iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [-Transportation-] How to make and operate an Escape Rope item!, (Like the Escape Rope in Pokemon!)
Chaco
post Dec 4 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Writer

TUTORIAL 1
How to make an Escape Talismen/Escape Rope item!
I called it Escape Talismen for my game...anyway.

To make an Escape Rope item follow the next 3 steps!

Step 1: Making the item itself

Make the Escape Rope itself (the item) in the Item Database!

The most important part when creating this item is that the Common Event box is set to a common event! Find an Empty Common Event you want to use in the database and name it after your item. We will set this up in Step 2!

Now, the item should have a Scope of "None" and be NOT consumable so that it doesn't breaks until the common event allows it!
And, also, don't forget to set the occasion of use to "From menu only" so people cannot teleport out of battle XD (Unless you want them too)

Set the price to whatever you deem proper, and speed can be 0.
Dont add stats to it and leave the options all unchecked.
It also doesn't require an element.

Step 2: Making an Escape Rope/Talismen Common Event!
This is how to make your item (which at the moment does NOTHING) a proper item! laugh.gif

Set the Trigger to Autorun then make a switch (call it whatever) for this example the Switch will be called "Escape Rope Switch"

First, set a Message which asks the player if they would like to use the item (in case they click it by accident) followed by a Yes/No option.

If they say "No" just make a switch that turns the "Escape Rope Switch" OFF! (This will cause the event to close)
Since an Escape Talismen is consumable, make

Now for the hard part!

For the "Yes" option create a "Conditional Branch" (Page 1, under Flow Control) and have it as an IF event.
IF Switch "Dungeon Escape Allowed" is ON than continue. If not, the if event will say "This item cannot be used here"
IF the switch is on, then put a teleport event BUT use "Destination with variables"
Then make THREE Variable switches!
MAP ID, X and Y! (These will be used in step 3)

Also put an item event that decreases the amount of Escape Talismen's by -1 so that you loose the item once you use it! (This is why I told you not to make it consumable!)
Because, if you make it consumable then if the person uses it by accident they loose the item! (Which is annoying)

You may add a teleport sound effect too if you'd like!

Part 3: Making sure you teleport to the right place!!

Since your game doesn't know you only want to use these items inside dungeons you need to do some things so it does!!

At the ENTRANCE to ALL the Dungeons or places you want to use these items you need to make an event in the PLACE YOU WANT YOUR HERO TO BE TELEPORTED TO! As well, make sure this location is somewhere that your hero HAS to step on!! Make them invisible event "Below Characters" and make the Trigger "Hero Touch" so that it will trigger once your hero steps on it!

Now, we are going to make 3 new variables AND a switch! BUT these variables and switches have already been made in Step 2!

Make Variable 1 by clicking the bottom checkbox (other) and setting it to "Map ID". Thats it, now this variable represents your MAP ID! (It should be the one you made the MAP ID variable in Step 2)

Make Variable 2 by clicking the "Character" check box then "Map X" and this makes this variable represent the location your character is standing on the X coordinate!

Make Variable 3 by clicking the "Character" check box then "Map Y" and this makes this variable represent the location your character is standing on the Y coordinate!

Now when you use your Escape talismen your character will teleport to the location of this event!

Also, we want to make sure your character doesn't teleport anywhere, but, the dungeon! SO, make a Switch called "Dungeon Escape Allowed ON" and this switch is the switch that allows the Escape Talismen event to work.
Make a second page to the event, make it the same kind of event as the last, and make only a single switch. The "Dungeon Escape" switch and shut this event OFF; and also ,ake sure the second event uses the first event's switch as a trigger.

This way, when you walk out of the dungeon, you will turn the switch off, and thus the Escape Talismen/Rope won't be used anywhere but the dungeon!
Make sure to make the on/off event at EVERY POSSIBLE ENTRANCE to the dungeon! Also if there is an event within the dungeon that causes you to escape it, you need to turn the switch off in those too!!!

And that's it! Now your Escape Rope will work!!! biggrin.gif

Enjoy!

This post has been edited by Chaco: Dec 8 2011, 10:13 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Dec 5 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I like the idea, especially since it resets at every dungeon - but there's no need to set the common event to an autorun. It will already run automatically (once), and I don't see you turning the switch off either after you get teleported, so it's an endless loop.

I'd also suggest not creating two events for the entrance of the dungeon, but only use one. Simply have the first event page set the coordinates, and then create a new event page with the condition Switch Dungeon Escape Allowed ON, and have it turn the switch off if the player steps on it again. Tada, compact eventing.

+Quote Post

Chaco
post Dec 8 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Type: Writer

I like the idea, especially since it resets at every dungeon - but there's no need to set the common event to an autorun. It will already run automatically (once), and I don't see you turning the switch off either after you get teleported, so it's an endless loop.

I'd also suggest not creating two events for the entrance of the dungeon, but only use one. Simply have the first event page set the coordinates, and then create a new event page with the condition Switch Dungeon Escape Allowed ON, and have it turn the switch off if the player steps on it again. Tada, compact eventing.

Awesome, thanks for the help smile.gif
With that, the event is even better laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 01:31 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.