iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opinions on a "Vanilla" RPGMakerVX Game
FlameArath
post Mar 8 2012, 05:16 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Hello!

Wondering about peoples opinion on how well a "Vanilla' Game can be, meaning, no Scripts involved, using the basic Tile-sets.

Do you feel a game with this restrictions can come out as engaging or interesting?
Do you feel Certain Scripts Make or break the game for you?
Do you feel there are Certain Scripts that Every game should seriously consider?

Basically, Wondering about everyones opinions on the subject. Would you play a "vanilla" Vx Game that had no scripts? Why? or Why not? Is it more about the story than the Playability "VX" offers without scripts?

Just figured I'd give the community something nice to think about, Or discuss. I'm curious myself. Personally, I'm making a Vanilla game, I feel very limited, But if the story and Events are enough to pull you in, I feel it can break that failing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

MISTER BIG T
post Mar 8 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #2

King of Sadism
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

You still need scripts to make the game. If you have no scripts, you get an error and nothing starts.

Seriousness aside, it's all about execution and you can surely make a game without any bells or whistles, many things can be done using events too. Don't see why you'd have to limit yourself to just basic tilesets and graphics though.

--------------------

Clenched emotions
'Round my ween
Feel my heart beat
Off and your head in

I feel strongly about violence

Love is a fist

Guy: Who's the big girl?
Me: That's not girl! That's me!

Avatar edited by Master of None, colored by me

+Quote Post

FlameArath
post Mar 8 2012, 06:33 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (MISTER BIG T @ Mar 8 2012, 06:54 AM) *
You still need scripts to make the game. If you have no scripts, you get an error and nothing starts.

Fair Enough tongue.gif

Seriousness aside, it's all about execution and you can surely make a game without any bells or whistles, many things can be done using events too. Don't see why you'd have to limit yourself to just basic tilesets and graphics though.

Its not so much about not doing it, Its more about, If the builder as is could create a game you think You'd enjoy playing. I'm personally having fun exploring the extent of what I can do with basic Events.

+Quote Post

MISTER BIG T
post Mar 8 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #4

King of Sadism
Group Icon

Type: Coder

Honestly, just eventing a game is not all that impressive. You can do very much without scripts. In fact, I made a game without using a single variable or switch, before I knew what they did and when there was no helpfile anywhere. Making events move into the walls and become transparent was the way to get rid of them. If you want to truly test yourself, see how much you can do without using switches or variables. You'll be surprised at how much you can actually do.

--------------------

Clenched emotions
'Round my ween
Feel my heart beat
Off and your head in

I feel strongly about violence

Love is a fist

Guy: Who's the big girl?
Me: That's not girl! That's me!

Avatar edited by Master of None, colored by me

+Quote Post

amerk
post Mar 8 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

You don't need to have glamor and effects. When I play a game, that's the least of my concerns. What I do look at is whether you are using your resources (either default or imported or a mixture of both) well.

The game cannot have constant errors and crashes or game breaking bugs. The battle needs to be enjoyable and balanced. The story, whether epic or not, needs to be well written without horrible misspellings and grammar mistakes. And the mapping can be simple but cannot be open and empty and boring. And the beginning party should not be the default characters (ie., Ralph and company).

There are plenty of decent games that focus more on the RTP without a lot of add-ons, but generally most of these will add on something. At the very least, you should consider altering the music. I use some RTP BGM's in my own projects if they fit the mood I need, but usually look elsewhere, considering there are tons of freeware available. Not only does it keep your game sounding like hundreds of others, but in VX's case, most of the default's music is horrible on the ears.

+Quote Post

FlameArath
post Mar 8 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (MISTER BIG T @ Mar 8 2012, 08:28 AM) *
Honestly, just eventing a game is not all that impressive. You can do very much without scripts. In fact, I made a game without using a single variable or switch, before I knew what they did and when there was no helpfile anywhere. Making events move into the walls and become transparent was the way to get rid of them. If you want to truly test yourself, see how much you can do without using switches or variables. You'll be surprised at how much you can actually do.

Mmmm, I think we're having a different meaning of Script. I think i should clarify.

"Downloaded Additions", Like Yanfly. Not what comes with the game. Sorry sad.gif

Switches took me a while to learn but I've made use of them too, It really helps to create a "Combat" like cutscene, Or give characters Movement and what not.

I use some RTP BGM's in my own projects if they fit the mood I need, but usually look elsewhere, considering there are tons of freeware available. Not only does it keep your game sounding like hundreds of others, but in VX's case, most of the default's music is horrible on the ears.

I agree on that. Have any suggestions? Do you create your own Music?

This post has been edited by FlameArath: Mar 8 2012, 10:49 PM

+Quote Post

amerk
post Mar 9 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

Nope, I don't have the luxory or the know how. However, just check out the different communities and sites. Here alone, in the resource segment, Cloud_525 and Joe Rao have some awesome stuff.

Then there's:

Atelier Nonta: ateliernonta.com
Sakari Infinity: sakari-infinity.net
Short Story: slyph.org

I'm not sure what the useage is like. More often they just want credit in the works with a link back to the sites, but if you're planning something commercial, you may have to seek specific permission.

+Quote Post

Neon Black
post Mar 11 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Type: Designer

No scripts? RM2K. 'Nuff said.

As for graphics, I have always been fond of default tilesets for nostalgia reasons, and I can never really find any good battle animations (not that I'm that great with animations anyway). Still, as mentioned it doesn't matter what the graphics look like so much as how they're used. Simple looking games can be just as professional looking as games with custom graphics if they're used right.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:07 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.