World of RMVX project

What is World of RMVX? Click here to find out.

Story
Spoiler:

Characters
Spoiler:

Screenshots
Spoiler:

More screenshots
Spoiler:

Demo:

Here it is.
Some notes:
-The demo is about 30-45 (more or less) minutes long, encompassing the whole prologue.
-The text has a skip function (by pressing shift) so be careful with that.
-If you're not too sure of how strategy combat works, read the combat manual when prompted.
-I took out the old demos. If for any reason anyone wants them, Pm me.

If you'd rather play the demo in french, Matsuo Kaito did an awesome work of a translation. You can get the french version here.

Features and notes:
-The game will consist of five chapters (plus a prologue and epilogue) and will be completely story driven. Combats will be strategy based.
-Lorelai, Queen happens in the WORMVX universe. In fact, it was created especially as a content project for WORMVX. As such, the mappings is 99% RTP (there are a few customs here and there, but they are minimal). I don't think there will be much customizing outside of combat, so don't expect a script festival or godly parallax mapping.
-The game will mostly focus on story and events, with combat being a minor feature, so if you're the king that can't stand all that dialogue before the fights start, this project is not for you.
-There will be many references to other kingdoms and places, and it's on purpose. It's mean to give some context and ideas to add to the WORMVX universe.

Credits
Spoiler:
Development:
-Indra
-Helel Ben
-Matsuo Kaito

Graphics:
Enterbrain
Famitsu
Ching (http://blackscrap.com/)
Cocodoco
Momope
Avadan

Music:
Enterbrain (RMVX and RMXP)

Scripts:
Star
Tomoaky
Sleigh
Skyval
Yanfly
Blackmorning
Nicke
KGC
Mithran
Original Wij
wltr3565
Woratana

Game Progress:

What's done so far:

-Prologue (completed in demo)
-Plot events of chapter 1 (no sidequests)

What's coming next:

Full game. In this case, doing chapter by chapter releases is not a good idea. Some functions like titles only work from new games, so it would be nasty to import.

What's needed:
Beta testers. I need people to read over the dialog to make sure it runs smoothly and to find any bugs/inconsistencies. If anyone is interested please send me a PM or say it in this thread, thank you.
If by some odd miracle anyone wants to help to do anyone else, I'd be glad to give you work (this being a rather fantastic situation, I don't think it will happen, but just in case XD).

Here's a support bar. I will be flattered to infinity should I see it around XD Edit: I'VE SEEN IT AROUND! I love you guys ; ;
The new and fancy one made by Matsuo Kaito:

Paste this to show it in your sig (or anywhere you want)
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=49376&hl=0"][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1301/supportbarmatsuo.png[/img][/url]

And the old and lamer one made by me (in case you prefer it, I don't think that will be the case, but eh)

Paste this to show it in your sig (or anywhere you want)
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=49376&hl=0"][img]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7864/supportbar.png[/img][/url]

Latest Updates
[01/09/11] Creation of topic (a big thanks to IcyDragon and EZaxess <3) Added support bar.
[24/09/11] Released demo and updated project thread.
[25/09/11] Added thread logo by Bulls
[26/09/11] Added WASD version and zip version of demo.
[21/10/11] Touched up project thread (bios/story), posted refined demo (new graphic faces for Lorelai and Marian, nothing new if you played the old one).

This post has been edited by Indra: Dec 24 2011, 01:38 PM

--------------------
Nowadays I'm in perpetual development hell. Shoot me a PM if you need something.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

EZaxess
post Aug 31 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #2

Home is in your head.
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Cheers Indra. smile.gif You have an eye for mapping, your layouts (the way you position things) works.

Perhaps add a support bar so people can back you up?

--------------------
My game (currently in development);

Support bar below;
Spoiler:

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=49347"][img]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7757/isupportsilentium.png[/img][/url]

Check these rockin' games out;
Spoiler:

Cool stuff;
Spoiler:
<- Charsets and Windowskins ftw.
<- Outdated topic.
<- Scripts ftw.
<- Particles ftw.
<- You WANT to check this out, ftw.

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 1 2011, 12:24 AM
Post #3

Typo Queen
Group Icon

Thanks EZaxess!
Support bar made. 'Scuse the crappiness, I'm not a very talented graphical artist/designer.
First time I get told I have an eye for mapping distribution O.O I guess I got some practice from having to map exclusively in rtp resources (it's a nightmare reisting the urge to just improve fancy stuff).

--------------------
Nowadays I'm in perpetual development hell. Shoot me a PM if you need something.

+Quote Post

amerk
post Sep 1 2011, 01:44 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

The nice about the World of RMVX projects is that it's going to show how decent and even beautiful maps can come out of the RTP. This is very well done. I'm also intrigued by the story, which makes me want to play this even more.

I was wondering what what was happening with the World of RMVX, since it's been quiet for awhile.

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 24 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Typo Queen
Group Icon

*BADADUMP!*
Demo is out! Please tell me what you think of it! [check first post for link]

@amerkevicious: Thanks for the praiseee XD Wormvx has been quiet lately because Sevith has been away (for real life reasons, I suspect) but I refuse to let it die ><

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Sep 24 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #6

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

Umm... are you supposed to be able to throw rocks and stab people through walls (the spear guy can do this)? D: That really bugged me. So much for a strategy of being behind a wall--why bother if they can still attack you anyway? @_@

I didn't get very far, but it's okay. I'm not sure I understand why the two guards don't recognize their Queen-to-be when her face doesn't change at all. I'll play some more later and give you more thoughts when I finish.

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 24 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #7

Typo Queen
Group Icon

@Ronove: I'm with you about the whole crossing walls thing, but since It's part of the script...needless to say I did not make it, and as I can't see see how to configure that...In any case, I'll try to talk it up with the combat programmer, to see if he can spot something in the script to work around that.

About the face thing. Marian (the maid) is using illusion magic to make her pass without notice. I was afradi it may not be evident, more so with no faceset change (again, since I did not make the facesets, modding them in any way is...hard). I'll look into it, in any case.
For reference: would it be better to give Lorelai another faceset (a slightly modified one, maybe) when she's "Keira", or should I actually explain the spell Marian is casting (when they swap int he carriage)?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Sep 24 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #8

I do not bite!
Group Icon

Visual cues are always better--if you can, get Keira a different face than Lorelei and then it's far more believable than just having an explanation.

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 24 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #9

Typo Queen
Group Icon

Ok, I will try to mod (or have someone else do it, graphical changes urrrr) the faceset. Thanks for the tip >.<

--------------------

+Quote Post

fmstwre
post Sep 24 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

I PLAYED THIS BEFORE YOU MADE THIS TOPIC biggrin.gif.

With that aside:

Very fun strategy game, the one thing I dislike is how slow my character receive EXP. Just one point per action :/. I mean...I want to be a higher level and quick, but that could just be personal preference. Nicely done so far!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Scinaya
post Sep 26 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #11

Spreading the Valentine's joy
Group Icon

Type: Artist

So,so,so... <333

I am here nooooww.... Better late than never ^u^
The project demo was likable and made me want to play through it in one sitting. Battles, even though taking a bit time, were fun and I think they fit well with lot of cutscenes! The story behind everything seems interesting and I'd love to see where everything goes. You have improved a lot in the way you show the story, as well as, in dialogue in comparison to your previous projects... And that is good to keep in mind Indra! It is the key to keep going and better and better. ;u;

It is not perfect... Nobody can be ;o; But <3 I love the way you are taking the flaws pointed to you as challenges... Don't get tired with it, that is the way you get the project polished up baby!

--------------------
;u; Thank you:

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 26 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #12

Typo Queen
Group Icon

Scinaya has posted in my topic. I am officially cool now cool.gif

Seriously tho, thanks for the encouragement ;M; It means a lot to know people think I'm improoviiing.

Since the game is short (without all the sidestuff, i mean) It shoudl not be a stretch to finish it in a reasonable period. Let's hope it won't take long >D

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lunarea
post Sep 26 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Type: Artist

One of the easiest way to differentiate between two characters is the eyes. If you play around with the shape a bit, it can be a very distinguishing feature:
For example:
vs
Obviously, they're supposed to be identical, so you can't make them too different. But a small detail that the player will notice quickly should do the trick.

That aside, I'm downloading the demo and looking forward to playing later today! I will let you know what I thought once I've played through. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Sep 26 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #14

I do not bite!
Group Icon

I'd at least make the face look like her hair is actually tied back. That could help a lot too.

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 26 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #15

Typo Queen
Group Icon

@Lunarea: Woo, you're right! I'll try to get some editing in that part (or have someone with better skills go at it). Mostly I'm fearing having to mod the EMOTIONS (if it was just one face I could do some kind of messy edit, but 8 of them is a bit daunting.
Looking forward to your opinions! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ronove
post Sep 26 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #16

I do not bite!
Group Icon

I should have done this for my post, but I didn't:

You can probably do a better job than me of editing that, but what I did was go to that site you credit for the faces, took the short-haired girl, plopped that hair on the other faceset, then made a pony-tail looking thing from her normal faceset.

Anyway, still looking forward to more!

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 26 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #17

Typo Queen
Group Icon

@Ronove Oooh...pretty ponytail Lorelai *-*! Thanks a bunch! I'll b definitely using this to mod the faceset (I was really nervous of modding all that carefully drawn hair, I didn't even consider the alternative of using the other generator templates x.x

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avee
post Sep 27 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Hi Indra. Thanks to Matsuo Kaito I've had the chance to play this charming little prologue you've made (in its original english version and the french-translated one).

I think you've got something here. The TBS is one of the most enjoyable feature for me. I think it is very, very well designed, on an almost professionnal level. I like how it is fast and easy to use. But I believe it could be spiced up a bit. I was already satisfied after 3 fights and thought the other 2 were just more of the same. Also, I didn't feel like there was much strategy involved in battles so far. I did not find most special skills and stances useful. The main strategy was to rush enemies and use normal attacks all the time.
I'd suggest implementing terrain hazards right away and maybe strenghtening skills slightly to make them more useful and more appealing at the cost of small MP amounts.

A few elements were minor issues to me (but that's just me):
Regarding the facesets I mistook Darian for Liam at first. I think they just look alike too much.
I feel that the menu should spin the other way around.
In battle it is a shame a character can't use items on themselves.
And I think we should have the option to confirm or cancel movement. I made a few mistakes that cost me a turn there.
It is great that lone enemies run away from the party, yet I believe they should still take the initiative to attack when we get close.
There isn't much to do on the field maps so far aside from collceting items. Maybe adding some field action events would spice traveling up just right.

The uncommon storyline and screenplay are very good as well and kept me interested in seeing what's to happen next or how characters would act. I can't think of anyway to make this better than it already is.

So congrats for this refreshing and promising game. I'll be following its development for sure. Keep it up, sister ^^

+Quote Post

EZaxess
post Sep 27 2011, 09:26 PM
Post #19

Home is in your head.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

I like what I've played so far, congrats on releasing your demo Indrah. smile.gif

Unfortunately, on a personal level, I don't like GBTS (or most tactical rpgs)! But it's looking good, polished and the story seem to be all right.

Cheers, keep 'em updates coming!

--------------------
My game (currently in development);

Support bar below;
Spoiler:

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=49347"][img]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7757/isupportsilentium.png[/img][/url]

Check these rockin' games out;
Spoiler:

Cool stuff;
Spoiler:
<- Charsets and Windowskins ftw.
<- Outdated topic.
<- Scripts ftw.
<- Particles ftw.
<- You WANT to check this out, ftw.

+Quote Post

Indra
post Sep 27 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #20

Typo Queen
Group Icon

@Avee: Thanks! It feels really awesome to know someone took the toruble to come from another forum just to say this to me ; ; I regularly stalk the french forum to see updates (and pass them by google translate or pester Matsuo to translate for me) so you have no idea how elated I am right now over the whole thing XD

About combat: Difficulty is low on purpose. Battles further down the road will be PUNISHING (well, at least hard and needing strategy. We may implement an easy sistem for those who don't ant to bother, I'm still not sure). Since level caps at 10 (barely a small stat bonus) you rely on strategy heavily, managing equipment (which is few and far between) and titles for extra effects. The demo is easy on purpose (nobody wants to be stuck in the intro -.-). Since combat won't be random and repeatable (the story figths are the only ones you get) each will be its own world.
I have to say about the design of the combat system: I did not create it. It's a script made by Tomoaky (it's already in the credits, but just in case).

About the facesets: The truth of it is that they ALL come from a semi-generator of sorts. Darian and Liam look alike because Liam is actually a "polished" version of the Darian faceset...Well, I won't bore you with the details, but they're all very alike. Minor edits to make them more distinctive is already something that's come up, and we will probably try to touch them all up, including sprites.

The...characters can't use items on themselves? I never noticed XDD I will look into it.

Overall, thanks a bunch for taking the time to post! It seems silly, but it means a lot to me, really!

@Ezaxess: Hnnng. No like tbs? I may have to do a compeltely fight-less version just so I can pester people to have no excuse not to play it XDD Anyway, thanks a bunnnch!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 05:18 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.