iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steampunk vs. Cyberpunk
CallMeMisterP
post Mar 1 2012, 02:47 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer

This is an issue I've had a lot while creating a story for my game, the main setting.

I've always been a die-hard Steampunk fanboy until recently when some arguments for the Cyberpunk genre really sparked up a flame in me.

So what are everybody's thoughts on Steampunk vs. Cyberpunk?

Each have their pros and cons but I'd like the community word.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Retired-Pine
post Mar 1 2012, 03:49 AM
Post #2

Not a democracy
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

As you said yourself, they're not comparable in function of what they have to offer. I prefer to always look at the design as a whole and then evaluate if the type of "punk" chosen really did any good at all to the overall appeal.

That point aside, I've been more of the steampunk side, but lately cyberpunk has caught on my attention too.

--------------------

Spoiler:

Awards
Spoiler:

Games I support [under construction]
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Mar 1 2012, 03:57 AM
Post #3

Hello, my sweet lil' honey bee.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

That's a hard one as I love both genres equally. But if my life depended on it, steampunk because of its art design. But if you're planning on making a project on either genre, you would easily catch my interest.

This post has been edited by Confederacy: Mar 1 2012, 03:57 AM

--------------------

Games (they have links! Click them!): Coming soon with *truly* remarkable games!
Oh oh oh, can I contribute to this conversation!?
I have an opinion about a game.

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

CallMeMisterP
post Mar 1 2012, 04:30 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I've been working on a Steampunk-oriented game.

I was hoping to convert it to cyberpunk but there's a lack of futuristic/cyberpunk resources.

Oh well, I still love Steampunk biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

amerk
post Mar 1 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

Or create a hybrid adventure game combining both steam and cyber. But as for finding good material, you could try Seroken's tiles found in the Gallery.

+Quote Post

ave369
post Mar 9 2012, 08:15 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

Some musings on the hybrid version. I've got a long-undeveloped worldbuilding project that will hopefully someday become an RPG. It's basically Dieselpunk vs Cyberpunk. The world is divided in two halves, two global systems, Cold War style. One is classical cyberpunk, with Evil Megacorps running the show. The other is a 1950s dream of the future, with primitive vacuum tube computers but futuristic engineering and natural sciences, space rockets, lots of steel, chrome and, uh, diesels, essentially a brighter version of the prewar world from Fallout. None of the sides is clear-cut Good Guy or Bad Guy, the cyberpunk corporate empire is corrupt and rotten but the dieselpunk empire is heavily authoritarian, safe but not free, and too aggressive and militaristic. It's also possible to include steampunk into the mix, by making the steampunk region neutral and underdeveloped but the most "good guy" faction, bullied by both bigger empires.

In my project, the cyberpunk empire is culturally based off a mix of America and Japan, and the dieselpunk empire is based off a mix of USSR and Imperial Germany. The steampunk faction, I dunno... some European country?

This post has been edited by ave369: Mar 9 2012, 08:22 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:25 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.