iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mass Effect 3 Ending Discussion (SPOILERS!), A little discussion among those who have completed the game.
Obrusnine
post Mar 11 2012, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Writer and Soon Programmer!
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Neutral Good

Let me say one thing, Mass Effect 3's ending sucks because the following.

-It doesn't wrap up anything
-It doesn't make any sense
-Its depressing as all hell

Now that we have all of that wrapped up, let me explain why I feel that way.

It doesn't wrap up anything: It leaves a lot of up to imagination. You have no idea what happens to your crew when they crash on the planet, you have no idea how people react to their contact being severed from the rest of the galaxy, and a lot of aliens have no way home. That's not all, there's a lot of minor plot-lines it leaves to imagination as well. Such as the thing about Aria and Omega. This was supposed to be the last game of a trilogy, but it sure doesn't feel like an ending. I am not satisfied at all with it, I don't feel the finality I am supposed to feel either. It never even really explains the Reapers and what their doing there, leaving you to fill in the blanks.

It doesn't make any sense: This should be pretty self-explanatory to people who have played it. But there are quite a few, like what was Joker doing in a mass relay jump at the end? Shouldn't he have been waiting above Earth? Why does the Catalyst take the form of a kid you spotted in the beginning of the game? I would think the Catalyst would be much older then that. Also, in the one ending where Shepard survives, he shouldn't have, even if he could survive a giant fall from the Citadel (AFTER a giant explosion!), and survive re-entry, that ending has him destroying his own synthetic implants... which he needs to live!

It's depressing as hell: Even in the "best" ending, everybody still gets screwed. The mass relay's being destroyed? Oh, great way to destroy the galactic infrastructure! Shepard dead? Oh, why not! Normandy crew stranded? Sure!

That's the least I can say about this terrible ending.

It hurts me even more, because they did everything else about the game right. But the second you fall onto the floating platform, the entire game goes to hell. I would've been more satisfied if it had just ended there. Seriously, the game could be improved by cutting large chunks of the ending out! Give me a god damn break! Especially with the excellent music, gameplay, and other story... it makes me so mad that they would DARE end it like this. I don't have any closure.

Also, before anyone starts saying it's "Realistic".

FUCK THAT, this games ending doesn't make any sense... so how is it realistic? Not to mention who said we WANTED a realistic ending? I wanted an ending that provided closure, I wanted a happy ending, but even when you try your hardest, your ending is still SHIT!

So what did you all think?

--------------------
I Am the Project Leader (Lead Writer, Lead Designer) of

Please click this userbar and see if you can lend some valuable insight to the project. Or even join if you can help out with the massive amount of mapping that will be required in this game!

I Am the Lead Writer of...

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...
  • The enemy of my enemy is my friend
  • At the end of an infinite road, you will find more road.
  • More to add as I come up with them...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Mr.M
post Mar 12 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: True Neutral

I've been raging about this too. The ending boiled down to your favorite color of either Green,Blue or Orange.

But Shepard does live if you get a fill readiness bar and chose the blow the reapers and synthetics up option. There's a short clip of him taking a breath in the ruins somewhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Obrusnine
post Mar 12 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Mr.M @ Mar 12 2012, 06:17 PM) *
I've been raging about this too. The ending boiled down to your favorite color of either Green,Blue or Orange.

But Shepard does live if you get a fill readiness bar and chose the blow the reapers and synthetics up option. There's a short clip of him taking a breath in the ruins somewhere.

Yes, but since that ending destroys all synthetics and advanced technology, that includes Shepard, so technically it's impossible for him to have survived... because he relies on his synthetic implants to survive.

--------------------

Please click this userbar and see if you can lend some valuable insight to the project. Or even join if you can help out with the massive amount of mapping that will be required in this game!

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...

+Quote Post

Vaizer
post Mar 13 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I agree and disagree. I think Bioware has loomed to the dark-side of EA and will do DLC branches to give the closure you need. It's a really depressing and heartless marketing tactic. Give a guy a drug until he's addicted then promise him a cure but never remember to bring it.

It's unofficially confirmed Aria and Omega will be a DLC

.. and if you really want you can check the Bioware Forums to give voice along with 35,000 other people who is polling for an alternate ending.

-V

--------------------

---------------------------------------------------
"I was a writer but then I took an arrow to the knee"

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Mar 13 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Hello, my sweet lil' honey bee.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Some people inadvertently spoiled a part of the ending on accident to me and after confirming my suspicions, I stopped playing the game and gave it back to my friend.

I think I'm done with BioWare now. If Dragon Age 2 wasn't the nail in the coffin for me, then Mass Effect 3 is.

--------------------

Games (they have links! Click them!): Coming soon with *truly* remarkable games!
Oh oh oh, can I contribute to this conversation!?
I have an opinion about a game.

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

Obrusnine
post Mar 14 2012, 02:21 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

You know I really need to go back and check out DA2's ending again, because I honestly don't remember it being that bad.

Then again, DA2 was kind of a love/hate relationship from the beginning. Still great story, MUCH better gameplay, but game was short and the story was lacking in comparison to DA1. Hopefully DA3 will be actually what they're saying it will!

Also, completely different teams develop each game so there is still hope!

SWTOR was awesome after all.

--------------------

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Mar 14 2012, 02:26 AM
Post #7

Hello, my sweet lil' honey bee.
Group Icon

DA2's ending was the least of the games worries. And until Mike Laidlaw and the rest of the people that turned DA2 into the abomination it was and leave the series behind, I have no interest in the series. I haven't tried SWTOR yet because I don't have much money to spare for MMO's, but I have heard a lot of bad things from a lot people.

This post has been edited by Confederacy: Mar 14 2012, 02:27 AM

--------------------

Games (they have links! Click them!): Coming soon with *truly* remarkable games!
Oh oh oh, can I contribute to this conversation!?
I have an opinion about a game.

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

Obrusnine
post Mar 14 2012, 04:01 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

A lot of people who obviously don't know what their talking about... SWTOR blends MMO-style gameplay with great story. It has it's quirks and problems, but so do all fresh out of the gate MMO's. They are listening to the community and are working on things we want worked on... although those forums there are a rather venomous place. I think you should form your own opinion about it. Others criticize it because it's formulaic, but I always hated WoW so I don't get affected by that. The story makes it worthy to play, not the gameplay. That and the sheer amount of content, which is an unbelievable amount.

I honestly didn't have any problem with DA2, it's loads better then most RPG's.

Honestly the biggest problem I have with ME3 was that until that last 10 minutes... everything else about the game was utterly incredible.

--------------------

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...

+Quote Post

Soruve
post Mar 14 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #9

Inactive, but still here.
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: True Neutral

I realize this might sound like escapism from how lazy and cliche the end was, but I want to believe in the Indoctrination theory (look it up, it's very convincing). At least THAT MAKES SENSE. And if the theory IS true, it also makes me really sad because you KNOW BioWare is going to make you buy DLC for the REAL ending.

It's a lose-lose situation. :(

Anyway, this article sums up my feelings about the ending better than I could (indoctrination theory not withstanding):
http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-end...fans-are-right/

--------------------

(Added "new" content as of Jan. 1st 2012)

2008-10 ReStaff Archive
Two Years of hard work providing resources for the community from our ReStaff team. <3
All compiled together in one place.

2011 Restaff Compilation
Another year of hard work from the Restaff team!

+Quote Post

Obrusnine
post Mar 15 2012, 01:39 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Soruve @ Mar 14 2012, 05:12 PM) *
I realize this might sound like escapism from how lazy and cliche the end was, but I want to believe in the Indoctrination theory (look it up, it's very convincing). At least THAT MAKES SENSE. And if the theory IS true, it also makes me really sad because you KNOW BioWare is going to make you buy DLC for the REAL ending.

It's a lose-lose situation. sad.gif

Anyway, this article sums up my feelings about the ending better than I could (indoctrination theory not withstanding):
http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-end...fans-are-right/

The Indoctrination theory does hold water. In the end, I do not care, if they release a free DLC that fixes the endings then I am perfectly content. If it's paid DLC, then me and a lot of others will be justifiably and utterly pissed. If it is paid, I'm not buying it, I'm pirating it. But the first thing they need to do is balls up and admit their mistakes. If any game developer actually did that, I would be much more inclined to buy their games.

When I start my game development company in the future, one of our core tenets is admitting the mistakes we made and fixing them for the fans. Fans are the most important part, and a lot of developers don't respect them enough. That's what's going on with this wave of accessibility based games instead of games that are good and milestones.

It should be less about how wide an audience a game appeals to and less about making money then it is about making games that will stick with people (in a good way).

Bioware used to admit their mistakes, but now they are just starting to blatantly ignore them. It's a big loss of respect for the Bioware brand of games, and an even bigger one for selfish publishers like EA.

In addition, I actually came here to post that very article, lol... nice one!

--------------------

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...

+Quote Post

Revival
post Mar 21 2012, 01:42 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

Want to know my opinion on the endings? Marauder Shields, that is all. The only thing keeping me from being utterly pissed about the ending is that the multiplayer is addictive and is distracting me from being pissed about the story.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Paradox64
post Mar 21 2012, 02:09 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

The way it ended left my mouth wide open, I was like that can't be it, so I thought everything would be explain after the credits. (after credits nothing happens) SMDH what a way to end it, after everything in the game flowed so well the graphics, the music, the features, and imported decisions. If this is truly the end I will be sad but if they decide to make a ME4 or an expansion pack to clear up the confusion it might make a lot bioware fans happy.

+Quote Post

Obrusnine
post Mar 22 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

They said they were doing a DLC to fix up the endings.

Thank god, but if they make us pay for it I will be PISSED

--------------------

Various things...
Spoiler:
Various Sayings...

+Quote Post

Paradox64
post Mar 26 2012, 01:33 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

QUOTE (Obrusnine @ Mar 22 2012, 09:56 AM) *
They said they were doing a DLC to fix up the endings.

Thank god, but if they make us pay for it I will be PISSED

Free we could only hope but honestly i don't remember one free thing from bioware
not counting the codes they give us when we buy there games. etc DAO: blood dragon armor
I'm not complaining about these, ME2: Zaeed and kasumi character & shadow broker
ME3: multiplayer online pass, lol i even bought the collectors edition but I didn't get
the defender armor.

If we did have to pay for it i will be pissed and would buy it just because I haven't given up
on a true ending.

+Quote Post

Revival
post Mar 26 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

Unfortunately for you both we're dealing with EA here, Bioware themselves might have done something generous like give us new endings for free, unfortunately EA isn't going to let that happen... I bought CE of ME3 and have already spent an additional $40 on Multiplayer alone in a misguided attempt to unlock all characters needless to say it failed, I'm only missing the Turian Soldier sleep.gif For ME2 I purchased literally every piece of DLC, money well spent... I don't mind paying for DLC if it's for a good game.

Also Paradox, I'd contact EA about that... I had the same thing, only my From Ashes unlocked... I had to plead my case to get my soundtrack and armour both.

Also not to crap on your parade Obrusnine, but they only said they were going to provide content that would give clarity to the endings, not that they would make all new ones...alot of people misinterpreted that for what they wanted to hear, (including countless gaming news websites) I was one of those people at first, but the admin on the Mass Effect 2 (the legit page, funded by Bioware) page on facebook corrected that for me... basically the endings will be the same, they're just going to try to make them acceptable, scumbag Bioware is scumbag. I personally think the game could have benefited from another few months to a year in the Development oven... as somebody who uses RPG Maker VX to make my games, and does a better job than they did at that, you can tell EA cripple Bioware with time restraints, I refuse to believe this is what Bioware intended.

EDIT: Clarification ONLY DLC confirmed as fact yet again.

Though I did see one interesting theory (no not indoc.) That the Stargazer telling the story at the end was a representation of Bioware and the child represented the players so the last line of "one more story about the shepard" is hinting at another sequel, despite us being led to believe this was the finale... I also refuse to believe EA OR Bioware would drop a product that successful in just 3 games... their shit endings gathered support that led to over $80,000 in donations, that alone shows that Mass Effect 3 is by far singlehandedly the most controversial game of all time, that attention is probably what Bioware wanted, we can on speculate :/.

--------------------

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Apr 10 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #16

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

They probably will eventually (maybe not for a while) change the ending (with or without a DLC, I don't care). However, this will probably once again be crap, and unfortunately we will never get a good ending for such a beloved trilogy, because it's almost impossible to make a satisfactory ending to an amazing series (LOTR was the only trilogy with a good ending if you ask me).

This post has been edited by BlackMuffin: Apr 10 2012, 11:06 PM

--------------------
"People with Autism and other brain disorders are the most unfairly treated people in the world."- Dorian's World

Projects

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 01:22 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.