After weeks of tireless judging, the results for the Free-For-All are finally in! Goodie gosh, this was some hard judging - there were so many amazing entries. ;w; I'm very proud of all of you~!
But anyway - TO THE RESULTS~
IN THIRD, a drama of cosmic proportions that will have you shouting angry curse words at the AI... It's KONPEKI! Cosmic Drama, by mitchi.exe!
IN SECOND, a little ray of sunshine full of fast-paced gameplay... It's Sundown Project, by Melondyne Rhyme!
And finally, IN FIRST, a prologue to fun and challenging experience... It's Zephyrus: Prologus, by Radscythe!
And the winner of the People's Choice Award: It's KONPEKI! Cosmic Drama, by mitchi.exe!
Congratulations to all of the participants! The turn out was overwhelming (really... really overwhelming. @__@), and you all did wonderfully! Thank you so much for your participation! >w<d Winners, feel free to PM me about prizes!
The final scores averaged out like this:
Book of Tao, by Twidger: 54/90 Crystal Heroes, by Avvy: 65/90 Flawless Perspective, by mike_buxton: 61/90 King of Sol, by EZAxess: 57/90 Konpeki! Cosmic Drama, by mitchi.exe: 72/90 Ninja Run, by Omegas7: 70/90 Noobslice, by Nelderson: 61/90 Rocket Survive Machine, by Gigglemoo: 61/90 Rosalyn, by Anna B: 57/90 School Play, by Ridvi: 49/90 Somnia: Gabriel, by Ciscolli: 55/90 Soul List, by hkoz: 49/90 Sundown Project, by Melondyne Rhyme: 78/90 Zephyrus Prologus, by Radscythe: 79/90
For detailed scores and commentary from the judges, see the spoilers below!
+NINJA RUN!+ by Omegas7
Originality 10/10 This is definitely not something we've seen before! There are very few platformers in general.. mostly because people intend to make RPGs with this program! It looks like you put quite a bit of thought into it. Good job!
Playability 20/25 Well, it hasn't ever crashed on me.. and I don't have any bugs to complain about. HOWEVER, through extensive trial and error (and Ookie yelling "THAT'S BS I DIDN'T HIT IT D8<"), I do believe that the area in which you are effected by the missles, and bombs on the ground is probably mili-pixels too big. I never had this problem with the ceiling bombs.
Fun Factor 18/25 I'm not going to lie, this game is ADDICTING at first. Like really addicting! But you can't help but expect the challenge to maybe increase over time? After a while you're just running for no reason. I can't say that there is anything WRONG with the gameplay; I would have just liked to see a pace increase, additional obstacle or something after maybe the first 1.5 - 2 minutes of gameplay. Still, I'm keeping this game on my desktop if that counts for anything.
Story 3/10 What story? It's about a skilled ninja who runs! No cause, no goal, he just runs. This game does not need a story, but I can't give you a high mark for the lack of one. </3
Aesthetics 6/10 Brown is just too warm of a color, I think. I figured maybe you didn't put much detail in the background, for the sake of making the ninja and obstacles stand out. But grey or some other nuetral tone would have been better for that. Music was fine, in fact, it was lovely. Good job! However, along with the lack of increased challenge, I was dying to see maybe a new background and music change after maybe a certain distance traveled. :<
Misc 10/10 I'm just going to use this section for effort. And well, sir, you clearly put a lot of effort into this! I always look forward to your projects and this is definitely on par with all of your other works; which is great, considering it was only for a contest~
TOTAL: 67/90 Overall, this is great. I couldn't tell you that this game needs work; it's very solid as is. All I can do is give you pointers on how to improve it, which is not something we see very often for contests! Good job, Omegas7, and thank you so much for participating!
NoobSlice by Nelderson
Originality 9/10 Wow, I never thought I'd see a gameboard style RPG! I didn't know how much you could actually do with that kind of gameplay, but adding battles and events, oh, this should really start a whole trend of this style; even I want to make one now! I applaud you for thinking outside the box, just as this contest encourages~
Playability 18/25 Sorry. I did not find anything game-breaking, but I simply couldn't get far enough into the game to detect any errors. The only thing I can knock you on is grammar errors, and the fact that I could not get very far.
Fun Factor 15/25 I can see this being pretty exciting in multiplayer mode! And if I had the time to master the rules and strategies, then I'd probably be SO powerful! But, that's the thing with board games... You only expect to go forward, not have to grind in the same area like in an RPG. Once I got around the lava area, I was just dying. u.u Though it takes some adjusting, and some common sense to figure out what to do, it's simple enough to jump right into~ I also suggest having an option in the menu, to see the entire board! Though you did post it in the thread, which is helpful.
Story 5/10 I didn't get far enough into the game to see any plot, if there was any. I got an introduction, and I made it to Jet-Sucks castle. Like Omegas7's game though, it doesn't really NEED a story. But you get points for at least trying, along with the humorous dialogue/item descriptions, and other events~ Aesthetics 6/10 It seems to be mostly RTP, but in a way that cleverly combines RPG elements with gameboard ones. The color coded path, the signs and chests.. almost reminds me of a monopoly board~ It would have been nice to see something other than RTP, but with the time constraints, there's no room to complain too much. Final Fantasy music though... come on. You realize that's one of the most over-used soundtracks ever, right? =w=
Misc 8/10 Time for effort! You used a lot of fun scripts that I've never seen before! They all worked really well with this style of game, and kept it from being boring. Sorry I decided to ragequit on it (and docked you because of it <.<). I want to play it again!
TOTAL: 61/90 Overall, I wish I had someone to play this with, to see what it's like! Maybe I'll bug Bobo... :3 Thank you for participating, Nelderson!
Book of Tao by Twidger
Originality 5/10 Though some puzzles were entertaining, and some frustrating, I can't say I haven't seen some of these before. Puzzle RPGs are a fun and are a nice break from the mindless grinding found in regular RPGs. Overall, though, this is just an RPG with puzzles, with enough challenge in them to get emotionally invested into!
Playability 15/25 Alright so I did find some bugs. But they didn't crash the game or make it unplayable. The database could use work. Tao is pretty much useless, and he's the playable character. The drops are a little too high, the monsters are a bit too strong, and overall it needs tweaking but not major fixing. Great job~
Fun Factor 12/25 Sorry, Twidger, but this didn't strike me as too interesting. Really I found myself rushing to find the next cutscene, because the gameplay is rather tedious, especially with the slightly unbalanced database. I did enjoy the thinking games though!
Story 9/10 Basket Head is such a lovable character. Though most of the plot was a little predictable and cliche, it worked. I would have liked Tao to speak up, but silent protagonist is sometimes better~
Aesthetics 7/10 Hm, well, most of this is the Samurai RTP... if not all of it. But that aside, you used them well, and you're clearly skilled at mapping and such. I especially loved the fogs and tints you used. I'm actually not sure of the soundtrack, but I'm guessing that's also the Samurai RTP? Great use of it~ especially when used to glorify Basket Head's monologue xD
Misc 8/10 Overall, I can see the effort and thought put into this. Your strong point seems to be story/dialogue. You also know a good bit about general RPG elements, which makes me proud~
TOTAL: 56/90 Like I said in Originality, this is still just another RPG with puzzles mixed in. The story was fun but the puzzles were kind of confusing at times. But, it wouldn't be much of a puzzle game without being a little confusing, right? I liked watching this game more than playing it, though so, thanks for participating!
School Play by Ridvi
Originality 8/10 Wow, what can I say. A timing game. I've seen games where they include this, but I've never seen it play the main role. Despite me getting frustrated and having to literally count out loud how long it was until the next move, I felt accomplished when I got it right. xD Great idea!
Playability 15/25 I found some bugs that will force you to restart the game to your last save if you mess up the timing. Also parts where you can jump ahead of the game and play parts that the story didn't introduce yet. But overall, if you are an obedient player, you can get through this fine. Also, I can't help but think that the timing could be a LITTLE less sensative... and definitely less long pauses. Having to wait 15 seconds for the next move made me nervous! But I guess that's a good thing..
Fun Factor 18/25 I think I got more angry that I had to restart the scene to remember what the timing was, than having fun accomplishing it. But after a while my anger made me laugh so... I guess it's mostly fun! If only there were an option to exit or replay the routine again. Overall, the fact that this is not an easy game does not hurt you, only makes it better since games shouldn't be too easy!
Story 6/10 I could kind of relate with the player. Even though he was confused and made funny remarks, he still went along with it. Syla was quite bossy, dragging those boys with her to run this. And just what was the purple guy's job? But the ending was hilarious and made the overall story seem much cuter rather than confusing. You could have done more with the characters and realism but what you have is workable.
Aesthetics 5/10 RTP. It's all RTP besides the music. Good choices of music but I would have liked map music to set the atmosphere better. Another good thing that would have helped would be emotes for the faces. I could see that being pretty effective. Your mapping could use work. Some tiles were used incorrectly or just oddly. Learn to either fill up empty space or just make your maps a little smaller so they don't look so plain.
Misc. 8/10 You must have done a lot of eventing to get this right! I remember trying to make a timing game.. it was really tasking so good job on making SEVERAL different timing games!
Total 60/90 All I have to say is, good job! I am a sucker for developers that are new to RMVX. You didn't focus on eye candy or glorifying your project with pretty graphics, you just made a really fun game with an original concept and lots of eventing. Please continue to make games and get better in the areas you could use help in! Thanks for participating~!
King of Sol by EZaxess
Originality 6/10 I've only seen a few other games with battles on the map. Reminds me of a simplified version of Kazeko and the Midnight Guild fighting... though that style frustrated me from the lack of being able to physically see your stats, this style has no problem with that. There isn't enough gameplay to see what the whole game is going to be about, though, or even if combat is necessary, seeing as you can simply move past your enemies. Besides the battle, I can see a hint of those "choose your destiny" type games, but again, there wasn't enough gameplay to see it in action.
Playability 21/25 No bugs, no errors, no lag, that I saw. However, maneuvering around the map was a little confusing at first with some plants looking like they can be walked on. The dialogue box is a little jumpy, I don't know what that is. Probably some error with the script. Tutorial for the combat would have been nice, but it was straightforward enough to figure out. So yeah, overall this is definitely a working game.
Fun Factor 18/25 It kept me interested, for sure. But I was more curious rather than entertained. I have to dock you for cutting my curiosity short with that abrupt ending there. You sure are a tease!
Story 8/10 Cute intro, I liked being able to choose my personality. Keeps me interested much like the gameplay. I went forth, wanting to know my true self! What are these markings?! And why don't they show up on my sprite?! Damn it all!
Aesthetics 10/10 Beautiful mapping and use of graphics. Music was pleasant.
Misc. 10/10 As a frequenter of IRC, I overheard that you did this in a VERY short time. For what came out, you put week's worth of effort in hour's worth of time.
Total 73/90 Very short but very solid. Beautiful and intriguing. Leaves me wanting more (that's what she said). Great job, EZ, and thanks for participating :3
Rocket Survive Machine by Gigglemoo
Originality 9/10 A classic survival.. puzzle.. thing.. The last simple, yet fun game I played was Flash! by OriginalWij. Still, I love the style and most people wouldn't have put the time into something like this.
Playability 14/25 I found some errors, and a major one, at least in the file I tested... the spinners don't actually do ANYTHING? Literally, I walked right under them. =/ Don't know if that was intended... I don't think so...
Fun Factor 16/25 At first I put a lot of thought into all of my movements in order to avoid getting hit. But after a while, there are opportunities to simply run right past everything.. which made it incredibly easy.
Story 8/10 Wow, you managed to uphold a story in a puzzle game. It was very entertaining and silly. :3
Aesthetics 9/10 Great job on the retro style! That's all I can really say. Love the (custom?) tile/sprite work, and the awesome BGMs~
Misc 8/10 You did a very good job for the short amount of time you had. And to complete as many levels as you did, is very impressive. I would have only expected about 8 levels but you out-did yourself. ;O
Total 64/90 Overall, this is a pretty solid game if only there wasn't that horrible error. Good job, I really loved it! Thanks for participating ^w^
Sundown Project by Melondyne Rhyme
Originality 9/10 First time I've seen a game that's so involved. Yes, some games have the basic fire weak to water, but this goes beyond the standard turn-based RPG. Maybe I should have put it on Easy, but it was really hard to keep up with on Normal! Still, I don't take points for challenges, I take points from the slight elements that I've seen before. Overall, great concept!
Playability 20/25 A few bugs were found but nothing crashed the game. Everything is pretty solid, at least, as far as I got!
Fun Factor 16/25 The lack of tutorial makes this game very difficult to get into. At first, I was just button mashing, trying to figure out what the heck was going on. It's an extremely new and challenging concept that takes some patience to get into. But once I got a slight idea of what to do, it is very involved and makes you think about your moves more than the common RPG.
Story 8/10 Really interesting story that got me curious immediately~ The setting is very ambiguous and makes you want to know more. Though I would have liked to see more development in the characters themselves.
Aesthetics 10/10 Everything from the title, to the menu, to the maps is custom and interesting. Very good use of theme to bring the whole game together. I loved it~
Misc. 10/10 You put a lot of thought into originality, I can tell. Not only did you have to think of it, you made it work in action! A 10 for your outstanding effort, especially as a newcomer~
Total 73/90 Overall, though it is challenging, that just means it is an unfamiliar concept, which is what we encouraged! Thank you for particpating!
Rosalyn by Anna B
Originality 4/10 Well, this reminded me of Harvest Moon at first. Just a sort of "live life" kind of game. Basically no challenge at all but still appeals to some audiences. But mostly, this has been done before.
Playability 20/25 Nothing game-crashing. Nothing interfered with gameplay. Pretty solid.
Fun Factor 14/25 Fetch quests and mini-jobs aren't exactly entertaining. I personally held the shift key the entire time to speed through the said tasks.
Story 7/10 A romance with a tsundere~ I see you're pretty good with dialogue and character, but your plot could use some work. Yeah, the girl and guy lived together, but that alone isn't enough to build a relationship off of. A few cliche bumps into each other or maybe a squabble that ended in laughter would have given off the hint much better. Good story, but it left me wanting more.. not in an exactly good way, though. =/
Aesthetics 6/10 Appreciate the use of almost 90% custom tiles, characters and other graphics.. but just having them there is not good enough. Knowing how to use them correctly is just as important. I also found really odd use of sound effects in the beginning, and unfitting music in some scenes. Love the effort, though!
Misc 8/10 You are definitely on the right track to making greater games than this. Do your best!
Total 59/90 It was very sweet and simple, but sadly, not the sort of original gameplay we were anticipating. Good luck and thanks for participating!
Crystal Heros by Avvy
Originality 7/10 Though there are few games with on-map battles, it is still a familiar concept. But I liked it. Refreshing from the typical fade-to-black scenario.
Playability 20/25 I stopped the first time because Grandma's face crashed the game. But otherwise no real bugs.
Fun Factor 15/25 Maybe because I had it on "Sissy".. but this game was really easy. I just charged up to monsters and button mashed them to death. My loyal but sometimes stupid AIs also did a good job ganging up on them, allowing me to blow through this game without any strategy or effort. I might try it again on a higher difficulty and see if I change my mind. ;O Overall it was straightforward and my skills never worked. >: (
Story 8/10 The classic Avvy-type characters. That is, heroes from a clearly different side of the planet (more like the universe) who are knowledgeable in familiar internet memes. Seriously, what side of the internet are they from? Overall humorous, which seems to be your forte.
Aesthetics 8/10 Probably most of this is RTP. BUT. Only a few people know how to make this style WORK. You made it work, and even the classic default characters worked really well with your addition of the emoticons. The music was fitting, and especially made me chuckle a bit when inside the cave.
Misc 9/10 I really can't tell how long it would have taken to get that script to work. It could have been a breeze or it could have taken up most of your time. Either way, there was enough effort that went into mapping, databasing, and general completion to get you a high score. :3 Good job.
Total 67/90 It's a sweet little game, like most of your stuff. I laughed a few times. The gameplay style you chose was rare but not completely original. You clearly gave it a good portion of your time and effort, though! Good luck and thank you for participating!
Flawless Perspective by mike_buxton
Originality 9/10 I was not aware of what genre at first. But mystery puzzles was an excellent choice for originality. I don't think there are many on this site, if any. Good job!
Playability 20/25 Seeing as someone out there actually beat this game, I see that it is possible to do so. However, minor mapping errors and confusing passibility at times lose you 5 points</3
Fun Factor 18/25 Honestly, I don't know if me screaming "WHAAT. THAT'S BS" just like Omegas7's game makes it fun. xD However, it kept me coming back, and my enthusiasm made my boyfriend perk up and try it a few times himself. So I'll lean on the higher score, though I did not enjoy dying as many times as I had to.
Story 7/10 Another factor I'm not sure how to score you on is your "story". I did not get far enough to completely piece it together, so everything I encountered just threw me off completely. xD If it was a mindfuck you were going for, congratulations! I'm completely blown away.
Aesthetics 6/10 Good use of Mack and other tiles. Love how you added animation to some of the objects you can move around. Not a lot of music though. Music is nice for creating atmosphere.. but I guess silence creates a creepier one.
Misc. 10/10 Must have taken a lot of thought and time to complete this. Good job~
Total 70/90 Overall, this is a great game for it's genre. I wish I had the patience to go through all of it. Thank you for participating, and good luck!
Somnia -GABRIEL- by Ciscolii
Originality 8/10 Besides the almost-strategy battles, the concept is not entirely new. Still, you did a pretty good job.
Playability 21/25 I did not detect any major bugs. Your battle system has a little bit of errors though. Sometimes it would attack a monster that was not in the effected radius of the attack. One time, the game left the monster on the screen after I killed it. So it needs to be tuned up a little bit!
Fun Factor 15/25 There is no real strategy to play this. All of the battles are forced, and as long as you heal yourself every few turns, you won't ever die. I wish my characters had a health bar in the battle so I would know when I'm about to die. All and all, I got pretty bored playing this after a while.
Story 5/10 Your beginning was interesting, but after that, nothing was really explained. Why are there monsters in the world? Why didn't that guy want to let me pass? Why is that guy there to help me, yet he wields NONE of the tools needed to navigate the damn place? Plotholes, plotholes, plotholes..
Aesthetics 5/10 Maps are rather uninteresting. It's all RTP and Famitsu graphics. Music was decent.
Misc. 7/10 You could have done better in other areas, but the effort you put into eventing must have been massive. I myself wouldn't care to event my own battle system. Good job!
Total 61/90 Overall this game just throws you into this odd place and doesn't explain much. I didn't even know what controls to use in the battle system at first. It's a good base but needs a lot of fleshing out. Thank you for participating!
Soul List by hkoz
Originality 8/10 The gameplay kind of reminded me of Monster Hunter. Usually, this concept is used as a side feature, not the entirety of the game. Which makes this game pretty original for doing the opposite!
Playability 18/25 It's pretty solid, though the grammar errors are quite bothersome.
Fun Factor 16/25 If I had more time, I would have played more of this. But I actually really love task systems. However, it would have helped to have some option in the menu that lets you review your requests. There also needs to be more of a tutorial in general, and maybe some direct place to go so you can remember what the cat girl said. x_x
Story 6/10 A lot of things didn't make much sense. Also, you need to work on character development. You can't make it sound like all of the characters talk like yourself. This made them appear a bit dull and all the same.
Aesthetics 5/10 Mostly RTP. Your mapping was too cluttered in some places, and too open in others. It's not really professional to use the same sprites more than once, either, unless it's 3 or 4 generic looking ones in the towns. The music was fine, I especially liked the ambience within the guild.
Misc. 9/10 You obviously thought this through, and even made it clear that this is just a demo. So that means you have even more work done than this, and that's awesome~
Total 62/90 Overall it is pretty solid. Fun to the right type of audience. But the graphics and story need some work. Thank you for participating~
Zephyrus: Prologus by Radscythe
Originality 7/10 Some great features, but none I have not heard of. The gameplay is just a more elaborate version of most other RPGs. Still, you did a good job!
Playability 25/25 Didn't run into any errors.
Fun Factor 22/25 I tested this game longer than I had planned to. I love how everything is so neatly explained and easy to learn. The monsters are a bit difficult near the end, though.. should have stocked up on food!
Story 10/10 Very well-rounded characters, interesting plot, and overall very interesting to play through.
Aesthetics 9/10 It must have been difficult creating a modern-day setting. Still, most of this was easily accessible XP graphics. And are all of the character sprites jumpy like the main character's in XP? The music was cool, too.
Misc. 10/10 Your effort is top tier. For all of the mapping, dialogue, and gameplay, it is an impressive piece for the time you were given. ^.^
Total 83/90 Though the gameplay isn't EXTREMELY original, it works very well and I definitely want to see more from you in the future. Great job and thanks for participating!
Konpeki! Cosmic Drama by mitchi.exe
Originality 10/10 The gameboard style RPG was pretty unheard of on this site until you and Nelderson rolled in. Great job~
Playability 25/25 Did not find any bugs, and though many complained about lag, there wasn't any for me.
Fun Factor 18/25 I was very curious as to how this game would play. But once figured out, it's boring and tedious. Maybe reduce the phases to 4 or 5, and definitely consider multiplayer! It's uninteresting when played alone..
Story 8/10 Taking the throne. Everyone's greed brings them together. Haha. I really like your characters, though. All have the cliche roles that make games excellent.
Aesthetics 9/10 I don't know how hard it must have been to convert RTP to isometric view. Otherwise, everything is custom and beautifully done~
Misc. 10/10 Lot of effort into making it appear as a commercial game rather than just a contest submission. Good job~
Total 80/90 It's very well put together but a little slow for my tastes. Board games in the real world are generally meant for more than one player, so the same should apply here. Regardless, I had fun playing this. Thank you for participating!
Originality 10/10 Not seen in VX at least.
Playability 20/25 You can hit some lag with initialize the gravity jump i noticed, but nothing else, nonetheless you need to jump a lot so it's noticable to me at least.
Fun Factor 23/25 Addictive, but can become a bit tedious as there is not increase in difficulty as time goes by.
Story 1/10 You gave us a pebble of story.
Aesthetics 7/10 It looked nice for what it was meant to be, not crazy glossy though or anything.
Misc. 10/10 As a fellow coder, I can appreciate that this type of stuff can be a bit difficult. I loved seeing the code behind it. (I too have the rect collision detection, though have never had need of it.)
Originality 9/10 Neat I guess, though I personally have seen something along the lines of it, I don't think most people have.
Playability 23/25 If you bothered to go through a tutorial, it was very obvious what to do, though playing alone is a bit slow. The odd menu should have been gone about differently.
Fun Factor 15/25 I didn't personally have much fun with this one, as a lack of AI left me a bit lonely and it became tedious.
Story 7/10 A bit cliche and done before, though still acceptable
Aesthetics 6/10 RTP, with some mapping errors, though all-in-all it looks better than a lot of other RTP-based games.
Misc. 7/10 Sadly, I saw how sloppy the code was in some places, I guess that is a bit of a disadvantage and leveling of the playing field though, for non-coders.
Book Of Tao:
Originality 4/10 Nothing too original here. Classic rescue story, with some interesting characters.
Playability 14/25 There were bugs, that's for sure. Enemies were tough to defeat in drove, especially when they followed you. There was lag in a lot of places as well.
Fun Factor 14/25 Maybe it was just me but I had issues with taking much joy from playing this game, but I can see why one could.
Story 7/10 Cliched, but your characters were great so yeah.
Aesthetics 6/10 Samurai with script effects.
Misc. 6/10 Mini-games were just already coded scripts, and I could personally ID many of the ones you used. Puzzles were easy to solve, for me at least.
Originality 7/10 Nothing too crazy here, but not something you seen in vx everyday either.
Playability 21/25 I can hit a good chunk of lag every once and a while in the town map. There are passibility errors, most notably in the cliff map. Otherwise, I didn't see many issues.
Fun Factor 17/25 It was okay, but nothing too exciting that really grabbed me.
Story 7/10 I thought it was predictible, though i still enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the characters.
Aesthetics 7/10 There was effort here, that's for sure. But, a lot of graphics clashed with each-other which was off-putting in my opinion.
Misc. 8/10 A lot of effort seems to have gone into this, and I can respect that.
Originality 6/10 I could recognize most of the things used.
Playability 25/25 Loved it. I hit no lag, and found no bugs. I loved the difficulty, you had to play smart and I just fall for games like that.
Fun Factor 21/25 As above, I had a lot of fun thinking about what I should do.
Story 10/10 Story is clear as crystal, and had a lot of fun, creepy areas. I was very engaged in the story being told.
Aesthetics 6/10 Music is good, but I actually didn't like the maps and sprites, they seemed to clash very noticably at point and it was distracting, though with the limited time it was quite good.
Misc. 8/10 Time seems to have been put into this very deeply. The game itself is very well-rounded and quite enjoyable.
Originality 5/10 Common scripts, common story, common humor.
Playability 18/25 Had some lag from the light effects and battle system, but otherwise well done.
Fun Factor 18/25 Basically a button masher which can be fun at times, but not so much in VX sadly.
Story 7/10 The story was clear and had some humor in it, though it was nothing special.
Aesthetics 6/10 RTP with light effects, not much more to say.
Misc. 6/10 The scripts do most of the work for you admitedly, though you used some of mine so
Rocket Survive Machine:
Originality 8/10 Don't see this type of thing on VX too often.
Playability 20/25 No lag or anything but the pattern would screw up or something and it would throw me off.
Fun Factor 10/25 Personally, I didn't have much fun in this. It was sooooo easy.
Story 4/10 For what story there was, it was poorly paced and executed. Too many questions, and very little sense of purpose. Also, what's with all the memes?
Aesthetics 9/10 Every looks spiffy except an occasional out-of-place lava tile.
Misc. 4/10 Meh.
Originality 7/10 I've seen some like this before, but executed differently.
Playability 17/25 A lot of small bugs weakened the experience, though nothing too majour i guess.
Fun Factor 13/25 Too easy, no HP bar yet I never died anyways so I guess it didn't matter much.
Story 4/10 Too much of the story was not explained, and there were too many inconsistencies.
Aesthetics 5/10 Average RTP and commonly used graphics with average maps, pretty average.
Misc. 7/10 The eventing must've been a hassle, that's for sure.
Konpeki! Cosmic Drama:
Originality 9/10 Not really much like in in vx terms.
Playability 24/25 100% playable, no lag, but something just felt off about it I dunno :x
Fun Factor 9/25 I was bored after the first few minutes of gameplay, when I actually got to the real gameplay :|
Story 8/10 Well I understood it all and it was well executed, but it didn't really draw me in or get me involved.
Aesthetics 10/10 Quite well done indeed.
Misc. 7/10 Effort filled, pretty good.
King Of Sol:
Originality 7/10 Nothing too magnificient in this category, at least not shown @__@
Playability 18/25 Some hardcore lag up in here, and I had to find the font myself :x
Fun Factor 17/25 I was quite interested, though the unskippable intro was annoying D:
Story 10/10 Very cool with what you were able to show.
Aesthetics 10/10 Just beautiful, sounds great, by far the best looking one of them all.
Misc. 10/10 You did all this in like, a day so yeah.
Originality 9/10 Not something you see as the main point of the game, it's more of a side-thing.
Playability 16/25 Too picky with the timing, and some very long pauses.
Fun Factor 9/25 It really annoyed me when i had to start over, and it can happen a lot. I was kinda sick of the game after a while.
Story 7/10 Nothing was wrong, but it wasn't very interesting either.
Aesthetics 5/10 Just RTP with some music, which I didn't like either.
Misc. 9/10 Timing games are a real pain to event, I would know, it's why i scripted one instead haha.
Originality 9/10 Pretty neat I guess, but lasck that real pizazz to get the 10
Playability 22/25 Good chunk of minour bugs but the game could progress as normal.
Fun Factor 23/25 Lack of instructions didn't hold me back at all, I think tutorials are such a waste of time and ruins the realisticness. I had a a lot of fun having to actually think about moves usually.
Story 8/10 Good, nothing much else to say.
Aesthetics 10/10 Fantastic custom (at least, not stuff I've seen) stuff EVERYWHERE, AS FAR AS THE EYE COULD SEE.
Misc. 10/10 Super points for effort, just very nice all together.
Originality 9/10 Puzzles, puzzles everywhere!
Playability 18/25 Confusive mapping and passbility is very noticable and hinders gameplay.
Fun Factor 16/25 It was okay, but after my first go through I didn't think I could play again.
Story 6/10 I had some difficulty at first grasping the story, but after I pieced it all together, it was still lackluster.
Aesthetics 7/10 Silence is well used, if it was intended, I assume it was. Mack tiles were used OKAY.
Misc. 9/10 Not much to say here.
Originality 6/10 I've seen it before, but not on these boards.
Playability 22/25 No game-stopping bugs or lag, but grammatical errors run-a-rampant with this one.
Fun Factor 16/25 I've played too many professional games like this to take much joy in these types of games anymore, though it was done well enough.
Story 5/10 The characters had no character. The plot had no thickening. The dialogue had errors.
Aesthetics 5/10 Some average RTP mapping, with a lot of inconsistency in style.
Misc. 9/10 Skip to your lou, buddy.
1. Originality 5/10 Your average life/farming sim game with a little bit of RPG gameplay thrown in there. Nothing groundbreaking as far as games in general go, but not something you typically see in RPG maker. :3 2. Playability 20/25 Definitely playable, but I noticed a few minor graphical bugs (mostly involving leaving your cabin before you go to sleep; the overlay stays on the screen and it�€™s suddenly morning). Also, it would have been nice if there was some way to keep track of the directions I�€™d been given! I sort of zipped through Axe�€™s instructions and had to figure out how to fix the fences and what not on my own. OTL 3. Fun Factor 5/25 Unfortunately, I can�€™t give this a very high score! Most of the game play was based on chance, which doesn�€™t make for a very fun time (especially in the chicken mini game). Aside from that, it was a lot of walking around and clicking on things, which is also not that fun. I feel like you could have done more with the few battles you had in the game; as it was, they felt unbalanced, and I was able to get by mashing attack until everything died. 3. Story 3/10 Unfortunately, the story and characters had very little appeal to me! I felt like the romance between Aldan and Rosalyn moved too quickly, and the introduction of Quinn as a rival came out of nowhere and was resolved too quickly. I thought the amnesia plot set up was interesting, but it ended up falling flat when Aldan miraculously remembered everything and was able to explain it all. I also wasn�€™t too terribly fond of the lead characters, but I did like Axe and Quinn! 4. Aesthetics 5/10 The music for some scenes was really nice, and the mapping was lovely. I do think you could have made some of the maps a little smaller, though �€“ they felt a bit too big, especially some of the insides. 5. Misc. 7/10 I really liked the work token idea! This is probably just a personal thing, but I love �€œless is more�€� when it comes to money in games. X3 I wish I�€™d had more stuff to spend it on, though. ;__;
Final Score 45/90
Rocket Survive Machine
1. Originality 8/10 �€“ Fairly innovative 2. Playability 23/25 �€“ Knocking off two points because the rockets were sometimes discharged at weird intervals and it messed up the patterns a little, which made for some really cheap deaths. xD 3. Fun Factor 15/25 �€“ The learning curve was alright, but some levels were a bit too easy, especially in the middle-end sections. Amp up the challenge! I did enjoy that I had to figure stuff out on my own, though. I�€™d say removing all the tutorial dialogue would actually be a better design choice for this game than leaving it in! Sitting through a bunch of dialogue when I wanted to keep playing killed the pacing for me. I�€™d suggest spacing story stuff out between levels; maybe once every 5-10�€�? Depends on how long you want the final product to be. 3. Story 5/10 The story was confusing and surreal, but I was diggin�€™ it. It synched up with gameplay which was great, but I didn�€™t really feel like it came to a resolution or actually had a purpose. Also, the dialogue was a tad brick-to-the-face-subtle at times (particularly with the constant rhetorical questions), which was a turn off. Also, I was sad that eye thing was never much of a threat! I felt like I should have been nervous that it was following me, but there was never any real sense of urgency. 4. Aesthetics 8/10 It was nice! It all meshed well together and nothing felt TOO out of place. The lava tile seemed off in comparison to the other, simpler tiles, though. 5. Misc. 5/10 �€“ The constant references to internet memes were really distracting, and broke my focus on the game atmosphere you were creating. I say you�€™re better off without them! I also think you should amp up the surrealist nature of the game �€“ I liked what you laid out in the beginning, but I felt like it fell flat at the end.
Final Score: 64/90
1. Originality 5/10 Nothing really new here; another story about a group of kids saving the world 2. Playability 18/25 For the most part it does work! There�€™s a few problems with party AI (as in, they don�€™t follow you sometimes OTL). The revive item doesn�€™t work at all, which was really irritating, and I Charlie�€™s status healing skill didn�€™t heal every status. ;__; 3. Fun Factor 20/25 I actually had a lot of fun playing this! I felt like the gameplay was pretty balanced, the party actually did stuff; it was an all-around good time. :3 I wish the game had been a bit longer �€“ mostly the Temple of Shadows could have been improved upon, I think. I�€™d like to see this game expanded upon and have more puzzles and the like added in! 3. Story 10/10 Easily one of the best parts of the game! The dialogue was funny and the characters were all really distinct �€“ I quite enjoyed each and every one of them. :3 The story was cute and served its purpose well. >w<d 4. Aesthetics 9/10 Everything was perfect except for the blue tint at the campsite. OTL I-It hurt my eyes a little after the dark, rainy forest. ;___; 5. Misc. 7/10 The parody aspect of this �€“ I think you pulled it off pretty well! My only issue with it was how self-aware it was. I�€™m personally more inclined to straight-faced parody; that is, playing the joke so straight, the audience actually has to think really hard about whether or not the game/piece in question is a joke or not.
Final Score 69/90
King of Sol
1. Originality 5/10 I wasn�€™t able to get far enough into the game to see if it changed any, but a lost prince looking for his heritage isn�€™t anything groundbreaking. However, it wasn�€™t totally cliché ridden, so points there. :3 2. Playability 5/25 I was able to walk around, but that was about it. I had no idea what I was doing, half the messages were off the screen so I couldn�€™t read them, I had no idea what the HUD meant, I had no idea how I was performing in battles, there was ridic lag, the font didn�€™t work, dashing was disabled on the main map�€� overall, it was pretty broken, which was rather disappointing! ;__; It looked like a lot of work had gone into the various systems, and I was sad I couldn�€™t play around with them more. 3. Fun Factor 0/25 Can�€™t say I really had any fun while playing this. I�€™m sure I would have if it was cleaned up, but as it is, it was too buggy to be enjoyable at all. I do think, though, that if this is cleaned, I�€™d enjoy it more. :3 3. Story 5/10 I didn�€™t make it too far in, again, but from what I saw the story was intriguing! 4. Aesthetics 7/10 The game was very pretty! The mapping was nice and the music/sounds were good. The HUD was pretty clunky, which bugged me, and the lag made it pretty hard to get around. The intro graphics were also really nice! Also, the title screen looked wonderful. =w=d 5. Misc. 5/10 The intro dragged on quite a bit, but it was informative and set the scene nicely. I�€™d recommend having the player control when to change the little title card things in the intro; as it is, it makes the intro feel ridic slow.
Final Score 27/90
Konpeki! Cosmic Drama
1. Originality 8/10 I�€™ve never seen this in an RM game before, but it�€™s pretty much Mario Party for VX. 2. Playability 25/25 No complaints here. It�€™s very solidly done! 3. Fun Factor 15/25 A few minor issues. The first is that, after about 3 rounds, it gets a little monotonous. I think that has more to do with the fact this is a party game, though, and I�€™m forced to play it on single player! Another thing �€“ the pacing of the other character�€™s turns was pretty boring. I say speed it up �€“ it�€™s a computer, it can run fast. xD 3. Story 7/10 Totally makes sense, but I wasn�€™t sure all that exposition from K-MAN was needed. It was pretty boring to sit through; I kinda wish it had been either shorter or optional. Knowing it didn�€™t affect my enjoyment of the game whatsoever. 4. Aesthetics 10/10 Everything was gorgeous and it sounded fantastic. Fabulously done. :3 5. Misc. 5/10 MAKE A MULTIPLAYER VERSION. ;___; I felt like this would have been a million times more fun with a few friends. Hell, if you could somehow get it online, EVEN BETTER. My main gripe with this was the fact it got so monotonous. You did good by spicing it up with battle rounds, but it was a little annoying how the same characters kept getting chosen for that! It�€™d be cool if it was random the first time, then the second round had the two characters that didn�€™t get a shot at it, and then the final round had the two winners of the previous rounds fighting. Maybe you could also have the losers fight�€�? I ended up coming in second, but a large portion of that had to do with the fact the COMPUTER IS A CHEATING BASTARD AND I GOT LOUSY ROLLS. ;___;
Final Score 70/90
1. Originality 9/10 Pretty innovative! I�€™ve played stuff like this before, but nothing immediately comes to mind, which is good. xD 2. Playability 23/25 Seems to work perfectly, except I think the space around the missiles is a bit too big�€� I swear I switched gravity AFTER it went by, but I still got dinged. 3. Fun Factor 20/25 One day I will destroy this game and be the ultimate ninja. B| It�€™s something I could play quickly, which is nice, but not something I�€™d actively seek out and play a lot of. 3. Story 2/10 There�€™s a character and a premise, but that�€™s about it. 4. Aesthetics 8/10 Looks good! I�€™m not too fond of the RTP sound effects, though �€“ I think you could have found an alternative. Everything else was custom! D: 5. Misc. 10/10 THIS GAME IS SO ADDICTIVE. I�€™d share my score now, but I�€™m too embarrassed. OTL NEXT TIIIIIME. >>>BI
Final Score 72/90
1. Originality 8/10 I�€™ll give this the same score as Konpeki! �€“ again, hadn�€™t seen a board game style game around before, but this also had a very Mario Party-ish feel. 2. Playability 18/25 For the most part it worked; there were a few minor things like walking up to Pine and�€�having a battle not immediately trigger. xD Also, I walked off the board once or twice, which felt a bit strange. The key combinations for the weapons were off, too, but that may be because my default controls have been edited. D: 3. Fun Factor 10/25 The lack of AI made it kind of boring after a while, and the fact I had to grind in a board game made me all �€œwhat B|�€�. I think your time would have been better spent on balancing the monster encounters so each fight was fun, instead of mashing attack with the button combos. I did like some of the other little mini games, though �€“ they were cute. :3 I didn�€™t like landing on the red button and randomly being sent back to start, though �€“ it�€™d have been nice if that had been either explained or more obvious that it was harmful. After that, though, the bad spaces were pretty easy to avoid, and the game was mostly slogging through boring fights. 3. Story 5/10 Pine is evil bluh bluh bluh old news 4. Aesthetics 8/10 Everything was default RTP, but it looked nice! The board layout was good, and the menus were nice. >w<d 5. Misc. 5/10 Dialogue stuff �€“ if possible, it�€™s probably better NOT to make dialogue unskippable. It�€™s probably better to avoid the \| command �€“ it just makes me irate! ;__;
Final Score 54/90
1. Originality 10/10 This was actually very innovative! I can�€™t think of another game I�€™ve ever played that was about putting on a show. 2. Playability 10/25 Barely. OTL There�€™s no indicator of where I�€™m supposed to step, or when, so it�€™s all guess work. Which is�€� not that playable. 3. Fun Factor 0/25 I can see how this would be fun if it was fixed up a little, but as it stands it�€™s pretty�€� not fun. Guessing where to stand is more annoying than anything! ;__; 3. Story 5/10 From what I saw, the story made total sense and was the game play, which was wonderful! The characters all kind of blended together, though �€“ none of them stood out to me or were particularly memorable. 4. Aesthetics 3/10 They were okay; the maps were pretty big and empty. The music was nice, but I think I only heard one piece of music�€�? I get that the kids were in a silent theatre, but I think you could have made use of some BGS or something to improve the atmosphere. =w=d 5. Misc. 5/10 I like the idea of putting on a play, but this really isn�€™t anything like a real stage production. You need auditions, costumes, backstage�€� I actually think a game that incorporates all parts of mounting a production would be really interesting! I�€™m sure someone could figure out how to make auditions a fun game to play. OTL I say keep building on this concept �€“ it has the potential to be super cool!
Final Score 33/90
1. Originality 8/10 The story wasn�€™t too original, but the gameplay was! 2. Playability 15/25 From what I played, everything worked. The main thing that bugged me, though, was the lack of HP bars �€“ it was difficult not knowing how much HP I had or had left. Also, I wasn�€™t really sure how the menus worked or what was going on in that labyrinth puzzle thing you had going on, and I really would have liked a way to escape battles after a while. 3. Fun Factor 10/25 The wandering around got really old after a while, and the battles got pretty stale. However, the first few battles were pretty cool! I�€™d love to see you work more with the tactical system here and polish up the game play a little. 3. Story 3/10 I wasn�€™t that engaged in the story from what I saw. 4. Aesthetics 4/10 Aesthetics were okay �€“ the mapping wasn�€™t that great and the sprites were pretty ehhh, but the interface graphics (particularly for the menu) were pretty cool! 5. Misc. 10/10 Potential! This entry as a tonne of potential if you polish it up. I say revamp the story, get some HP/MP bars and what not, and you could have a hit on your hands. :3
Final Score 50/90
1. Originality 2/10 Mission based combat, a young son as the breadwinner �€“ all stuff I�€™ve seen before. 2. Playability 15/25 There were a few careless error (after the song mini-game, the stepping animation was still on and Sam was walking in place; in the opening scene, Sam called Mat �€œSam�€�) and lag that could have been avoided with smaller maps and less events. The battles were broken �€“ since this game was obviously built on top of the Melody demo, Sam kept the Omnislash command which basically won every battle in a matter of seconds, which made things easy, but no fun. ;__; There was also no way to keep track of the quests I�€™d taken, which was pretty irritating! 3. Fun Factor 5/25 I had no idea where I was going half the time, no idea how to continue the plot other than taking more missions, battles were dry, watching the song sequence over again after I�€™d just finished it was irritating�€� not that much fun, over all. I did like the idea of the song game, though! I bet you could make an entire game based on entertaining. 3. Story 2/10 I had no idea what was going on, and the constant use of emoticons and spelling/grammatical errors were a major turn off. 4. Aesthetics 3/10 The sprites were mismatched or repeated several times in the same map, the maps were massive and easy to get lost in, and the lack of battle backgrounds was off-putting. I did like the musical selections, though! (The non-RTP ones) 5. Misc. 5/10 I liked the idea of a spirit living the lives of different people! Maybe you could open the game up a little bit more but letting the player choose which scenario to follow, and have the game built around several of these short scenarios. There�€™s good potential there!
Final Score 32/90
The Sundown Project
1. Originality 10/10 This was very original! I loved the atmosphere of the game �€“ really nice. 2. Playability 23/25 It mostly works �€“ I discovered one game crashing bug when I tried to exit out of the shop scene. It was also a little hard to figure out that I really could climb those ladders, and it wasn�€™t just me walking through walls. Other than that, though, I had no problems. 3. Fun Factor 22/25 The gameplay was a little too fast paced for my liking and it definitely became a mash-X fest (or rather, hold Shift), but the boss battles were fun! I loved the shop idea and the skill setting �€“ it really made me think about what the best strategy would be for success. 3. Story 8/10 I really liked the premise here, but the lack of characterization was disappointing. 4. Aesthetics 8/10 Gorgeous all around. My only beef was how dark it was! I get that it was probably supposed to be atmospheric, but I think lightening it up the teensiest bit wouldn�€™t have hurt anything. 5. Misc. 8/10 The timer was super awesome �€“ not knowing how much more dungeon there was definitely pushed me to play harder. I think, though, this stopped me from playing the game intelligently �€“ that is, I mashed X and ran away from a lot of encounters. I�€™d have to finish this entry to decide if that�€™s a good thing or a bad thing, though!
Final Score 79/90
Book of Tao
1. Originality 5/10 Your standard JRPG story set against a Japanese backdrop, but with some pretty rad mini-games and puzzles. 2. Playability 15/25 There was a saving related bug (I can�€™t remember what caused it now�€�?), and after using Kyuubi�€™s flute for the first time, I suddenly started randomly encountering foxes everywhere, even in the ice sliding puzzle and in town! Tao was pretty weak; his healing skill wasn�€™t good enough to make him that useful. The riddles, while fun, were a little difficult if only for the fact I couldn�€™t easily keep track of the information. 3. Fun Factor 15/25 The battles were pretty stale, but the puzzles were interesting! I rather enjoyed playing Mastermind (over and over and over and CURSE YOU MR. MAAAAATH), but the main gameplay didn�€™t quite measure up. I almost feel like this game would have been better had battles been dropped entirely and you focused your energy on puzzles alone. 3. Story 8/10 It made sense and the characters were entertaining, but it was lacking a certain something I can�€™t quite put my finger on. 4. Aesthetics 6/10 Good use of the Okami soundtrack! xD The samurai set looked nice, although I felt like fogs were a little overused and got in the way of visibility. I think the doors were a little tall as well. The interface looked alright, but I was a little unsure what the big gauge thing was for in the battle scene! 5. Misc. 7/10 The humour was cute, as per usual. :3 I say work on your punctuation a little, though �€“ you can make stuff funny without A MILLION EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!! It usually makes it more funny, in my opinion. Good effort!
Final Score 56/90
1. Originality 8/10 Pretty innovative! I was definitely digging the cellphone system, and I liked the character abilities a lot. 2. Playability 25/25 No complaints here; it all worked for me. 3. Fun Factor 23/25 It was fun and challenging! I really enjoyed it; the gameplay required me to think, and the usage of the PTB made the battle�€™s pacing 3. Story 10/10 I loved the story and characters here. This was a great example of story�€”gameplay perfectly meshing together. It was logical, the characters had reasons to be doing what they were doing, the story elements tied into gameplay �€“ very nice, overall. 4. Aesthetics 5/10 Some of the sprites weren�€™t aligned properly (Sven would be the most notable here �€“ he totters around when he walks), and the FF6 monsters clashed. The darkness tint was a bit too dark, which made for some difficult navigation. The portraits were absolutely lovely, though, and the sprites matched nicely. The battle interface was also very nice! 5. Misc. 7/10 The rage metre �€“ I liked the idea of it, but I didn�€™t like that I had to fill it up for every battle! I would have rather started with it half full or something �€“ that way, it�€™d run out for bosses or lengthy encounters, but gives immediate access to elemental skills so one can make quick work of familiar enemies.
Final Score 78/90
1. Originality 5/10 The story seems pretty original, but I didn�€™t get far enough into the game to really experience it. 2. Playability 20/25 Everything works; there�€™s some lag on the bigger maps, though. Also, navigation was a little difficult due to some awkward mapping. 3. Fun Factor 5/25 I can�€™t really give this a very good score. While there are a lot of good ideas here, randomly being jumped by orcs if you pass by the wrong door is infuriating, having random timed events chucked at you is irritating�€� basically, I lost patience with this game and couldn�€™t be bothered to continue! This, however, is easily fixed �€“ I say either let the player save anywhere, or get some sort of lives system going �€“ basically, you get a certain amount of tries before you�€™re booted back to the title screen. 3. Story 5/10 It seems to make sense�€�? Again, I really didn�€™t get far enough in to tell. There seemed to be some clearly defined characters as well as some sort of mystery, but I didn�€™t see it come together. 4. Aesthetics 7/10 The music is nice and the sprites look fine. Nice use of lighting and tiles for the hub map, too! 5. Misc. 5/10 Give this one a once over! There�€™s plenty of potential here, but I don�€™t think it was executed very well. This seems like it could be a really cool investigation game, though!
Congratulations, winners! You guys did really good. I'd love to have been able to enter as well, but alas, I underestimated the difficulty of my project. Next year, whether on here or the Ace site, I will Definitely enter something