iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Writing a non-linear story, How do other writers go about it?
Obrusnine
post Jan 17 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Writer and Soon Programmer!
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Now, atm I'm working on a game with a non-linear story component.

By that, I mean that the game's story plays out like Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

What I can't figure out is how to write this in Microsoft Word. It just isn't an effective way to organize the writing. I noticed that I definitely need some kind of flow chart, but how would I got about doing that?

Does anyone have any methods or programs that they would use to work on a non-linear story like this? Cause I just can't figure it out.

Suggestions for good programs (don't care if I need to pay for them) for good flow-charting would be nice, thanks, biggrin.gif

--------------------
I Am the Project Leader (Lead Writer, Lead Designer) of

Please click this userbar and see if you can lend some valuable insight to the project. Or even join if you can help out with the massive amount of mapping that will be required in this game!

I Am the Lead Writer of...

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...
  • The enemy of my enemy is my friend
  • At the end of an infinite road, you will find more road.
  • More to add as I come up with them...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Pryde
post Jan 18 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Actually, I use good 'ol Notepad for just about all my record-keeping. The simplest way of keeping track of everything would be to keep seperate Word files for individual aspects. One to outline protagonists & antagonists, and one for each area. Possibly even one for major events for quick reference.

--------------------
OmniMech Bumper Sticker: Some Assembly Required

+Quote Post

Obrusnine
post Jan 18 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

That's a good idea! Thanks!

I just with MS Office came with a good flow-charting program so that I could map what an NPC's response is to player queries...

--------------------

Please click this userbar and see if you can lend some valuable insight to the project. Or even join if you can help out with the massive amount of mapping that will be required in this game!

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...

+Quote Post

Virus 9
post Jan 19 2012, 04:46 AM
Post #4

Evil is a virus that spreads!
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I either write a book and base it off of that or wing it. But everything still needs planned out.

--------------------
EVIL RULES OVER ALL!
Spoiler:
After a great deal of a vote, I have been chosen to remain evil by the members of the forum! Now prepare for the 2nd stage of my plot!

I Support
Spoiler:

CODE
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/ftklqq.png[/img]

Building
Spoiler:

Read if New or Beginner!
Spoiler:
Are you new to RPG Maker VX or the Forum? I will help you with some simple guides to understanding.
  1. If you are new to the forum then make your introduction known to the community. Also if you are leaving us we would like to hear you there.
  2. If you have experience something wrong with this Community Forum that is not working right you can contact the staff by visiting the Feedback and Support.
  3. People like us are willing to help anyone who is having any problems with RPG Maker VX Program down here in the Support / Help Forum. We do provide some provided answers in here to read.Or you can contact RPG_Lover or Akod for help through PM.
  4. Need some new images/audios for your game? We provide a wide range for your game development needs in our Resource Showcase. We also provide if you can not find what you need a request for something.
  5. If it's scripts you need. We can help you find what functions you want to add to your games in our Complete RGSS2 Scripts! As well we provide a request if you got something else in mind you need.
  6. Got a game developed and ready to show? You can provide any Completed Games or Under Developed Games with us to get a result from the community.
  7. Now you can also relax in our Off-Discussion of RPG Maker VX.

We do have a small support for RPG Maker VX ACE here. I recommend if your starting to use RPG Maker VX to go and fix your Game_Interpreter. Make sure to follow the Community Rules and you will be OK on your way.

+Quote Post

Frousteleous
post Jan 19 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

you can actually connect documents together, especially in MSoffice. google how to do it. its kinda like putting a link to a website in an essay, only its a link to another one of your own documents. just keep everything in the same or nearly the same folder so its all together.

example document:

character walks into store. notices a robber in progess. the character can...

-save the clerk by beating up the robber
-run out of the store, waving his arms like a chimp
-demand that the robber let you help run the place down and get 43.6% of the loot.

so, if you highlighted one of the choices, you could turn it into a hyperlink, linking it to the corresponding document.

--------------------
I Support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Obrusnine
post Jan 19 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Yet another great idea, I'll try it out.

--------------------

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...

+Quote Post

Frousteleous
post Jan 19 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

yeah, it's called a hyperlink. like i said, google it. hope that'll work out. i used to do that when i was writing my first book. when my character would mention a new species in his world, id hyperlink that species' name to a document with all its information, then i could come back latter and impliment it into the story then or later.

--------------------
I Support:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

MarxMayhem
post Jan 20 2012, 05:55 AM
Post #8

Walking the Path of Heavens, Ruler of All
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

My tactic is to just write everything down on a piece of paper, and just link the sequencing with a line. When I'm done, I make a tidier flow chart in paper or in Notepad.

--------------------
......And yes. I do take those personality quizzes too. Just check my profile page for my results.

Want a beta-tester? Someone to comment/suggest to your project? Or just another sucker to lure into how awesome your game is? I can fill up that role (minus the sucker part, mind you). PM me and I will drop by your project thread. Who knows? If I'm interested, I'll stick around with my own free will!
======================================

QUOTE (PINEDAVX @ Jul 14 2010, 04:47 AM) *
No. We're evil staff, we all suck. We abuse power all the time, didn't you get the memo?

Quotes:
Spoiler:
"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both. " - Forrest Gump
"My grandmother said this: Fancy flavors cannot hide poor cooking." - Souji Tendou, Kamen Rider Kabuto
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" - Eleanor Roosevelt

+Quote Post

Ookie Panda
post Jan 24 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #9

Infecting RMVX.net with "OwO" since 2009
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Unaligned

I think this is more of a writing topic, so I will send this over to the great people of Literature, Art, and Music
smile.gif

--------------------

This is where Ookie's at. Let's build another community together!

+Quote Post

Fall From Eden
post Jan 25 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Lawful Evil

You could always use Zim Desktop Wiki. Seems to be exactly the kind of thing that you're looking for, and best of all, it's multi-platform and open source. smile.gif

I use it for all kinds of things. It's extremely useful. At the moment, I'm using it for my project (which features a subjective storyline... it's linear, in a way, but the story you experience isn't the literal reality of what's happening, so there are two storylines I have to manage at once). I also use it to keep track of any kind of information I collect for my project, so I have hyperlinks to Wikipedia articles, historical references, programs and resources that I'm using, credits and contributors to the project....

Really, you should try it. It sounds like the kind of thing that you're looking for. Once you get used to Zim, it's insanely handy. The main website is here, and there's a Windows installer here.

Good luck. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:27 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.