iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Eventing-] How to create simple tutorial instructions in battle.
Dorian's World
post Nov 24 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Have you seen RPGs with a battle tutorial that shows you how to handle the battle efficiently? At the start of the battle, the screen fades a little and the audio fades a little as well, then instructions pop up. After the instructions, the screen and audio return to normal and the battle begins. This happens in some RPGs, and if you want it in yours, I'll show you how.

Alright, the first thing to do is to set up a battle in Database/Troops of course. An easy battle, as that battle is just a tutorial after all. Next, look at the Battle Event for the troop you want the tutorial in. You'll want the audio and screen to fade just a little bit, but not too much. And you don't want it to happen all at once.

Spoiler:
Attached File  Event.jpg ( 207.99K ) Number of downloads: 202

Yes, I am using Tankentai.

1. First, set the condition to Turn No: 0, and leave the Span at Battle. This makes the instructions appear after "Enemy has appeared!" and they will only appear once.
2. Let's say your battle BGM for this fight is Battle1 and is at 100 volume. Insert in your Battle Event a Play BGM command. Select Battle1, only set the volume at 95, which is 1 notch down.
3. Insert a Tint Screen command. Notice how the Color Tones for Red, Green and Blue are all at 0. Set them one notch to the left so they'll each be at -17. Leave the Grey as is. For the Time option at the bottom, set it to 8 frames. This will make it just under 1/6th of a second for the screen to be a little darker.
4. Repeat step 2, only set the volume for 90. (2 notches down from 100.)
5. Repeat step 3, only set the Color Tones for Red, Green and Blue 2 notches to the left so that they each are set at -34. 8 frames.
6. Repeat step 2, only set the volume for 85. (3 notches down from 100.)
7. Repeat step 3, only set Red, Green and Blue at -51 each. 8 frames.
8. Insert a Show Text command and type out your instructions. The Backround, Position and Batch Entry are optional.

What this does is it makes your screen and audio fade a little for a little less than a second, then your instructions pop up.

Spoiler:
Attached File  Event2.jpg ( 33.61K ) Number of downloads: 247

Cool huh?

Now after the player understands the instructions, he's going to want to start the battle right? You're going to need to return the audio and screen tint to normal. Now that you know how to effectively tint the screen and fade the audio, this should be simpler.

1. You can insert a Wait command and set it to 8 frames, but this is optional.
2. Insert a Play BGM command, select Battle1, and set the volume to 85.
3. Insert a Tint Screen command and set Red, Green, and Blue to -51 each. 8 Frames.
4. Repeat step 2. Volume should be at 90.
5. Repeat step 3. Red, Green and Blue set at -34 each. 8 Frames.
6. Repeat step 2. Volume should be at 95.
7. Repeat step 3. Red, Green and Blue set at -17 each. 8 Frames.
8. Repeat step 2. Volume should be at 100.
9. Repeat step 3. Red, Green and Blue set at 0 each. 8 Frames.

Congratulations! You have successfully created a battle tutorial for new RPG players who are playing your game! This can be very useful if you have a family member who doesn't know how to play a RPG Maker VX style game. This sort of thing looks nicer on custom battle systems, such as Tankentai, but it works with anything. Now have fun making the rest of your game and good luck!

This post has been edited by Dorian's World: Jan 16 2012, 08:02 AM

--------------------
How do variables work again...? -.-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Kyle_Crafty
post Dec 11 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Great tutorial, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much smile.gif

+Quote Post

Dorian's World
post Jan 6 2012, 07:19 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

You're very welcome! Good luck with your game!

Also, small update, if you delete the track that this event needs, the battle won't run. I had this problem for 5 minutes until I realized it was in the Battle Events. laugh.gif

--------------------
How do variables work again...? -.-

+Quote Post

GBLZealot
post Jan 7 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #4

I haz lightsabers
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

This is so much better than what I was doing for a battle tutorial lol. Nice work!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:34 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.