iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dungeons and Tantrums, A non linear RPG with an emphasis on player choice. [Demo Available]
Thnap
post Mar 19 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Game Description - Dungeons and Tantrums is a fantasy RPG set in a nation rife with instability and conflict. Its central theme is the political intrigue that is present in such a bleak landscape, with several factions vying for control in a grand city torn apart by its ruler.

Dungeons and Tantrums is a sandbox title with an emphasis on exploration and player choice, but with a strong storyline backing it up. The actions of the player will decide the fate of various characters and factions, shaping the game world as he/she sees fit.

As the title would imply, this project contains elements of humour but is definitely not a parody game. Characters will not always mix well together and some of their dialogue can become quite sarcastic and bad language is a possibility. Player discretion is advised. smile.gif

Story

Spoiler:
The nation of Darkmourne is suffering under the rule of a corrupt monarch. There is talk of religious war spreading to the neighbouring country of Zimala as King Wolfbane II seeks to spread his influence beyond his borders, and his subjects riot in the streets in protest of this drastic decision.

Due to the King's relative youth and inexperience, Darkmourne is run largely by a council known as The Praesidium. Comprised of the heads of various guilds and factions, they make the daily decisions and carry out the King's will. The people know them as little more than enforcers and support for the local guilds has declined as a result.

Darkmourne was once a paradise but has recently fallen into disrepute due to this instability and conflict, but one force hides within the shadows in service to the kingdom. Viewed as little more than traitors and vagabonds, The Family hold the majority of the political power in the capital city. They have spies within every institution and have bonded together under one banner in order to regulate crime and keep the country running smoothly.

South of the city, a young girl has signed on with a local merchant to serve as bodyguard on his expedition to the capital city. She sleeps soundly in the Royal Arms Inn, unaware of the role she is going to play in the salvation of the Kingdom . . .

Characters

Spoiler:
Melody - Melody is the chief protagonist of Dungeons and Tantrums. She is a seventeen year old girl who has recently left the safety of her hometown in order to seek her fame in the capital city. She has signed on with a local merchant as he travels to the city, along with a stranger calling himself Rudy.

Rudy - Rudy is a self titled ladies man, and proud member of The Family. He has signed on with a local merchant to act as bodyguard, much to the dismay of Melody who views him as nothing but a sleazeball who is trying to get in her pants.

Screenshots

Spoiler:
Dungeons and Tantrums features a side view battle system.
Spoiler:

Select your class and develop your party as you see fit.
Spoiler:

Serious moral choices. tongue.gif
Spoiler:

What game would be complete without arrogant villains?
Spoiler:

Meaningful character interaction.
Spoiler:

Craft your own weapons using materials you have mined or gathered from fallen enemies.
Spoiler:

Features
Spoiler:
A system based on choices and character development. You shape the world and see it change around you based on your decisions.

You are given a choice of three classes, a complex weapon crafting system and skill stores which are unlocked through questing. Diverse character development is the key focus of Dungeons and Tantrums!

A storyline filled with political intrigue that changes depending on your alliegances and enemies. Which guilds will rise and which will fall? You decide.

A projected play time of over 30 hours across three chapters. This is enhanced by a plethora of sidequests which can be completed in any order with a large number of alternative paths, endings and rewards.

Credits
Spoiler:

Monster Graphics:

Lufia 2

Character Sprites:

D.M - http://www.geocities.jp/dmdottostore/tckool/framepage.html

Icons:

Whitecat -http://whitecafe.sakura.ne.jp/material.html

Scripts:

Yanfly
Modern Algebra
Shanghai
Sky00Valentine

Music:

Kevin Macleod - http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/

Now, for the important part . . . The playable demo.

Demo version: 0.3a (Beta edition, updated 25/03/12)
The demo covers the first hour of gameplay and should be considered a work in progress.
There are a number of secrets hidden with the demo. Can you find them all?
Please report any bugs or suggestions in this topic. smile.gif

Download Link -Version 0.3a

I hope you enjoy playing Dungeons and Tantrums even half as much as I'm enjoying making it. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Thnap: Mar 25 2012, 01:52 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Kaimi
post Mar 20 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #2

RPGMakerVX.net's official Seranille lover
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

I don't know why, but SendSpace RESTARTS my computer so could you kindly please upload your game on some other site, like MediaFire?

--------------------

Thanks to Kaviator for the signature

My resources
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Mar 20 2012, 01:44 PM
Post #3

Retired
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

Looks like you put a lot of effort into your writing! Looks promising!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Thnap
post Mar 20 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kaimi @ Mar 20 2012, 01:32 PM) *
I don't know why, but SendSpace RESTARTS my computer so could you kindly please upload your game on some other site, like MediaFire?

Sure thing. I added a second link to the original post. smile.gif

@GrandmaDeb, thanks for the comment. Writing is definitely my main focus with this project; I am particularly aiming to give each character their own individual personality and special quirks in their speech. There is nothing worse than an RPG where the characters all sound like robots and don't react to the world around them. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Kaimi
post Mar 21 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Thank you, Thnap, oh thank you! I played the demo and I must say... I'm impressed on how well you took the mapping with the RTP, although walls are mean to be 2 tile high, but being able to 'manipulate' Melody is so good, although she resembles Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII too much, for me at least. Rudy is also quite cool, trying to impress a lady. I'm looking forward to the game. And oh! Battles are fun!

--------------------

My resources
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Thnap
post Mar 25 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

The name of this project has been changed to Dungeons and Tantrums and significant changes have been made to the demo. It should now be fully playable from start to finish and a lot of small bugs have been ironed out. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Thnap: Mar 25 2012, 01:50 AM

+Quote Post

Kaimi
post Mar 25 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

In the second-to-the-last screenshot the name box says "Bandit Chieftan." I think it should say "Bandit Chieftain."

--------------------

My resources
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

amerk
post Apr 16 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

When I click the Download Link it says it's set to Private.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 05:32 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.