iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How long do you think a boss fight should last?
gettogaara
post Dec 9 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Evil

When I say boss fight I don't mean the final boss just the regular bosses. I like mine to be quick 5-15 minutes at most. Not like in final fantasy 13 where every boss is like half an hour lol. The bosses in my game(I've got three so far) can be defeated within 3-7 minutes but they're fairly hard and you have to strategize to win. How long do you all like your boss fights to last?

--------------------
Gaara: "I finally understand… I'm alone. I won't believe in anyone, or love anyone. I'm alone."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Frousteleous
post Dec 10 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

I like to increase the time it takes to defeat a boss as the game goes on. Like if the first boss is 2-3 minutes, then the fourth boss might be like 15 minutes. not to be stereotypical, but I'll usually have my final boss be a few multiple short battles before the true inal battle.

--------------------
I Support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Alexander Amnell
post Dec 10 2011, 02:46 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

I love a good, long bossfight. So long as there is strategy involved and it doesn't become reduced to forty minutes of spam attack/heal every turn until it dies. Also don't suddenly make the boss get stronger in the final stretch of a long fight making it more likely for the player to randomly die right as he's about to kill the boss, I've always hated that in games, not to mention the fact that it doesn't really make any sense to do so in the first place.

--------------------
The guy who'll try to solve your script request...with an event!

My game project (dev page out, click away!)

Things that are awesome!
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

EvilEagles
post Dec 10 2011, 04:07 AM
Post #4

Viva La Revolución!
Group Icon

I think this thread should go here better wink.gif

On a serious note, I, too, agree with you guys that it depends on how hard the boss is. If it's the very first boss of the game and it's very easy to defeat by raping the 'Attack' command, then the battle should be a short one.

However, if the boss the party's facing is a very tough one and the battle requires high level of strategies, it CAN and SHOULD be longer in my opinion. I enjoy long boss battles that are brainjuice-consuming tongue.gif also, the approaches should be variable too.

+Quote Post

fmstwre
post Dec 10 2011, 04:42 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

For me its always the same. If you want a quick boss make it hard. An example would be a boss that has very low HP but has deadly Attack. Longer battles should not be as hard but take strategy.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ravenith
post Dec 10 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #6

Your friendly neighborhood lunatic.
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

I love long boss fights that are long for a reason. Bosses aren't supposed to be pushovers, but 40 minutes of attack, heal, rinse, repeat is just stupid.
I'm currently developing a combat based dungeon crawler and I try to think out of the box. The boss I'm proudest of is a Chronomancer, or a time wizard, if you prefer.

His health is not very high - 5 turns of full attack from a party of four are enough to down him.
The catch is that he casts a spell called Time Anchor, which stores in a variable his current HP%.
When he dies, if he had cast Time Anchor, he returns again with the HP percentage he had when he cast the spell.
Additionally, he changes his strategy each time reflecting the strategies used by the player.

The trick is to quickly disable him with a stun or silence effect so he can't cast the spell and damage him as much as possible before he recovers.

This battle can go on forever or finished in 5 turns - that's the kind of stuff I like!

--------------------

+Quote Post

gettogaara
post Dec 10 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Evil

I think this thread should go here better

I was thinking about it but I felt like it might be moved over here lol.

I'll usually have my final boss be a few multiple short battles before the
true final battle.

I kinda go for that as well but I'd probably put a chance to rest up and save in between if I put it in my game. I remember how pissed off I got in the final boss of Persona 3 where you're there for like an hour as the boss switches there element and you've gotta just go with it.

His health is not very high - 5 turns of full attack from a party of four are enough to down him.
The catch is that he casts a spell called Time Anchor, which stores in a variable his current HP%.
When he dies, if he had cast Time Anchor, he returns again with the HP percentage he had when he cast the spell.
Additionally, he changes his strategy each time reflecting the strategies used by the player.

The trick is to quickly disable him with a stun or silence effect so he can't cast the spell and damage him as much as possible before he recovers.

This battle can go on forever or finished in 5 turns - that's the kind of stuff I like!

Those are the types of battles I like too. The types that can either be beaten quickly or if they're long have multiple ways of winning. Every boss in FF13 is long as hell and there's only one way of doing it.

--------------------
Gaara: "I finally understand… I'm alone. I won't believe in anyone, or love anyone. I'm alone."

+Quote Post

amerk
post Dec 12 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

I'm not fan of super long boss fights, unless the boss is optional, because then I have a choice as well as a rewarding goal. My personal view:

Normal Battles: 2-3 minutes, tops, which gradually decrease in the time and rounds to defeat as you level up.
Tough Enemies (usually blocking your path, but not really a boss): 2-3 minutes.
Mini-Bosses: 3-5 minutes.
Normal Bosses: 5-10 minutes.
Final Bosses: 15-20 minutes.
Optional Bosses: However long you want, but the longer it takes the better the reward should be.

But even more important than the length should be the strategy.

If the boss is going to be tedious, a quicker battle is probably going to be better. Also remember, a boss should be tailored around how many people are in the party. 1 person boss fights should be easier and quicker, since the player doesn't have the extra support. I've played some games where the player has to heal every round, but he's just a 1-character party, so how the heck can he also attack? If you've got multiple characters in the party, make it a bit harder.

Better yet is to incorporate hidden strategy that the player has to discover. If the player finds a weakness and uses it, the length of the fight may get shaved in half. If the player doesn't find the strategy, or doesn't use it, the fight may take twice as long.

+Quote Post

Weird Al
post Dec 13 2011, 07:23 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

I'm also one who enjoys boss battle being a bit longer, it's length depends on what part of the game I'm at, and it depends on how long the normal battles are at that point, too.

I usually want the boss fights to be about 5 minutes, but the super boss fights being around 15+, provided it's not just mashing "Attack" or something; I like some kind of strategy being involved.

This post has been edited by Weird Al: Dec 13 2011, 07:25 AM

+Quote Post

Virus 9
post Dec 14 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #10

Evil is a virus that spreads!
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I played many video games over my years. There is a reason they got the title "Boss" it shouldn't be a like 1 hit and boom your dead. It should be were your pushing your luck against it. You should have it were if there is more then 1 boss make them from a simple easy to hard since if there all like the same strength or it go from easy to easier then it ruins the game. Make the boss long is my idea.

--------------------
EVIL RULES OVER ALL!
Spoiler:
After a great deal of a vote, I have been chosen to remain evil by the members of the forum! Now prepare for the 2nd stage of my plot!

I Support
Spoiler:

CODE
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/ftklqq.png[/img]

Building
Spoiler:

Read if New or Beginner!
Spoiler:
Are you new to RPG Maker VX or the Forum? I will help you with some simple guides to understanding.
  1. If you are new to the forum then make your introduction known to the community. Also if you are leaving us we would like to hear you there.
  2. If you have experience something wrong with this Community Forum that is not working right you can contact the staff by visiting the Feedback and Support.
  3. People like us are willing to help anyone who is having any problems with RPG Maker VX Program down here in the Support / Help Forum. We do provide some provided answers in here to read.Or you can contact RPG_Lover or Akod for help through PM.
  4. Need some new images/audios for your game? We provide a wide range for your game development needs in our Resource Showcase. We also provide if you can not find what you need a request for something.
  5. If it's scripts you need. We can help you find what functions you want to add to your games in our Complete RGSS2 Scripts! As well we provide a request if you got something else in mind you need.
  6. Got a game developed and ready to show? You can provide any Completed Games or Under Developed Games with us to get a result from the community.
  7. Now you can also relax in our Off-Discussion of RPG Maker VX.

We do have a small support for RPG Maker VX ACE here. I recommend if your starting to use RPG Maker VX to go and fix your Game_Interpreter. Make sure to follow the Community Rules and you will be OK on your way.

+Quote Post

Rekx
post Dec 20 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #11

Fascination with life
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

From my perception, time shouldn't be as important as giving the player that feeling of satisfaction. To show them that they really accomplished something, instead of throwing incredibly strong monsters at the end of each dungeon without a story or meaning behind them.

However, if I had to say... it how far they are in the game would have a large effect on how long the boss would be. From my experience, players don't want to fight for three hours when they're twenty seconds into a game. I'd say... long enough to make the player feel like they accomplished something, and short enough to make them believe that they aren't simply wasting their time. It's very complicated, in retrospect. You can't just slap a difficulty on a boss without considering all of these aspects the way I look at it.

--------------------

Remember that time when you thought about quitting? Remember that time where you were trapped and couldn't get out? Do you remember that time where you were on the brink of the end, where you were so close, and yet you couldn't reach it, no matter how hard you stretched?

Do you remember?

If you do, you must forget. Forget the pain, forget the circumstances, forget the life. Remember only what helped you push through. Remember only what got you out of that stipulation. Remember what allowed you to achieve your goal.

Remember, but forget. Forget, but always remember.

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Dec 22 2011, 01:05 AM
Post #12

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

I prefer to make mine last about 10-20 minutes by giving the boss a crapton of health. You don't necessarily have to strategize to win, but it should kill you fast enough to make you have to play through it at least twice with the default characters.

--------------------
"People with Autism and other brain disorders are the most unfairly treated people in the world."- Dorian's World

Projects

+Quote Post

gurvmlk
post Dec 22 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

I think it depends on the nature of the boss, and their significance to the story. For example, a boss that plays an important role in the plot such as the main villain's right hand man, or a rival of the main character should last longer than typical bosses for that point in the game.

It also depends on the battle system. The more engaging the battle system, the longer I feel the fights should be so they don't feel too short. A fight that lasts 20 minutes can feel like 5 given the right game, and therefore should be longer engagements than in something where the battle system makes everything feel as if it's dragging on. For example, something like Final Fantasy 13 I feel is much more well suited for longer battles than something such as an old-school Dragon Quest game.

The main thing though is to make sure that the battle doesn't drag on for so long that the player is bored by the time it's over. Most games I don't find do this, but a great example of such a problem I feel is Alundra. It had really fun and creative bosses, but they had so much health that long before you finally beat them, you had likely memorized their movements and attacks, and concocted ways of dealing with them to a point that should only be accomplished after multiple attempts at the battle.

+Quote Post

nicolechan63
post Dec 25 2011, 02:37 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Well, I generally make the Bosses in my game around 2x to 3x harder than Normal mobs and it's a 2 Player Party game. I don't like to drag Boss Battles forever by giving Bosses High HP, I keep their HP around 3x more than Mobs their level, Give them Defense boosts and add some unique Skills to Bosses like Bleeds, Stuns, Buffs & Minion Spawns to keep the battle more Challenging and last longer.

So, I normally make my Boss Battles around 10 - 15 Player Turns (3 Mins) to defeat them. I don't mind making the Elite Bosses and Final Bosses longer though, Say like around 30 Player Turns (5 to 7 Mins), It's always fun and keeps the Player tensed and focused to have an interesting Long battle in the near end of the game, Makes it more exciting even smile.gif

This post has been edited by nicolechan63: Dec 25 2011, 02:38 AM

+Quote Post

GoldLeo
post Jan 14 2012, 05:34 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I like my bosses to last 5-10 minutes, but the final boss? Anywhere from 30 to 40.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 07:01 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.