iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rebirth Ideas, Suggestions to Improve the Forum
amerk
post Mar 22 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

As the topic title suggests, I wanted to open a forum here where we can all share ideas and offer suggestions in VX.net's rebirth. Aside from discussing what may or may not have worked in the past, let's please leave out the unfortunate events over the past few days, which includes any suggestions we may have for iEntry, as they have already heard our complaints. Instead, let's focus more on the community and what we can offer to new and existing members. Also keep in mind that these are only suggestions (for now), and may or may not ever be implemented.

First, I just want to congratulate the new staff members (including the mods and Admins). It's a tough job, and your efforts are appreciated.

I'll start:

1. I think if we want to grow again, we're going to have to incude VXA in our community (rather than send the VXA users off to another site). We wouldn't have to change the website address, but we probably want to change the content in our forum to something like VX/A, or even VX-A. Nevermind that VX and Ace are close to each other and offer similar advantages, and things like events, resources, and tutorials can be shared between the two. A lot of people (especially newbies) who purchase Ace may not be aware of that and will want to go where they think VXA is covered. This would also include adding a section for RGSS3 (for requests, support, and submissions).

2. A tough break, but the resource section is probably the one that will suffer the most, with so many people closing shop and taking their submissions elsewhere. We could use a good resource staff to add to that; and I was thinking we could do a contest first where people submit new resources that would go into this section, but based on a vote by either the current staff or the community as a whole, the winner(s) of the competition would become the new resource staff.

3. Tutorials: I love them, I think they are great, and I've learned more things about VX and RPG Maker in general from this site that most other sites. However, to this day no site really has an effective scripting tutorial. I don't mean a tutorial on how to write scripts, but rather how to use scripts that are already available, similar to how there was the Tenkentai tutorial. This would be especially effective for the non plug-n-play scripts, such as Quest Journals and battle enhancements. The tutorials would just cover the intitial set up and maybe cover a couple of initial examples. So for the Quest Journal, mayhap it will walk through on how to set up a basic quest that others can follow and build upon.

4. Community Project and Resources. We need some sprites for the new staff and contributing members that can be used for future projects related to the community. Maybe this can be done as a contest (see number 2).

That's the ideas that come to my mind at the moment. If anybody has any other ideas or wish to comment on mine, please share.

Edit: I daresay, this is the very first post I ever made for this site. Bring out the balloons!!!

***edit***

***from Granny***

This post has been edited by GrandmaDeb: Mar 22 2012, 02:53 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Tohsaka
post Mar 22 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: True Neutral

Definitely, if we mean to succeed, we need to out compete Degica/RPGMakerWeb.

For some thing, I think we should implement -EXCLUSIVE- resources, that are licensed specifically to rpgmakervx.net/iEntry, so that we can legally prosecute those who distribute them elsewhere. That will not affect members of this community, since they'll be here, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Mar 22 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Retired
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

QUOTE (Tohsaka @ Mar 22 2012, 11:39 AM) *

For some thing, I think we should implement -EXCLUSIVE- resources, that are licensed specifically to rpgmakervx.net/iEntry, so that we can legally prosecute those who distribute them elsewhere. That will not affect members of this community, since they'll be here, right?

Thanks for your zeal for this site, Tohsaka, but I am not sure that we need to do that sort of thing to be successful.

Many RPG making communities succeed without pushing other communities out of the way - remember that there are many many people on the world-wide web!

And we already have many, many resources here on our site! =]

As for legally prosecuting folks, I am not sure that very much of that would go on, certainly not from anyone here.

Although we do vigorously defend artists from infringements like reposting without permission or use without credit, we are not in the lawsuit business.

but again, thanks for the enthusiasm!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Rixis
post Mar 22 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

Just throwing this out there. This site is not for competing with anyone. This site is here for doing what is has always done and will continue to try and do and that is help others.

So please don't get the wrong idea folks, as I am still friends with many on the new official site and am an active member there as well.

Anyway I just wanted to say that.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I am your Goddess and you worship me then put this userbar in your sig :D!
-------------You must obey! @_@------------

Other stuff you SHOULD look at :].....Obey @_@!!!!!

Spoiler:
------------My current project-----------------

--------------Projects I'm looking forward to----------

+Quote Post

Pryde
post Mar 22 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

I agree with Rixis and Deb. I don't think exclusive content will be as useful as originating content. Anyone visiting us here that likes what they see should be more then welcome to spread the word--that's called "free word-of-mouth advertising." smile.gif Wouldn't it be better to be known for who we are and what we can do then to display a nice shiny turtle badge and say "we survived despite....?"

I do think it would be good to continue the traditions that made vxnet so successful to begin with, including the contests. In the event things settle down it might even be fun to have friendly contest competitions with other forums, but that's probably a pipe dream.

--------------------
OmniMech Bumper Sticker: Some Assembly Required

+Quote Post

Revival
post Mar 22 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Evil

QUOTE (Tohsaka @ Mar 22 2012, 04:39 PM) *

You're a sponsor no? Just put your stuff in your user forum and nowhere else, that way at the very leas only rmvx.net members can get to it, and not guests. But last time I checked, redistributing somebody's work without crediting them is still illegal lol, so I don't think that's a huge issue, as long as artists get credit where credit is due, forcing people to use the site for certain resources isn't fair, it's like Bioware forcing people to install Origin to play Mass Effect, nobody likes not having a choice in things, and in the end that could prove to be counterproductive for the site. Also, why stomp out other sites... I for one use both this forum and the RPGRevolution forum, because each contain their own unique content, I don't think we should necessarily drive them into the ground either.

On that note, what I feel the community needs is well, nothing really, I loved this community from the start for the most part and really can't think of anything to change... before I would have suggested that mods stop being such d***s to users for nothing, but the ones I'm thinking of have migrated, so that's a problem that fixed itself.

*There* Now I thought of something. I think we all need to be a little bit nicer to the noobs. New people come here, and yeh, sometimes they're pretty stupid, have broken english, or make very to little sense to us, but it drives me mad when I see somebody go off on a noob for simple things (I had a like experience when I first signed up, and almost never came back here) We can't be scaring away the new users just because we have ore knowledge than them, and I see it far too often.

Alot of people also don't understand the concept of forums, I'll be the first to admit this was my first forum to use, and yea, I didn't realize there was such strict guidelines when it came to making posts, or double posting, I saw it as any other site where you just skip though the rules, terms and conditions and post whatever you want. We need to turn the noobs into newbs so they can go on to finish their games and possibly contribute to the community.

No names, but there was a certain mod, who's no longer with us, who I saw act incredibly hostile to new users several times, I actually got myself a warn defending the noobs . No abuse to power, and more understanding.

--------------------

+Quote Post

landis17
post Mar 22 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #7

Yo...I'm back.
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Meh. It isn't a competition. I'm on both the new site and this one, and I still like them both.

But still, it's good to see that you're enthusiastic about making this site better. wink.gif

+Quote Post

ShinGamix
post Apr 1 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #8

...now loading...
Group Icon

Type: Designer

Can we come up some Rebirth Ideas? Nothing wrong with making it better though.

--------------------
The Maker of Battle Dungeons!!

+Quote Post

Ookie Panda
post Apr 1 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #9

Infecting RMVX.net with "OwO" since 2009
Group Icon

Hey. What happened to team spirit?
Just because you guys aren't competing, doesn't mean you do not have competition. There is! And they are out to be bigger and better than yourselves!

Teamwork, people. Have some forum-pride. This forum was founded, like Pine said, with friends working together. As a team! The togetherness and pride is enough to out-do your competition, without competing~
</peptalk>

I think a contest idea to hire new restaff is a great idea. Similar to how the Pixel Madness contest hired some of the winners and runner-ups. It shows you who is dedicated enough to meet deadlines, and who is skilled enough to come out on top~ >: O

Yeah, so that's what I think.
Who has the time to be running a contest, though... that is up to the staff, I guess.

--------------------

This is where Ookie's at. Let's build another community together!

+Quote Post

amerk
post Apr 2 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Drats, I wish I had a "like" button for Ookie's post. But that's more or less why I created this topic. Not because I think the site needs a complete makeover, as I'm sure it can stand on its own, but to help improve it and also to explore new ideas we may otherwise not have thought of before. These are only ideas, and some of those ideas may not make it passed this post, whereas some ideas may be the foundation for newer and greater things.

I also agree with Revival in regards to newbies (not so much noobs) in that while some things may seem obvious to us may not be to them. I admit I get sick and tired of hearing the same questions (how can I get more tilesets, for one), but the energy it takes to reply with snobbish remark versus a quick point in the right direction is not worth it.

On the other hand, perhaps what we need is a sort of Membership HQ, possibly added to the Community Central. This forum could be a starting point for new members, but it can also benefit current members as well. Here we would have a listing of all the staff members, and their roles, any community announcements and changes for the site (the Community Announcements forum could probably be moved within here), an FAQ (maybe broken into category between using VX and using the site) of the top most asked questions in RM history (ie., questions about commercial use, tilesets, XP vs VX debates, how to post a screenshot in their post, and even some noobish questions about basic event commands).

We can even include a site map that links out to various areas (resources, tutorials, scripts, overall site rules, individual forum rules as well as any templates to be followed for posting games).

That way a person can't say they didn't know, because it's all right there. But more importantly, it would be a starting point for whenever somebody becomes lost.

Edit: Thanks for the balloons, Granny! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by amerkevicius: Apr 2 2012, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post

deddragon
post May 25 2012, 01:29 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Evil

As one of those noobs who would really like to be promoted to newb, I agree with a lot of what is said here. A Forum HQ, a FAQ page, a site map...these sort of things could make the site more user-friendly for people like me who have never really used a forum before. I was one of those resource seekers who came here to take, but stayed for the love. Here's some of the issues I ran into as an average joe searching for help:

1. I've read all the rules, but that doesn't mean I understand them. For example, I get the general idea of "necro-posting" but I have no idea what qualifies. For all I know, this post might be a necro.

2. Conflicting rules. My example for this is what I found when I wanted to post a completed game. In one place I found that I was supposed to post it in "Project Development" and then ask a mod to move it, in the "Completed Games" section it says that I can post my game there and it will go into a moderation queue until approved. Neither of these turned out to be true, as I posted in "Completed Games" and it was immediately available.

3. Poor search formats. I'm a seasoned searcher. In fact, I'm one of those people who grabs a random search engine and runs a random search at least once a week to see what I can find. The search function on this site nearly defeated me, though. As this is my first forum experience, maybe this is indicative of the kind of difficulty that exists searching forums and I just don't know it. Some advanced options, such as searching only Titles, searchable keywords or tags, search by poster, etc, would have been very handy though. Many times I don't even know why I got half of the results that got returned.

4. Non-existent posts. Nothing has recently made me as irritated as getting a search result that I think is absolutely perfect after a dozen duds, just to find out that the post has been moved or the resources are expired. I don't know how this can be fixed, however, unless some of the most used ones are permanently stored on this site's servers without the option to move or modify. Not a perfect solution, but I guess that's why I'm not in charge :)*

5. Keep up the great work! This site is great. I like the fact that I can come here and get feedback (and give it) and different opinions on anything I need help with. That is what made me come back here over and over. While I don't always agree with the opinions I read, I appreciate that those opinions aren't removed or edited by moderators like on some social sites. While some of the resources are flawed or won't work for every project, they're still here just in case.

That's all I'd like to say. For now. I hope that I've been helpful.

--------------------

deddragon

+Quote Post

CrimsonBeats
post May 25 2012, 01:58 AM
Post #12

Moka-san <3 ;_;
Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

the forums are fine guys s'all good happy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 03:50 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.