iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Most Underrated/Overrated Games
Avvy
post Dec 22 2011, 03:37 AM
Post #1

Procrastinat-
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Basically what the title says. Here are mine:

Underrated:
Beyond Good & Evil HD - I got it at a discount from $10 to $3 on XBLA.
It was the best $3 I ever spent. The story was so gripping and emotional, the gameplay and puzzles
were so clever, and the music...dear GOD, THE MUSIC. I hope they actually finish the sequel.

Shadow the Hedgehog - It's a really fun game. Many people seem to pan it because it had some much
swearing and violence compared to other Sonic games. And the story was really dark, too.
Still, I had a blast playing it. :3

Luigi's Mansion - Ahh, the memories with this game. I remember actually doing an all-nighter just to beat the game
since it was so short. I felt so badass after beating it. I ended up returning it the next day, though. OTL

Overrated:
Final Fantasy VII - Not much to say about this one. The characters weren't too interesting to me, the story was...meh,
and the gameplay was also 'meh'. I ended up liking FFVIII much better for some reason. I mean, FFVII is a good game,
but best RPG/game ever? I don't think so.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 'Nuff said.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

arajuna
post Dec 22 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #2

Café Alpha is REAL! ...It has to be!
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

I agree 100% with you on beyond good and evil. Though i dont really think its that underrated
It did get very good reviews I just think its widely unknown to many.

anyway

Overrated:

CoD: all of them xD
no fanboys hate on me for saying this, but, zelda. the N64 ones were ok but playing twilight proncess on the wii i just felt dissapointed
again fanboys... super smash bro's, it was just eh, I'd rather play a traditional fighter then a button mashy party one. everyone was all like,
'its not a button masher its just before that think line between button mashing and fun' it really is just mashing though -.-

Underated

Trauma cantre: i think just too few people know the fun of it :3
Disgaea: Many people love it but the latest ones have been getting pretty average reception, but i think they are getting better gamelay wise(the story of 4 was a bit... well... bad)

thats pretty much all i can think of right now.

--------------------
lolwut?

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Dec 22 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #3

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

Underrated
Spore
Nobody seems to know much about the game, and it seems that all of the people who make LPs of it on YouTube get absolutely no views (including me. OTL)
BattleMail Kung Fu
It's so underrated it doesn't exist anymore. D:

Overrated
Any COD game beyond World at War
I'll just go back to playing Day of Defeat: Source now.

Minecraft
I just think it's gotten too popular. I started playing it before it went mainstream, and now that everybody and their Mom is playing this game it's just lost its charm. I liked being one of the few people who actually played multiplayer, but now servers are too crowded and I'm getting tired of not having a place to build.

This post has been edited by BlackMuffin: Jan 24 2012, 11:58 PM

--------------------
"People with Autism and other brain disorders are the most unfairly treated people in the world."- Dorian's World

Projects

+Quote Post

amerk
post Dec 29 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

I agree with Final Fantasy VII being overrated. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled when it first came out, and I still enjoy throwing it in from time to time. I thought the story and characters were fairly well done, and the music was excellent for the time. However, I never got the huge love for it that a lot of fans have. An updated remake may or may not make me think differently, if one were to ever come around.

On the other side, games like Wild Arms seem to be underrated. The very first Wild Arms was a very good role playing game that allowed people to transition well from the SNES to the PS, without trying to make things so complicated. But as it's always hung in the shadows of Final Fantasy, perhaps the developers are waiting for the next decent Final Fantasy game (excluding some of the more recent ones) before they attempt another Wild Arms.

Oh, and Xenogears. Not Xenosaga, which was decent in it's own right, but still different from Xenogears. The Final Fantasy/KH franchise has been drilled too far into the ground, and it'd be nice if Square would pick up on some of it's forgotten classics to give them proper sequels (Xenogears and Chrono Trigger for example).

This post has been edited by amerkevicius: Dec 29 2011, 03:51 PM

+Quote Post

Fannon
post Dec 30 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Daydreamer
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

Underrated:

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter (PS2)

This is one title that has garnered much hate over the years. It changed much that fans of the series enjoyed from previous games. The game had a "time limit" which if reached resulted in a game over. This limit could not be increased in the game. The setting was different as was the combat. I will not lie, I myself was among the haters. I recently gave the game another chance and loved it. It is a truly unique game.

--------------------
Random quote of the day
Spoiler:
You can do anything, but not everything

+Quote Post

Killlastsun
post Jan 16 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Lawful Good

Most Overated: Tie between Halo and Ocarina of Time. Two games that definitely don't deserve the hype.

Most underrated: Also breath of fire V actually, haha. That game is AWSOOMEE! Loved the battle system, story was pretty good too. It's really really hard in my opinion, but I think that's what made it fun =). I don't really like the other breath of fires much.. o.o

+Quote Post

CrayDragon
post Jan 17 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #7

RMVX > Social life
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Evil

Overrated:
  • CoD series, of course. No, don't even try to defend it. It's a pointless endeavor.
  • Halo series
I'll have to think of more later.

Underrated:
  • Heavenly Sword- Really surprised me as to why it wasn't thought of as one of the best. >.>
  • Flow- Great stress reliever.
  • Flower- Ditto. Although a mite more tedious. But Thatgamecompany is really good at this kind of game.
  • Super Monkey Ball Adventure- Don't even say it: I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's quite fun when played right.
  • Jet Grind Radio- Quite difficult, but damn I love its style.
  • Eternal Sonata- Yes, I know. VERY run-of-the-mill typical JRPG. Absolutely shitty execution of cutscenes and quests, dubbing that could be done better by farting into a mic, but...there's just something about it I find intriguing.

You guys probably think I'm crazy now. >.>

--------------------
I order you to click these.

>>deviantART!<<

+Quote Post

Obrusnine
post Jan 17 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #8

Writer and Soon Programmer!
Group Icon

Overrated

COD

Underrated

Valkyria Chronicles

--------------------
I Am the Project Leader (Lead Writer, Lead Designer) of

Please click this userbar and see if you can lend some valuable insight to the project. Or even join if you can help out with the massive amount of mapping that will be required in this game!

I Am the Lead Writer of...

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...
  • The enemy of my enemy is my friend
  • At the end of an infinite road, you will find more road.
  • More to add as I come up with them...

+Quote Post

Revival
post Jan 20 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

Underrated

Legend of Legaia (a true RPG player MUSTTTTTT)

Overrated

Final Fantasy 7 - I liked it, but it's far from being the best in the series, for it's time it was godly, but no more, I'm sick of seeing people beg for a remake, tbh I don't know if I would even play the remake, what's the point? New graphics ? big whoop, already beat it and no the story down to the teeth

Also CrayDragon..... what an avatar, I pretty much just spit my drink on my computer screen laughing when I saw it

--------------------

+Quote Post

Alexander Amnell
post Jan 21 2012, 03:04 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Legend of Legaia (a true RPG player MUSTTTTTT)
I completely agree with this, and Legaia two was also really good/underrated.

Other underrated games

Resident Evil 0: Every other Resident Evil game is pretty well-known and some of them are even overrated but for some reason this game is ignored/hated everywhere for some reason, (probably because of Rebecca) but in my opinion it was one of if not the best Resident Evil game.

Legend of Dragoon: I'm the only person I know that's ever played this game, and I almost never played it because every review I'd seen on it called it crap at the time. Granted the battle system was a little off and there was no customization at all, but this was a game that was truly worth playing from beginning to end on the merit of the story alone...

Eternal Poison: Like all strategy/tactics games on a console...

Overated games...

Call of Duty(mw,mw2,mw3 and black ops): When a company gets to the point that it starts packaging the SAME DAMN GAME 4+ times with no changes except for new multiplayer maps and a couple guns added and a couple old ones omitted it's time to stop spending 60 dollars for a game!

Dragon Age 2: For a story-driven rpg the story was pretty...boring.

--------------------
The guy who'll try to solve your script request...with an event!

My game project (dev page out, click away!)

Things that are awesome!
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Pryde
post Jan 23 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #11

Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

This will probably get me a lot of disagreements, but....

OVERRATED:
Anything post-PS2. I'm one of those rare few that gets violently physically sick with 3D. Something about the rotation or the scaling. I have to be careful with anything Final Fantasy VII and beyond, and fully 3D worlds like Dragon Quest VIII are virtually unplayable. I even have to take Disgaea cautiously. I can't begin to tell you how much that vertigo feeling sucks.

UNDERRATED:
Rhapsody. This quirky little RPG has a lot of charm and some funny-as-hell music. My favorite game nobody's ever heard of.
LUNAR. This got a huge, well-deserved following for a while, but was forgotten again just as quickly.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms. One word: replayability. This strategy/empire builder has seen sequels from the NES to the PS2. R3K11 is possibly my favorite game of all time. Highly recommended to anyone with the rest of thier lives to kill.
Pong. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. Repeat until you bleed from your eyes. It's like Video Game NASCAR.

I have to say I strongly disagree with the malignment that Final Fantasy VII has been getting though. It might look awful by current standards, but it was the milestone of its time. Some of its music tracks remain my favorites, and the story was interesting. It's the first game I'm aware of where your main character leaves your party! I loved being able to customize the hell out of my equipment. It was amusing to kill Sephiroth with one massive combo without ever touching a button. wink.gif

--------------------
OmniMech Bumper Sticker: Some Assembly Required

+Quote Post

Getdizzy
post Jan 24 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

QUOTE (Pryde @ Jan 23 2012, 11:38 AM) *
OVERRATED:
Anything post-PS2. I'm one of those rare few that gets violently physically sick with 3D. Something about the rotation or the scaling. I have to be careful with anything Final Fantasy VII and beyond, and fully 3D worlds like Dragon Quest VIII are virtually unplayable. I even have to take Disgaea cautiously. I can't begin to tell you how much that vertigo feeling sucks.

There is a difference between not liking something/not being able to physically deal with something and it being overrated.

This just sounds like someone saying football sucks because they have no legs.

Hell, I have only one functioning eye, but even I think that stereoscopic 3d has the POTENTIAL to be pretty interesting, even if I'll never see it.

+Quote Post

Kav
post Jan 24 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Pryde @ Jan 23 2012, 11:38 AM) *
OVERRATED:

Navigating real life must be very difficult for you.

--------------------

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Pryde
post Jan 25 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #14

Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation.
Group Icon

Touchfuzzy,
Allow me to elaborate. Everything post-PS2 doesn't interest me in the tiniest bit. Naturally the whole vertigo thing is a huge influence in what I like and don't like, but I can't help feel abandoned by my favorite developers. Koei has left behind thier R3K series that made them what they are today, and I really don't care what label SquareSoft chooses to slap on their MMO--it just ain't Final Fantasy. I've tried some of the new games out there, and seen others played. To me, THEY ALL LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. Where's the support for the old-schoolers? There isn't any. The PS3 has some incredible potential--I just don't feel they care.

Suppose your football hater was a former NFL player who lost his legs in an accident. To avoid paying his multi-million contract, his team fires him instead and trumps up bogus charges of drugs/negligence/whatever. Does that put it in a different light or am I just sounding like a troll?

Kav,
I want you to take your favorite portable game and play it on a spinning merry-go-round. I can navigate just fine as long as I don't do anything blatently stupid.

--------------------
OmniMech Bumper Sticker: Some Assembly Required

+Quote Post

core7887
post Jan 26 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Underrated -
Magna Carta II story is amazingly good, not too many people i know actually played the game or even heard of it.
Chrono Cross
Lunar - Silver Star Story - flying cat thing that turns into a dragon... Awesome! lol

Overrated - pretty much what everyone else already said... COD

+Quote Post

NAT_Designer
post Jan 27 2012, 06:54 AM
Post #16

Do not expect me to be nice.
Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

QUOTE (Pryde @ Jan 25 2012, 01:25 PM) *
Touchfuzzy,
Allow me to elaborate. Everything post-PS2 doesn't interest me in the tiniest bit. Naturally the whole vertigo thing is a huge influence in what I like and don't like, but I can't help feel abandoned by my favorite developers. Koei has left behind thier R3K series that made them what they are today, and I really don't care what label SquareSoft chooses to slap on their MMO--it just ain't Final Fantasy. I've tried some of the new games out there, and seen others played. To me, THEY ALL LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. Where's the support for the old-schoolers? There isn't any. The PS3 has some incredible potential--I just don't feel they care.

Suppose your football hater was a former NFL player who lost his legs in an accident. To avoid paying his multi-million contract, his team fires him instead and trumps up bogus charges of drugs/negligence/whatever. Does that put it in a different light or am I just sounding like a troll?

So, to partially deal with your vertigo and partially to never attempt to evolve video games at all, is everybody supposed to just keep making games that have become out of date to suit those who place nostalgia above anything else? Also, what have the new generations of consoles done to you to alter the comparison in order to assume you have been wronged by them? To say all games today look the exact same is what I'd call at least a slight exaggeration, and its not like games didn't have similarities pre-ps2.

So yeah, onto the topic.

Underrated:

Tomba: Due to lack of adequate advertising, limited supply of copies, and being made by a relatively unknown company, not enough people could try it out, and when you do finally try it, it's really not a bad game at all. It was easily my most-rented game at the time, though there was this one PSX game I can't find anywhere with talking dragons... but enough of that.

Overrated:

Not surprised at all the COD nominations in this category. I seriously doubt that COD is the ONLY series of the modern day that is overrated, but because people keep buying a game they supposedly hate, its likely a matter of people blaming people for going with the 'if it ain't broke' ideal. And with a few examples (FF13, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2), many people tend to dislike when change actually DOES occur, so it's a lose lose deal.

Battlefield: (Note anybody who can't notice, I never said COD WASN'T overrated) The fact that the Frostbite 2 engine can put more fractured static meshes into their game than the average game, implement a crapload of particle effects to hide the game breaking the scenery, and walls falling apart in large chunks, it doesn't mean its realistic, it just means its better on the eyes. The sound design is great, and the idea of working it to make it sound as it would if you were actually there. I find it overrated because of all the hype that both bashes its competitors while preaching all its awesome features. A tactic that reminds me of politicians.

--------------------
Never think of yourself as entitled to know how the world works. Your job is to live in it, and follow it's rules. Nothing more.

+Quote Post

KamaKazeR
post Aug 13 2012, 02:44 AM
Post #17

The Machete King
Group Icon

Type: Musician

All FPS games except Micro Volts on Steam are overrated to me,mainly the CoD franchise. now underrated, my choice is Legend of Dragoon for the ps1. it was one of the most epic video games I ever played.

--------------------
Need some useful utilities to use with your video game, music, or graphics? Here ya go
Having issue's with making Event's? Calling Videos in game? Cutscenes? Various Event's? Visit My Event Tutorials. Their All Video's i Made Myself.
Check out my music KamaKaze
And my brothers music, which I engineer most of myself Drastikk

+Quote Post

lightspeed15
post Aug 13 2012, 03:58 AM
Post #18

Dope
Group Icon

Underrated
Lost Odyssey - God, I loved this game. I haven't beaten it yet but it has the most intriguing story ever. I actually really enjoyed the turn-based combat as well, and how it forced you to interact (with the ring thing).

Blue Dragon - Oddly enough, I enjoyed. Yeah, the game appears kiddy, but it's actually really fun. And the game isn't made for little kids, it's made for people who play any other RPG. Some people get turned off by it's cartoony graphics, which is really a shame.

Final Fantasy XIII - Some people say this game is terrible some say it's great...I don't think it's too bad! Yeah, after a while the battling got annoying for me, but now that I've reached the open plains area, the game has become more fun (still too many enemies along the paths smile.gif).

I might add more as they come to mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Alt_Jack
post Aug 13 2012, 05:06 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

DOAX 1 and 2 - you kinda feel like a perv playing it, but it's still pretty fun. It's nice to see everyone getting along for once.

Chrono Trigger - probably one of the best games ever.

Ogre Battle (the original) - complicated, but still pretty good. You need rather good group management skills, though.

Gauntlet 64 - another super-duper killfest that me and my sister apent hours on

Prototype - I hope that GameStop will give me something more than the finger for bringing it back. What a piece of trash.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Rifall
post Aug 13 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

Here's My contribution

Underrated
Luigi's Mansion
Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
The Legend of Zelda <The Windwaker, II>
Metroid: <Other M, Fusion>
Hydro Thunder
Champions of Norrath

Overrated
Final Fantasy <VII, X, X-2, XIII, and XIII-2>
Call of Duty <ALL OF THEM>
Gears of War
The Elder Scrolls; Skyrim
Super Mario Galaxy <1, 2>
Just about any other first person shooter.
## Exceptions include Portal and Perfect Dark

--------------------

Click to view our official web site.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 08:07 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.