iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying to find the right engine for my needs., Help with finding the right game engine
Sean Rob
post Feb 1 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer

I am looking for an engine for a game I would like to create. I have looked into a few different engines and I have not found one that suites my needs for what I am trying to do. My game is going to be a space sci-fi saga that involves going to different planets and traveling different galaxies and solar systems in a RPG bird’s eye view. If you are familiar with the game “Star Flight” then you kind of have an idea of what I am talking about. Along with this I am looking to have random encounters with different aliens while traveling in space. Of course most of these would be battles between the hero’s ship and the opposing space ships that are facing the hero.
I have made a list of different features that I am looking to have for this game. Almost all of these are features that I need for this game. The list of features is as followed below,

• Disembark & embark from/to Mother ship at anytime while flying in space.
• Able to buy new ships and accessories for ships. (I.E. Shields, engines, weapons, and other things)
• Able to buy and upgrade weapons while on foot in game. (I.E. while traveling on planet with main hero, you are able to buy and upgrade weapons)
• 2D side view action fight screen. (I.E. like the old school street fighter style gaming. These will be used for bigger fights for bosses.)
• Bird’s eye view while travel on foot on-planet.
• 2.5D graphics for planet view and rotatable camera. (Mostly rotatable camera for travel thru metropolitan cities with skyscrapers.)
• Changeable clothes for hero that can be changed throughout game.
• Changing weapons and holding them on foot is visible.
• Planets have a rotating orbit around star in solar system view.
• Filter for planets. The color of the filter changes due to the main color of the star in the solar system and the planets atmosphere. (I.E. one planet may have a sepia tone to it while another planet may have a dark red tone.)
• The ability of having day and night.
• Different weather changes. (I.E. Snow, rain, sandstorms.
• Being able to import images from Photoshop to tile the game.
• Cut scene movies made in-game and out of game.
• A leveling system based on hero’s progress with the game and experience gained. (Wanting to form this leveling system like how it was done in Skyrim.)
• Having different power moves which will be non-weapon for on-foot hero. (These will be based off of experienced gained and if the power meter is full enough to perform the specific move.)
• Having different terrains. (I.E. Hills, mountains, and rocks.
• Able to buy/sell objects in game.
• Able to create swords and other objects.
• Having random spawning space ships and opposing soldiers that are area and game progress controlled.
• Vibrant lighting. (Having lighting areas as in a street light at night will only portray light in a certain zone.)
• Ability to land smaller space fighter ship on different places on the planet desired. (Most these places will be predestined places on the planet)
• Ability to cross platform this game for different gaming consoles, just not on computers only.
• Online play. (Can come later with expansions.)
• Being able to have expansions and keep saved game progression that play will have already done.
• Having companion NPC’s to follow hero and help hero during fights.
• Ability through game progress to translate alien languages. (Automatically done when language is learned.)

So these are the different things that I am looking for. Most of all of them are necessary things that would be vital for this game to have. So if anyone has an idea of an engine that will work for this game please let me know. Thank you very much.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

attapi0
post Feb 1 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

RPG maker XP could, in theory, do most of your requests, though you would need a great wealth of scripting knowledge or a great deal of patience if you want to event this.

+Quote Post

fmjpr
post Feb 2 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

This is forum support in this forum, chief. Regardless of which engine you use(and most can accomplish what you ask) you'll need skills.

--------------------
Trailer for It Came From Yesterday: Click Me

This was made by a dear friend of mine. Any support is appreciated! Also, Like the Facebook page while you're at it: It Came From Yesterday

New and improved official site: ICFY

Swagbucks referral link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jbart321

+Quote Post

Sean Rob
post Feb 2 2012, 02:36 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jasonicus Prime @ Feb 1 2012, 04:52 PM) *
This is forum support in this forum, chief. Regardless of which engine you use(and most can accomplish what you ask) you'll need skills.

I understand this is a support forum. That is one the reasons I posted in here. I was told by a friend at Microsoft that I might be able to to use two different game engines for my needs which would make things perfect for me. Does anyone know if the rmxp engine could run split with another?

+Quote Post

fmjpr
post Feb 2 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

No this is a forum support forum. The whole forum. So, things like issues with signatures or posting not engine related or VX related. Read the forum descriptions.

The RPGMaker engines are self contained and not compatible with other makers. This forum as a whole is only VX Support, so unless you have something specific to ask about RPGMakerVX you can always use Google to research. Also, each of the engines have a trial so you can always try them out for 30 days for free.

--------------------
Trailer for It Came From Yesterday: Click Me

This was made by a dear friend of mine. Any support is appreciated! Also, Like the Facebook page while you're at it: It Came From Yesterday

New and improved official site: ICFY

Swagbucks referral link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/jbart321

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Feb 2 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I'm nice enough to respond to all of your features!

Some things to know:
Standard = included in VX by default
Eventing = you'll have to make it yourself with VX
Script = you'll have to find a user-created script that has this feature

Spoiler:
• Disembark & embark from/to Mother ship at anytime while flying in space.
Easy, any beginner can do this.
• Able to buy new ships and accessories for ships. (I.E. Shields, engines, weapons, and other things)
Shops are standard.
• Able to buy and upgrade weapons while on foot in game. (I.E. while traveling on planet with main hero, you are able to buy and upgrade weapons)
Tie a shop to a common event and button input and you're all set.
• 2D side view action fight screen. (I.E. like the old school street fighter style gaming. These will be used for bigger fights for bosses.)
Needs a script. Tankentai has a sideview battle system.
• Bird’s eye view while travel on foot on-planet.
Uhh, VX only has one view, and that is top-down.
• 2.5D graphics for planet view and rotatable camera. (Mostly rotatable camera for travel thru metropolitan cities with skyscrapers.)
GTFO of the RPG Maker VX forums.
• Changeable clothes for hero that can be changed throughout game.
Standard.
• Changing weapons and holding them on foot is visible.
If you have the graphics for showing them holding said weapon, then yes it's very much possible
• Planets have a rotating orbit around star in solar system view.
• Filter for planets. The color of the filter changes due to the main color of the star in the solar system and the planets atmosphere. (I.E. one planet may have a sepia tone to it while another planet may have a dark red tone.)
Screen tints are standard.
• The ability of having day and night.
Clever eventing, or use of scripts.
• Different weather changes. (I.E. Snow, rain, sandstorms.
Standard. Snow and rain that is. Use a script to get more options.
• Being able to import images from Photoshop to tile the game.
Look up 'parallaxing'.
• Cut scene movies made in-game and out of game.
Cutscenes made in-game is standard, very standard. Playing movie files in VX requires a script though.
• A leveling system based on hero’s progress with the game and experience gained. (Wanting to form this leveling system like how it was done in Skyrim.)
Clever eventing.
• Having different power moves which will be non-weapon for on-foot hero. (These will be based off of experienced gained and if the power meter is full enough to perform the specific move.)
Clever eventing.
• Having different terrains. (I.E. Hills, mountains, and rocks.
That depends on the tileset you're using. We have loads of resources though, so I'm sure you'll find what you need. Except futuristic graphics, those are a rare breed.
• Able to buy/sell objects in game.
Standard.
• Able to create swords and other objects.
Crafting systems can be evented, but a script would be better.
• Having random spawning space ships and opposing soldiers that are area and game progress controlled.
For random spawning, you'd need a script to clone the events. Or you can do some clever eventing again.
• Vibrant lighting. (Having lighting areas as in a street light at night will only portray light in a certain zone.)
Light SFX script, look it up. Or use parallax mapping.
• Ability to land smaller space fighter ship on different places on the planet desired. (Most these places will be predestined places on the planet)
You make it sound so complicated, when it's just the case of 'move sprite on this map'.
• Ability to cross platform this game for different gaming consoles, just not on computers only.
Not possible with VX.
• Online play. (Can come later with expansions.)
Requires a script.
• Being able to have expansions and keep saved game progression that play will have already done.
Requires a script for patches.
• Having companion NPC’s to follow hero and help hero during fights.
Parties are standard, them following you on the map is not, and requires a script. The caterpillar script or something.
• Ability through game progress to translate alien languages. (Automatically done when language is learned.)
Uhh, you could do clever eventing, but you'll have to do it all manually, as a script would do about the same.

So, short answer: VX ain't for you. Or any RPG Maker engine for that matter.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:33 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.