iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is VX worthless now?
Amy Pond
post Mar 20 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #21

Amy
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Unaligned

XP was better than VX
VX ace is better than VX.

VX has always been worthless in my opinion. I don't know why people used it. But that's totally just me.

I'm sticking with XP until my degree is over and then probably switching to VX Ace.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Necromus
post Mar 20 2012, 11:32 AM
Post #22

is it morning already ._.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

QUOTE (Amy Pond @ Mar 20 2012, 12:46 PM) *
XP was better than VX
VX ace is better than VX.

VX has always been worthless in my opinion. I don't know why people used it. But that's totally just me.

I'm sticking with XP until my degree is over and then probably switching to VX Ace.

When XP came out it was completely hideous to me. Existing stuff for 2K and 2K3 was beautiful in style and there were tons of ressources around.
XP graphics looked aweful imo, so after quite some time comming back to RPG maker in general VX was a huge step over XP for me but i guess that's just a mater of taste ofc.
Now, where i'm actually able to pretty much script what i want and taking a look at XP, it just looks even worse lol
Ace pretty much combines everything atm, really good script layout, a lot of quality of life features like directional passing (+ for XP here, since for whatever reason VX doesn't have that) and unlimited tilesets.
There are also a ton of existing scripts for VX which can more or less easily be ported into Ace, so yeah, no real reason to not use Ace imo (atleast over VX).
Ofc it sucks if u would have to start over, but since the graphics format is the same for Ace and VX u can just use everything again, maps can be (even if it is quite the task if u have a big project) completely ported over to Ace from VX, you just need to keep them in the same order, so your transfer events don't mess up.
If you're really in the middle of a big project, use scripts a lot and don't want to handle the limitations of VX, then by all means, use Ace and take on the effort to comvert your project, Ace is awesome.

This post has been edited by Necromus: Mar 20 2012, 11:32 AM

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Mar 20 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #23

Retired
Group Icon

I can't see paying $100 atm, but I'm sure Ace will bring features previosuly only avaiable by scripts to users who do not want to have to bother with them. Directional passibility is naice, also!

But VX is still a bargain, a great place to learn, and full of its own resources.

To each his own!

--------------------

+Quote Post

amerk
post Mar 20 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Type: Writer

If you're just starting out, give both XP and Ace a 30 day trial. You'll probably want to skip over VX, but if you're curious, give that one a try to.

For everybody else, sure VX can do what Ace can, assuming you have all appropriate software and scripts and 3rd party applications. Ace is really about convenience. If $100 is worth having everything wrapped up into one nice package, then go for it. If not, then stay with VX.

I went for the pre-order on Ace and that was definitely a bargain ($15 discount plus bonus content), but even then I probably would have spent the $90 for its convenience.

+Quote Post

Revival
post Mar 21 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Lawful Evil

A key part in VX current value as opposed to VXAce is the amount of years people have been creating scripts/resources for it... Ace is fairly new, so complex scripts and endless resources have yet to be created, therefore even as a polished VX, it's still lacking... I intend to finish my game on VX... and IF I feel like making a sequel or another game, I'll give Ace a shot, because hopefully by then it's worth having and using...

I tried ace for a bit and I couldn't really get into it, maybe the future will be different. I also tried XP and abhor that thing to hell... my friend is hooked on it still, I just can't. VX is the way to go for some, XP for others, and ACE for others, only you can decide which is right for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Necromus
post Mar 21 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #26

is it morning already ._.
Group Icon

QUOTE (Revival @ Mar 21 2012, 10:31 AM) *
A key part in VX current value as opposed to VXAce is the amount of years people have been creating scripts/resources for it... Ace is fairly new, so complex scripts and endless resources have yet to be created, therefore even as a polished VX, it's still lacking... I intend to finish my game on VX... and IF I feel like making a sequel or another game, I'll give Ace a shot, because hopefully by then it's worth having and using...

I tried ace for a bit and I couldn't really get into it, maybe the future will be different. I also tried XP and abhor that thing to hell... my friend is hooked on it still, I just can't. VX is the way to go for some, XP for others, and ACE for others, only you can decide which is right for you.

That is not really true tho, pretty much everything u want script wise has already been translated, is in process of beeing done so or there is just a different script for the same purpose available.
Ressources are also exactly the same as for VX, so nothing changes there.

+Quote Post

Revival
post Mar 21 2012, 05:44 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Lawful Evil

QUOTE (Necromus @ Mar 21 2012, 11:01 AM) *
That is not really true tho, pretty much everything u want script wise has already been translated, is in process of beeing done so or there is just a different script for the same purpose available.
Ressources are also exactly the same as for VX, so nothing changes there.

I guess for resources yes, they are the same, so they work both ways, completely didn't consider that when I made my post. However, they don't have all the great scripts yet, I looked for a few key ones to my game and found nothing, which I expected.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 08:06 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.