iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Mapping-] Luchi-chan's City mapping tutorial, Yet another Mack tutorial. 100% parallax free. ^^
Rating 3 V
Luchino-chan
post Nov 11 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #1

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Hello everyone. It's been a while since my last mapping tutorial, but I've decided to stop procrastinating and post this tutorial. smile.gif

This is what we will be creating today. A simple city map, with a fog overlay added for atmosphere.

All you will need is Woratana's Multiple Fogs script, found in the Master Script listing. You don't need to use it, though.

Alright, let's get started.

STEP 1:

First of all, you will lay the groundwork for your city. I also created the walls in this step for the buildings.

STEP 2:

Next thing would be to add the roofing. First, use the red roof autotile ( the one that matches the Mack roof ), and make it 3 tiles/blocks high. Then you will go and add the pre-created Mack roof that comes with this tileset. smile.gif

STEP 3:

Now, we will go ahead and start seperating the buildings from each other. First, bring down the autoroof tile by one block in the spaces between the two pre-created roofs.

Then you will select the matching wall autotile and bring that down by 3 tiles/blocks. I also added another, different coloured roof here, to give that illusion of 3D.

Provided you added in a extra roof, you will notice the bottom of the wall autotile sticking out at the top. This can easily be remedied. Use the Shift button, and click with that wall auotile selected. It should disappear. smile.gif

And it will look like this.

STEP 4:

Now, you would go ahead and mapping normal house like you usually would. For the roofing at the bottom of the map, just repeat Step 2. smile.gif

STEP 5:

Once you've created the basic structures for your city, you can start decorating it to your heart's content. Just don't overdo the details. wink.gif

STEP 6:

Last, but not least, you can add in a Cloud overlay if you wish to do so, or even a sunbeam. You'd have to get your own graphics for that, though. biggrin.gif

Add npcs, smoke coming out of chimneys etc, and you're done!

Hope everyone who read this found it useful and informative. And replies don't hurt. wink.gif

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

My tutorials: Bringing you quality tutorials, from me to you.
- Create a gorgeous valley with Mack tiles, Luchi-style.
- An advanced tutorial showing how you can add features such as an in-game gallery, a character biography or even an in-game tutorial!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Sanane
post Nov 12 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

The result is looking awesome Luchino-chan. You bet this will help newbie mappers like me.
Thanks for that great tutorial smile.gif

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Nov 12 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #3

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

@Sanane: Thank you. That's the whole purpose of these tutorials, to help out the very beginner, and to show that you don't need to parallax to create nice-looking maps. I'll probably do a village or two next, depending, or maybe a hidden elf village. smile.gif Maybe even a castle town. Anyway, the results can be endless with clever usage of a limited tileset. ^^

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

- An advanced tutorial showing how you can add features such as an in-game gallery, a character biography or even an in-game tutorial!

+Quote Post

lightspeed15
post Nov 13 2011, 03:03 AM
Post #4

Dope
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Nice tutorial. I'm lovin' 'em. Really teaches people like me how to map!

I applaud you.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Nov 13 2011, 06:40 AM
Post #5

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

@lightspeed15: Thank you. I'll try to keep them coming. smile.gif Note that the techniques above can also be applied to RTP-style maps, and are not just limited to Mack's.

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

kingsofrpg
post Nov 18 2011, 03:53 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Though these don't really make me that much better, I love your tutorials. Gives me an idea for a city in a game that takes place 2000 years after my current one smile.gif Good job on the tutorials!

Also, I'm making a city with a giant castle and garden in the center (Think like a European Castle, Versailles for example with the large gardens in front). Not exactly my forte so any tips? Or maybe an idea for a tutorial tongue.gif

This post has been edited by kingsofrpg: Nov 18 2011, 03:55 AM

--------------------
Variable/Game_Interpreter Fix
Spoiler:

Proud Puzzle Maker of "Relic"

CODE
dont_hate_the(player) unless player.is_a?(Game_Enemy)

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Nov 18 2011, 07:12 AM
Post #7

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

@kingsofrpg: Oh, did I bruise your ego? wink.gif Sorry about that, but I'm glad that you like them, at least. And I am thinking of doing a tutorial like the one you suggested. I haven't tried it before, but I'll give it a shot. I don't plan out my cities/wildernesses out on paper, I just map. That way, the finished map looks more natural. Of course, the mapper has to know how to use the tiles first. smile.gif I like to call it 'instinctive mapping', which is something that can maybe be learned. I wouldn't know how to explain it though...

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

kingsofrpg
post Nov 18 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Luchino-chan @ Nov 17 2011, 11:12 PM) *
@kingsofrpg: Oh, did I bruise your ego?

Ummm.... no? lol
And yeah the only maps I plan out on paper are my puzzles

--------------------
Spoiler:

CODE

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Jan 25 2012, 06:08 AM
Post #9

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

2 month necro bump. I should probably start creating more of these tutorials again. smile.gif

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

RobinTrevize
post Jan 25 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Really handy (Sorry if this is a Necro-post) :S

Cheers! smile.gif

+Quote Post

TehBoomer
post Feb 10 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

I really enjoy your attention to detail. The fog effect for ambiance, the smoke coming out of the chimney stacks, the grass, different styled windows, etc...however there is one thing I must constructively criticize. It all looks too symmetrical. Your map looks good as is, but if you threw a bit of random variants into it--it could be great. Move one of the houses up two tiles; remove one of the two piece foundations from another. Outside of that though, it's awesome. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Feb 10 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #12

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

@RobinTrevise: That's why I bumped it up. It's not considered a necro if the OP bumps up a topic. smile.gif

@TehBoomer: Thanks, but that map was literally done in 5 minutes, from start to finish, so I just mapped. ^^ But yes, attention to detail is one of my signatures on all my maps. I should bump up my valley mapping tut, mine tut and lava cave tutorials as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

kingsofrpg
post Feb 10 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

I always feel like when I place grass in my more industrialized cities, it looks really out of place... Any tips on that part? tongue.gif

--------------------
Spoiler:

CODE

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Feb 11 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #14

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

@kingsofrpg: Well, I wouldn't put leaf-green grass in an industrial area in any case. I'd rather replace it with dirt tiles. It makes more logical sense. smile.gif

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

ShinGamix
post Feb 11 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #15

...now loading...
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Could you show/post a pic of the sunbeam pic you used in Step 6?

--------------------
The Maker of Battle Dungeons!!

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Feb 11 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #16

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

@Shin: Here you go. smile.gif It's actually in my other tutorial as well. ^^

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Foggy
post Feb 11 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Nice tutorial... smile.gif

I would appreciate it if you created another one with more "advanced" tiling (Tile C) houses cause I can't get to get used to it and I barely make houses.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Nilaihah
post Feb 15 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Oh hey, I wish I would have seen this last week. Pretty much all the stuff you taught here I learned by shouting at my monitor and flapping my arms until it all worked and looked like I wanted.

Definitely helpful for newbies!

+Quote Post

RivalNightmare
post Mar 13 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

I'm new and.. What roof tileset do you use? I can't seem to find any that work that well... Sorry for this off-topic question.. Great tutorial otherwise.^^

+Quote Post

Juunanagou
post Mar 14 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Yet another Mack tutorial
this, you can find them here: http://www.tekepon.net/fsm/modules/refmap/...php?mode=vx-map

--------------------
If you need help with maps feel free to contact me. Sorry, I can't do much, but I'll be happy to help you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 12:09 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.