iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Leveling Up and the World's Perception
ikos
post Oct 20 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #1

WWWYKI
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Aside from RPGs (and more modern hybrid games), "Leveling Up" is kind of an unorthodox thing to try and... rationalize. "Levels" are a highly-vague numerical representation of what can only be assumed to be "battle performance", or "human potential". Are levels strictly one's ability in battle? Do "stats" affect standard actions such as balance, cardiovascular stamina or pain threshold? Or is it simply one's... physical/mental ability to perform? Are sports athletes of a higher level than a standard person? What about a boxer- does the lack of a "kill" affect is growth in "strength"?

I thought this would be a fun little thing to discuss. In most games, aside from a character's status screen, a character's "level" is never really discussed. I'm curious to see how other people view "levels" and their relation to everyday life.

This post has been edited by ikos: Oct 20 2011, 10:45 PM

--------------------
Check this project out!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

lightspeed15
post Oct 20 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #2

Dope
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Level 1: Wake up in the damn morning
Level 2: Take a shower
Level 3: Grab a granola bar
Level 4: Head to class
Level 5: Listen to dudes drone on and on about stuff
Level 6: More of Level 5 except with a grumbling stomach
Level 7: Go home
Level 8: Eat
Level 9: Homework
Level 10: Get on PC/ Sleep

--------------------

+Quote Post

lairon
post Oct 20 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Evil

Unless your game is more sandbox, I think it's better to use story progression as the measure of how strong your game's character(s) have become.

+Quote Post

ikos
post Oct 20 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #4

WWWYKI
Group Icon

QUOTE (lairon @ Oct 20 2011, 11:03 PM) *
Unless your game is more sandbox, I think it's better to use story progression as the measure of how strong your game's character(s) have become.

Wouldn't that contrast with actual character development? I mean, a character who I leave dead the entire game shouldn't be powerful in comparison to the rest of the party.

--------------------
Check this project out!

+Quote Post

lairon
post Oct 20 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Evil

QUOTE (ikos @ Oct 20 2011, 04:05 PM) *
Wouldn't that contrast with actual character development? I mean, a character who I leave dead the entire game shouldn't be powerful in comparison to the rest of the party.

Mind you, when I say "how strong your game's character(s) have become," I am referring to the story.
You know, the hapless peasant at the start of the game, but by the end he's considered a mighty knight by many. That sort of thing.

+Quote Post

ikos
post Oct 20 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #6

WWWYKI
Group Icon

QUOTE (lairon @ Oct 21 2011, 12:18 AM) *
Mind you, when I say "how strong your game's character(s) have become," I am referring to the story.
You know, the hapless peasant at the start of the game, but by the end he's considered a mighty knight by many. That sort of thing.

Right, right. Are you saying that "levels" are a strictly "player-only" thing?

--------------------
Check this project out!

+Quote Post

new
post Oct 21 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

level's are indication of a game character's progress, and as a bonus their parameters increase which leads to allowing the designers give harder bosses, items, skills and equips that require certain levels to be unlocked/used.

i mean, game designers want its players to have a measure of how much effort they gave on the game. like in pokemon, its takes a long time to raise 6 pokemons to level 99 without gameshark and playing it on a gameboy. how much batteries you've emptied and recharged on it.

in real life, we have profession which can be compared to an RPG's class system. as for level, there is no such thing. all people are on the same level. i mean, every one was born equal, it depends on the individual what they want to become. RPG is limited to a human's design, whereby Life on the other hand, was designed by a higher being. In anyway, a person who lives in 2D can't comprehend what is 3D.

--------------------
download here
(Ask before using a bar from someone's sig -Touchfuzzy)

+Quote Post

ikos
post Oct 21 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #8

WWWYKI
Group Icon

QUOTE (new @ Oct 21 2011, 01:07 AM) *
level's are indication of a game character's progress, and as a bonus their parameters increase which leads to allowing the designers give harder bosses, items, skills and equips that require certain levels to be unlocked/used.

i mean, game designers want its players to have a measure of how much effort they gave on the game. like in pokemon, its takes a long time to raise 6 pokemons to level 99 without gameshark and playing it on a gameboy. how much batteries you've emptied and recharged on it.

in real life, we have profession which can be compared to an RPG's class system. as for level, there is no such thing. all people are on the same level. i mean, every one was born equal, it depends on the individual what they want to become. RPG is limited to a human's design, whereby Life on the other hand, was designed by a higher being. In anyway, a person who lives in 2D can't comprehend what is 3D.

I didn't mean it in the literal sense of what "level" is in RPGs. tongue.gif
And I disagree with the "all people are on the same level". A kid in a school fight and a MMA combatant are on very different levels. In an RPG, would the MMA fighter literally be of a "higher level"?

--------------------
Check this project out!

+Quote Post

Radscythe
post Oct 21 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #9

Waiting for life to pass him by.
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Neutral Good

If you want to look at levels realistically; you would even gain exp just for swinging at air providing you're getting better at swinging whatever it is you're swinging around.

The catch; is that there is an energy meter, and when you get tired your experience doesn't increase and won't increase your level until you rest on what you did.

--------------------
The words that sprout of lies to our souls; if they bear fruit the lies disappear.

Games:
Spoiler:
My Stuff:

Award:
Spoiler:

I support:
Spoiler:

<<< Stare at this in awe.

+Quote Post

Dorian's World
post Oct 21 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

QUOTE (lairon @ Oct 20 2011, 04:18 PM) *

Agreed. That is the reality version of leveling up.

In my opinion, leveling up is the same as getting "experience" in a game, like the character is unlocking his true potential.

--------------------
How do variables work again...? -.-

+Quote Post

Kaptain J
post Oct 21 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #11

Death says "Hi"
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

Leveling up simply means you are gaining higher "levels" of experience. In real life, you could say that the more you do, the more experience you gain, and the higher your level will be.

--------------------

Come join Team Smash today!

Other stuffz:
Spoiler:

RPGMakerVX.net Awards:
Spoiler:

Check out my tutorial and articles:
How to Write a Story
The Kaptain's Article Dump

+Quote Post

EZaxess
post Oct 21 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Home is in your head.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

I get experience with everything I do.

I level up every couple years or so, I'm probably a level 12 in my head and will die a level 20 (max in my book), wealthy and strong. I have no clue what I'm talking about really, but cheaaaa'..! tongue.gif

P.S. I also have mini-levels, the other day I reached resist lv4 by eating bad food and surviving a hardcore food poisoning. Cheaaaa'.. ok I'm out.

--------------------
My game (currently in development);

Support bar below;
Spoiler:

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=49347"][img]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7757/isupportsilentium.png[/img][/url]

Check these rockin' games out;
Spoiler:

Cool stuff;
Spoiler:
<- Charsets and Windowskins ftw.
<- Outdated topic.
<- Scripts ftw.
<- Particles ftw.
<- You WANT to check this out, ftw.

+Quote Post

new
post Oct 21 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

QUOTE (ikos @ Oct 21 2011, 02:30 AM) *
And I disagree with the "all people are on the same level". A kid in a school fight and a MMA combatant are on very different levels. In an RPG, would the MMA fighter literally be of a "higher level"?

so you mean that kind of level in the real world. so you're talking about profession. you don't need to be an MMA combatant to be an S Class Warrior. sometimes a nobody kid from the block can beat up a professional fighter. which could mean that kid leveled up? seriously, the only measure of level in real life is your accomplishments, since its the concrete examples of measures of experienced you've gained. in which in RPGs, you gain levels by gaining experience.

--------------------
download here
(Ask before using a bar from someone's sig -Touchfuzzy)

+Quote Post

Alexander Amnell
post Oct 21 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

QUOTE (ikos @ Oct 20 2011, 06:30 PM) *

Levels don't really apply to this situation at all, for one thing there is no guarantee that the kid isn't an experienced martial artist in his own right, and strength difference wouldn't be based on level anyway because a child just wouldn't be fully developed physically, levels notwithstanding. Also, in video games usually the characters aren't using their fists to solve disputes, but swords and bows and other weapons that in real life would kill just as easily no matter how experienced a fighter you might be. Sure a man can train to be the best warrior in the modern world, participate in warfare and push his body to the physical and mental extremes, but that experience won't protect him if a random child were to shoot him from behind one day, he'd die just as easily as if it had been an experienced adult pulling the trigger.

In addition to that, if we don't continue to work at something then our ability to do it will diminish over time, and I can't just say one day that I'm going to train and run every day until I'm 10x as fast as I am now, our bodies have limits that are on a far smaller scale then the hero of a game whose stats are likely more than 10x what they were when he started, even though in most games the characters don't even age that much, if at all.

I can't really think of a valid way of comparing levels to real life, like new said already we are pretty much on the same level, some of us may be slightly stronger/faster/healthier than others but never really to an extreme, the only thing that really seperates us is our knowledge and our determination at something.

--------------------
The guy who'll try to solve your script request...with an event!

My game project (dev page out, click away!)

Things that are awesome!
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 09:27 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.