iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Note for Early Project Feedback Threads

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Temple of Slendermen, A Slow-Paced Horror Survival [UPDATE 2/16/11]
BlackMuffin
post Nov 5 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #1

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Introduction/World
I'm a huge fan of Frictional. I think the game Amnesia: The Dark Descent is amazing and the whole general idea of horror stories is something that not everyone can deal with or write. Since I have a (relatively) twisted mind, I decided to make this game. Read on to find out what it's about.

The time is 1941, when Hitler is storming through Europe during the Holocaust. We are in the Amazon Jungle, where mosquitoes and snakes thrive, and the weak are doomed to die. Civilization has had almost no impact onto this area of the world. The world is still in strong belief that magic and witchcraft no longer have any impact on modern society. There is no such thing as monsters.

The world is as presented, with no supernatural entities, no God, no nothing.

Or so it seems...

Story
You play as Dr. Wilmington, the archaeologist who is out to prove the existence of the fabled "Temple of Slendermen", an ancient temple built far away from the humans by an unknown empire. Why was it created so far away from civilization, though? Why was it built in the first place? These are questions you also want to answer. As you arrive at the temple, though, your two loyal friends and assistants are brutally murdered by a black tentacled figure who calls himself 'Joseph'. You escape into the temple to continue to find answers, avenge your friends, and escape from the forest. Answers you find, but the answers are truly scarring and life-changing. You will travel into the bowels of the Temple and gain information never meant for humans, solve puzzles, and uncover the fate of a group of French monks who also traveled into the Temple.

Are you ready?

Characters (More to Come)
Dr. Wilmington
Country of Origin: New York, USA
Bio: Main Protagonist of the Game. Dr. Adam Elsworth Wilmington learned about the Temple as he was gaining his Doctorate at Harvard, and was fascinated by it ever since. Once he learned enough information about it (including its location), he announced his expedition to the Temple. His idea was greeted with scorn and ridicule, and all of his colleagues laughed off his idea. Even after he earned his Doctorate, he was still laughed at by all of his co-graduates. Along with Stan and his childhood friend Jeffrey Heinkel, he set out to the Temple of Slendermen to prove its existence. Very serious, but easily tempted to believe lies and tends to assume too much. Gained a Ph.D in Archeology at Harvard College. He will have the tendency to change his mind and believe things that he did not believe before, and vice-versa.

You will need to direct him through the hellish dungeons and strange clockworks of the temple, unearthing the ancient secrets behind it and surviving all the dangers that find you. His survival depends entirely on you; choices and logic make the difference in this game.

Joseph
Country of Origin: ???
Bio: Antagonist. "Guards" the temple, but seems to have a strange tendency to brutally kill anyone who comes near the temple. He has a great deal of knowledge about Dr. Wilmington, but does not reveal why. At times you will meet him during the game; at times because of the story, and at other times it will be through a trap.

Joseph is actually a Slenderman, and has a very deep and dark story surrounding him. You will learn his true identity as you travel deeper into the temple... and it might (actually, it will) just surprise you.

Stan
Country of Origin: London, England
Bio: Stan was picked up off the streets by Dr. Wilmington when he was only five years old. Tired and hungry, he was left by his mother for no discernable reason to fend for himself. One day, when Dr. Wilmington was on a research trip in London, he stumbled upon Stan rummaging through trash to find something to eat. Having pity for the boy, he offered him a place to stay and some food. He accepted, although it took him a while to trust the Doctor.
When it was finally time for Dr. Wilmington to leave London a month after he had found Stan, Stan refused to leave Dr. Wilmington. Therefore, he gave Stan education and discovered the amazing intellectual and logical talents of the boy. Before long, Stan was the Doctor�‚„s personal assistant.
Unfortunately, he is murdered in the incident involving Joseph, but never truly leaves the story. You will find him popping up every once in a while to support Dr. Wilmington as he is traveling deeper into the temple.

Gameplay & Design
This is a slow-paced horror survival game made with the idea of eventually making it have your skin crawling, but not with you losing control of your bowels. I decided to make this game using most of the RTP and without battles, since I tend not to like customizing the engine too much. I started this game with the idea of making it more and more like a Horror-Survival, eventually removing the "Skill", "Status", and "Equip" tabs.

This is actually my first game to actually be released onto RMVX.net, so I'm pretty excited about it.

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Demo
None yet, and I'm not sure when I'll release it.

Future of the Game
In the final release, the game will be exactly as I want it; a compelling Horror-Survival story with hints of Detective and Puzzle games. Until that happens, though, I still have to edit the core principles of the game, as it is still InDev; when it becomes a Tech Demo, I'll release the T-D for public testing, editing it until it becomes Alpha. Once this happens, I will remove the demo and keep it removed until it becomes in Beta, where I will publicly release it again until the final release, which should be end of next year max if I don't procrastinate too much.

I have every intention of finishing this game, which I promise to do. If I don't, feel free to ridicule me.

Support Bar

(I know this support bar is VERY large. I will attempt to resize it in the future if I have the patience.)

CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=51084"][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/961/tosbanner.png[/img][/url]

Credits
Me- Story, Mapping, Game Design

The Sarcastic Champion- Soundtrack
Lunaera- Jungle Tiles

This post has been edited by BlackMuffin: May 7 2012, 09:58 AM

--------------------
"People with Autism and other brain disorders are the most unfairly treated people in the world."- Dorian's World

Projects
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Chaike
post Nov 9 2011, 07:05 AM
Post #2

Because reasons.
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

*sees title*
Slendermen? Fuck yea, you got my support :3

in all seriousness, it looks pretty good. I'll keep an eye on it.

--------------------

My games
Spoiler:
progress/finished:
Broken Chapters - 30% done!
BC project thread
Klucygin - 100% done! 95% debugging done!
Now named mystery game (phobia) - paused until BC is done

I Support:
Spoiler:

Romance is awesome, admit it

Award:
Spoiler:

I do art. You should look at it: http://chaikeon.deviantart.com/

LOL I would not doubt that. :D We have had dealings with them Nazi in the past

+Quote Post

mitchi.exe
post Nov 9 2011, 07:31 AM
Post #3

Welcome to RMVX.net, B*tch
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

On the 2nd and 3rd screenshots, there are some mapping errors, specifically with the perspective of the stairs.

Old male as main protagonist? That's something different...
This game was supposed to be your entry, isn't it?

I have every intention of finishing this game, which I promise to do. If I don't, feel free to ridicule me.

I'll be looking forward for that!

--------------------

Spoiler:

CoA Playable Character Spr completion: 7/13 (~54%)
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Nov 10 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #4

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chaike @ Nov 9 2011, 02:05 AM) *
*sees title*
Slendermen? Fuck yea, you got my support :3

in all seriousness, it looks pretty good. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks. I kinda had an idea you'd like it since you're all about slendermen. tongue.gif
And I'm working on the support bar as of now, so yeah.

QUOTE (mitchi.exe @ Nov 9 2011, 02:31 AM) *
On the 2nd and 3rd screenshots, there are some mapping errors, specifically with the perspective of the stairs.

Would you mind telling me what those are? I'm not a very good mapper so I'd appreciate it if you could tell me, since I always thought the stairs looked fine.

QUOTE (mitchi.exe @ Nov 9 2011, 02:31 AM) *
This game was supposed to be your entry, isn't it?

As a matter of fact, it was. Then, Shin decided to come back after his suspension so we still worked on SitD and I dropped this project. However, Shin never submitted his entry, so yeah. Now I'm just submitting this as any old RMVX entry. I hope it becomes popular enough for me to learn a lot from my mistakes.

--------------------
"People with Autism and other brain disorders are the most unfairly treated people in the world."- Dorian's World

Projects

+Quote Post

Kaptain J
post Nov 12 2011, 04:23 AM
Post #5

Death says "Hi"
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

Hell yeah! Slenderman is badass. I was actually thinking about making a Slenderman-based game myself at some point. Wish ya luck!

--------------------

Come join Team Smash today!

Other stuffz:
Spoiler:

RPGMakerVX.net Awards:
Spoiler:

Check out my tutorial and articles:
How to Write a Story
The Kaptain's Article Dump

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Nov 15 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #6

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

UPDATE: Added a little bit to the character bio's; they're still incomplete, and I've got another character to put in, but for now it'll have to do.

Next up, I'll be submitting new screenshots of edited maps, and I'll be adding the new character bio.

This post has been edited by BlackMuffin: Nov 15 2011, 07:46 PM

--------------------

Projects

+Quote Post

Syx
post Nov 15 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Rusted Souls
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Is that a triforce I see in screenie number three? Wow, look at me go. I can rhyme fast, I can rhyme slow. I can make a rhyme any time.

Anyway, this project looks really good. I think I'll attempt your user/support bar. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Nov 20 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #8

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

QUOTE (Asixex @ Nov 15 2011, 04:03 PM) *
Is that a triforce I see in screenie number three? Wow, look at me go. I can rhyme fast, I can rhyme slow. I can make a rhyme any time.

Anyway, this project looks really good. I think I'll attempt your user/support bar. smile.gif

You mean you'll try making one? That'd be great since I'm hesitant to put mine up. (it looks like poop)

And I'm not sure where you see a triforce (or a rhyme).

--------------------

Projects

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Dec 11 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #9

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

UPDATE!:

I know this update took a while, even though it's tiny. I give out a huge apology to my 2 followers. T_T
Worst part is, this is a pretty small update and I haven't really added some of the things I said I would add. OTL

Although I have no new screenies, I added a new feature to the game: Saving Locations! They are represented by white hexagrams. Once you step on them, it'll ask if you want to save. The rest should be pretty predictable ;3. This will prove to be useful once I add enemies (although there is no combat, you can still run into enemies [and by enemies, I mean Joseph {And he'll only appear through traps <trollface>}]. Once that happens, you die. :3).

Also, I finished up the character bio's and added Stan's bio!

Next, I hope to add the screenies (finally) and get a couple new levels done. I also want to change the menu system so it only shows "Items," "Save," and "Quit." I'll also finally add my support bar. I'M STILL ACCEPTING COMMUNITY MADE SUPPORT BARS; MINE SUCKS~

This post has been edited by BlackMuffin: Dec 11 2011, 12:40 AM

--------------------

Projects

+Quote Post

tamalego
post Jan 2 2012, 01:12 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Sorry if this is necro post but us this project still in action? I would be happy to support this laugh.gif you can use the logo :/ I guess I can try making one (support bar) until then can I use the logo? I'm already in love with your project

This post has been edited by tamalego: Jan 2 2012, 01:35 PM

--------------------

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Jan 4 2012, 01:02 AM
Post #11

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

QUOTE (tamalego @ Jan 2 2012, 08:12 AM) *
Sorry if this is necro post but us this project still in action? I would be happy to support this laugh.gif you can use the logo :/ I guess I can try making one (support bar) until then can I use the logo? I'm already in love with your project

Don't worry it's not a necropost; I just haven't been working on the project too much because of distractions. T_T I should be getting back on regular updates somewhere within the month. :3
And please make a support bar, I'm having absolute fail syndrome trying to make one. TmT

--------------------

Projects

+Quote Post

tamalego
post Jan 4 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

i tried to and... failed it's really hard maybe you could use a banner generator until someone can make one for you?

--------------------

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Jan 15 2012, 01:28 AM
Post #13

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

QUOTE (tamalego @ Jan 4 2012, 02:19 PM) *
i tried to and... failed it's really hard maybe you could use a banner generator until someone can make one for you?

Good idea.

OOR:
My next update should be [eventually]. Sorry to make you wait guys, but if you spread the word and make more people support my project then maybe I'll be more inclined to put up regular updates.

EDIT: I'm sorry my update is taking forever. I've gotten a lot done, though, and I had completely forgotten about updates. I promise my update will be within this month (February) ;_;

This post has been edited by BlackMuffin: Feb 12 2012, 12:32 AM

--------------------

Projects

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Feb 16 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #14

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

Another freaking tiny, but long-awaited update; support bar! If you like this project and want me to dish out more frequent updates, put that oversized guy inside your signature!

I've also decided NOT to put in new screenies. I looked over the mapping and it all looks fine to me. If you object, tell me in PM how I should fix it. Other than that, I am keeping the current mappings.
I apologize for the lack of frequent updates, but I haven't been able to work on ToS recently since I was down for three weeks with Mono. I could be online, but working on ToS hurt my head bad. Now I'm back, so I should be able to get back on track pretty quickly.

Thanks for supporting if you actually decide to use my support bar. ^w^

--------------------

Projects

+Quote Post

Naku-Raccoon
post Apr 4 2012, 04:28 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

I support this biggrin.gif

--------------------
I support

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:35 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.