iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Omega Lunar Map Editor, VX Map Editor
Omegas7
post Feb 18 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #1

stai sprecando il tuo tempo
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Hello everyone. One year ago, I had this little idea floating around, but never had the chance to develop it too much until recently. Codenamed Lunar Crystal, this Windows application is a map editor. Head to the F.A.Q below to understand why was this created - for now, let us focus on what this is.

You can make excellent maps with this, but do note, this is not for newbies. If you are interested in creating detailed maps with some advanced features and utilities, this application may interest you. It DOES consume more time than normal, but this isn't about time. This is about quality mapping. These are rather early stages of development, and there is so much more we can add/improve. Your comments are welcome. Read the F.A.Q.

• Unlimited tilesets
    • Each tileset follows VX's format: 512x512
  • Unlimited layers
    • Make organized, detailed maps with all layers you want.
  • Pixel-precision object placement
    • Choose the graphic you wish, and put it anywhere on the map. You are not limited by any grid at all - just like parallax mapping.
  • Pixel-precision collision editor
    • Given you can put anything anywhere, the player will also be able to move anywhere (pixel-precise), so now you can quickly tell the passable areas right in the editor! (see guidemap for more explanation).
  • Animated objects
    • Animate your own objects with any size and frames and speed you wish.
  • Real-time preview of animated objects
    • While creating your map, see your animated objects already with life right in the application!
  • Fill floor with tiles
    • Need to make some ground quickly? Just choose your tile(s), click a button, and instantly fill the layer with it!
  • Chain placement
    • You may create perfectly aligned rows/columns of a certain object with this powerful feature!
  • Export to raw data, interpret in many ways
    • Lunar can export to simple, text info. VX, Ace, and even other game engines can read the data and compress it in their own way. (VX will have a script to convert to secure data, for instance).
  • Run-time map generation during gameplay
    • Lunar doesn't create a huge image for you to use in parallax mapping - instead, Lunar's data is used to build the map during the game - saving valuable disk space!
  • Quickly save/load Lunar files.
  • Nearly infinite undo/redo.
  • Quickly edit lighting spots within Lunar to produce lighting in your game.
    • Existing lighting scripts can be used along with such spots.
    • Preview screen tint color right in Lunar.
  • So much more, and suggestions always welcome!

A simple and quick overview. It lacks some information, but it is good to get a basic idea of Lunar.
Spoiler:

Some people I'd like to thank due to their support in some way toward this project (whether they knew about it or not):
Catcat helped me arrange some of Celianna's wall tilesets for usage with Lunar.
Celianna gave me permission to use her tiles for Lunar testing and distribution.
XIie and Zadorain are into beta testing sometime soon.
Buju made some animated water tiles (actually, he made them in exchange for that Barter script thing...). Unfortunately, I will not be using them. However, he did made an 8-directional Aluxes character too which I might actually use.

Lunar is a new project under early development stages. There are many ways you can help us:
  • Post, comment, give feedback, etc. Be active with us, let us know your ideas, and let other people know about Lunar.
  • Are you an artist? Have you ever made tiles? Post or PM me along with the graphics giving me permission to distribute them along with Lunar - so Lunar can start off with a large graphic base immediately! We can also keep using your talents, so just let us know.

Will it support VX and Ace?
We're focusing on VX. If things go right, Ace support should be available soon as well.
When will this be ready?
I have other projects, some similar to this, and also school. It is not possible to state an accurate release date - and I don't dare to make a guess.
So will this support pixel-movement?
It should give the option to both use pixel-movement mode (with a separate script) or tiled mode (VX default). If you choose to use pixel-movement for player/events, you'll have to set collision properties with Lunar.
What will Lunar actually "produce"? A large image? Data?
When you are comfortable with your map, Lunar can export to a generic, plain text file. From that point, you can use a script made for VX that will convert such text data into actual rvdata, which will be used for generating the maps in your game. Lunar produces no images - saving nice disk space.
How will I edit events?
I haven't touched that area much. There are many proposals: perhaps Lunar can also export a big image version of the map so you can use as a reference when placing events in the game. Or maybe Lunar will setup "spots" that can be associated with your events, so it is just a matter of positioning the spots in Lunar, and editing the event's content on VX.
Is this better than parallax mapping?
It has some advantages. Aside from saving disk space, it can also set collision rectangles for pixel movement rather easily. If planned properly, it may be optimized enough to run smoothly. It is quite a matter of what you actually need for your game. This is debatable, but this is not the place for such.
Is Lunar free for commercial usage?
Yes, just remember to credit me through [Omegas7, J.V Wong, or www.omega-dev.net/forums]
However, the graphics you used to create the maps have their own usage terms and you will have to contact their respective artists about them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Feb 18 2012, 06:04 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

18/02/12 - Introduced Lunar to community
20/02/12 - Improved object select/copy/paste/moving features for multiple objects at the same time
27/02/12 - Preview screen tint color
29/02/12 - .PNG export feature

Currently: Particle system extension.

+Quote Post

Faris
post Feb 18 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: True Neutral

Wow! What is this! Brand Cool!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Can you read this?
Spoiler:
teher neno in tsih wlord taht cna raed tihs txet wthi balnk mndi.
yuo spitud yuo lyza adn mchu mroe. if yuo cna rdea tihs,plaese nto to tyr tihs.

If You Want To Know About Me

I Support
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

catcat
post Feb 18 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #4

a human cat hybrid
Group Icon

Type: Artist

So this is what you were talking about!

Haha, didn't think I still existed eh?

You should get this done soon as this is FREAKIN AMAZING!!!!! A catcat as myself would appreciate this program highly.

--------------------
I proudly support:

+Quote Post

The JJ
post Feb 18 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #5

TGOD
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Can't wait to see the final result happy.gif

--------------------

If anyone can sprite, draw RTP portraits and make HUD's then I will pay if someone would help me with some editing, Name the price and just PM me.

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Feb 18 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (catcat @ Feb 18 2012, 01:56 PM) *
So this is what you were talking about!

So I thank you again for the wall tiles. If you're still willing to help with a similar request in a future, I'd be glad to ask you again.

+Quote Post

ShadowXzygon
post Feb 18 2012, 09:32 PM
Post #7

The Interloper
Group Icon

Damn. Pushed out of beta-testing because too lazy to get WL address.

Anyways, awesome to see this go public. Can't waiittt.

--------------------

"You die a lot. That's not healthy."

Real life contains glitches, what the %&$@?

+Quote Post

Kaimi
post Feb 19 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #8

RPGMakerVX.net's official Seranille lover
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

I think FenixFyreX (probably misspelt it) or someone else attempted to do something like that but ultimately dropped the project. Let's just hope that you'll release a stable version. Yet, that person (or someone else) made a script which slightly reminds of what he was aiming for. Either way, good luck!

--------------------

Thanks to Kaviator for the signature

My resources
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Feb 19 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kaimi @ Feb 19 2012, 04:24 AM) *
I think FenixFyreX (probably misspelt it) or someone else attempted to do something like that but ultimately dropped the project.

I remember. One year ago I wanted to do this, didn't have much time, and then heard Fenix wanted to make something kinda similar, so I decided to just not work on Lunar (what's the point). But well, Fenix decided to halt his project, I am resuming mine.

+Quote Post

Faalhaasje
post Feb 19 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #10

Dutchman
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

This is great omegas... I remember FenixFyrex doing something like this.. but that one hasn't been finished. I like this alot. looking forward till full release!

~Faal

--------------------
Y can't we event our own lives ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

+Quote Post

Zadorain
post Feb 19 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #11

We do what we must because we can.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Fenix and Omegas actually had this idea about simultaneously, Omegas just didn't go public with it until now.

Can't wait to test biggrin.gif

--------------------
Some funny forum quotes:

Spoiler:
QUOTE (AyceM @ Mar 29 2011, 09:38 PM) *
Oh, Jesus, the very awesome on my face right now...

You won't even believe.

QUOTE (Shiro @ Apr 30 2011, 09:24 AM) *
use the shit button technique to do it properly

QUOTE (invasive @ Apr 29 2011, 03:16 PM) *
also mountains.

QUOTE (God Dark punk @ Apr 11 2011, 03:14 PM) *
this tileset is for rpg maker 2003 ? is stupid

QUOTE (Super Stick Lyonn @ Apr 30 2011, 09:51 PM) *
games within the genre almost never fail to give a spicy boner.

He was talking about his sprite. Get your mind out of the gutter.

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Feb 19 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

I find it necessary to make very clear that both projects, mine and Fenix's, are rather different. Lunar is 100% focused on mapping and visual enhancement. Fenix improves mapping, and also improves eventing. So do keep in mind: Lunar doesn't improve eventing.

+Quote Post

cadrius
post Feb 19 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #13

Dead Studios
Group Icon

Type: Spriter

one word for this :

AWESOME !!!!!!!

--------------------

the game core will accept 1 or 2 good game to put in the game core for free !

(Good Game Only)

Require:(Requirement Edited)
A Released Version(if no release have 1week to release a demo)
Need A Thread In Developement Project Or Complet Project
A Logo
Not A Verry Big Story
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
if u want steal cookie add it in your signature =D
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=52640&pid=497857&st=0&#entry497857"][img]http://i.imgur.com/J818o.png[/img][/url]

Spoiler:
Current Project
Spoiler:

I Support !
Spoiler:

V-Game For Noob-V
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Celianna
post Feb 20 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Type: Artist

Oh, this is getting me excited! You've been working on this for what, a year now? Glad to see you continuing to work on it.

Though I'm still really curious how you're gonna do that collision/overlapping thing :3

I second exporting the map as a PNG file, so that users can import it into VX as a parallax image to set up their events, and simply delete the image afterwards.

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Feb 20 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Celianna @ Feb 19 2012, 08:33 PM) *
Oh, this is getting me excited! You've been working on this for what, a year now? Glad to see you continuing to work on it.

It was a year full of school ;D

Though I'm still really curious how you're gonna do that collision/overlapping thing :3

What exactly? You mean this one http://imageshack.us/m/830/5236/fail1g.png? Well, I realized all the user had to do was cut the tree into bottom and top part (one for a layer below the player and another above him), and just make a proper collision rect to avoid the problem.

I second exporting the map as a PNG file, so that users can import it into VX as a parallax image to set up their events, and simply delete the image afterwards.

Sounds good to me.

Lunar's object copy/pasting/moving feature has been improved. You can select, move, copy and paste multiple objects at the same time in a layer more efficiently than before.

A new feature idea has been submitted by user "apple" from VXAce.net. Basically, you can preview a "tint" on the screen with Lunar. Will be implementing this next.

+Quote Post

Luchino-chan
post Feb 20 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #16

Mistress of none.
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

Wow, I've been looking for something like this for a looong time. Hopefully, I can push my mapping to the next level with this. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Developer and author of:

Dev blog:

I support:
Spoiler:

My tutorials: Bringing you quality tutorials, from me to you.
- Create a gorgeous valley with Mack tiles, Luchi-style.
- An advanced tutorial showing how you can add features such as an in-game gallery, a character biography or even an in-game tutorial!

+Quote Post

FenixFyreX
post Feb 24 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #17

I'm on fire 24/7 >:3
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

This is amazing, Omegas. I am definitely looking forward to seeing this when it comes out. Yes, I halted mine. I just haven't had the time to mess with it since..but I may have to to keep up hahaha

Kudos to you for finding some biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Feb 28 2012, 04:58 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

It is now possible to preview a screen tint color. This feature is purely for previewing - the finished map will not come tinted. You will have to tint the map through events (as usual). Any color and intensity can be modified - but saturation requires more work (not matching VX's tinting feature very well).

Current task:
Now that we got tint preview (requires more accuracy/polish), we'll implement .PNG exporting.

+Quote Post

rgangsta
post Feb 28 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #19

The Handyman
Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Evil

This is bad ass. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

mitsarugi
post Feb 28 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #20

Mitsarugi
Group Icon

Wow i sure hope this stays for VX and doesn't go over to Ace only , wish i could make cool stuff like you <.<

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 12:02 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.