iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2011 Winter Contest Winners, Finally~
Ookie Panda
post Apr 3 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #1

Infecting RMVX.net with "OwO" since 2009
Group Icon

Type: Artist
Alignment: Unaligned

This took longer than planned because I lost two of my judges. Ookie had to scramble to find others, and even they couldn't help me much on short notice. But alas, the winners have been decided. I thank my beloved MagnificentBobo for forcing himself to watch these projects even though he felt under the weather. And I thank CrimsonBeats for helping me on short notice. And thanks especially to Indra, Radscythe, Kyriaki, and hkoz for participating. You all did very, very good. You should be proud of your creations.

I do not have official scores from MagnificentBobo or CrimsonBeats. They can post them here if they like. Here are mine, if you would like an in-depth analysis of your game. I hope you find these helpful~ Like I said, everyone did fantastic.

As for the prizes, Radscythe will get a Sponsorship and a Pinned Project in ProjectDev forum of his choosing. Indra will get a Sponsorship. And Kyriaki gets an "owo" from Ookie plus the neat banner I made for you guys~ Isn't it awesome? O w O

The Lord of Fire by Indra (83/100)
Spoiler:
[Story]
-Plot: 15 /20 pts
I found your plotline very intuitive. You kept me interested and wondering what would happen next. What is going to happen to Fire? Why is everyone so worried for him? It was, however, a little unoriginal and had little emotional impact at the end. Basically, it had a very good build, but no powerful climax, and simply eased into the end. The overall presentation was very good, though.
-Character Development: 10 /15 pts
I loved how every god, and even the humans, you included were different in their own way. Though we didn't have much time to know all of the characters well, I very much enjoyed the fact that they all stood out in their own way. Admittedly, I was expecting Light and Darkness to be a bit more... unforgiving? But I don't think I knew them well enough to determine that. Everyone was well thought-out.. except for the main character. I'm sorry, but I found him way too calm about everything. It made him seem noble, but just a little fear or sadness would have made him more relate-able as a character.
-Dialogue: 10 /10 pts
I really enjoyed the dialogue. Nearly every word spoken was purposeful and believable. Nothing was too expected or predictable. Even when the modern slang slipped in, it was explained. No complaints here.
-Theme: 6 /10 pts
The overall theme was actually a bit depressing. Which, of course, was the point. But I feel like it was softened way too much. One, he didn't fight his fate. Only one person did. Two, he sort of carried on a legacy after. And three, by his suffering, he did a lot of good for humans. It was a bittersweet ending.
-Creativity with Setting: 18 /20 pts
We had little taste of winter in the beginning. And at the climax, Fire was basically served an eternal tomb in ice. The winter setting in this story is actually very powerful since it was used against this person's favor (though winter is not favorable to anyone.. for him its worse). Great job!

Total Story: 59 /75 pts
[Game/Scene Development]
-Mechanics: 10 /10 pts
Everything was ship-shape. Played through the game perfectly. No notable grammar or spelling errors.
-Eventing: 9 /10 pts
Nothing too fancy here. I think there could have been more, though. More movement with the sprites or camera. But overall, the eventing did what it was meant to do: tell your story.
-Aesthetics: 5 /5 pts
Great music, great sprites, decent maps. Would have been curious to see the faces of these characters, but that is nothing to dock you for.

Total Development: 24 /25 pts

D.Season by Radscythe (90/100)
Spoiler:
[Story]
-Plot: 20 /20 pts
I absolutely adore your story-telling. Every moment had me wondering what was next. You also kept the facts very clouded, which worked in your favor. Your plot really demonstrates that presentation is very important and powerful. It was also interesting to see that the main obstacle in this story, rather than outside forces, was actually internal. The climax was very striking, and the ending trailed off with a somewhat heightened sensation that something dreadful was going to occur. Rather original in my opinion. Though, not everything was fully explained, there was not adequate time to do so, it seemed. In fact, it seemed like you had more to tell. Very good job.
The main character seemed very relate-able in the beginning. Just a person struggling with their inner demons, wanting to gain control. He became less of that when the flashback occurred. But then again, it was -somewhat- explained by the fact that they were being bred into little hellions. His friend Mary could have shown more reason as to why he considered her 'pure'. From what we were given, she was just another one of him. The other characters weren't really touched upon, but seemed to have at least -some- traits of their own. I would advise not always going with what makes sense, but what will affect your audience. It makes sense to make the children desensitized to their trauma, but it also makes the audience a bit desensitized by doing that.
-Dialogue: 6 /10 pts
The dialogue of the adults was bland, but that was because the person instructed the main character "speak officially", I'm assuming. However, I did not enjoy how deeply the children spoke. Sure, they have seen a lot, but that should have been even more reason why they would struggle with their inner feelings. No, I didn't expect the children to speak like idiots, but they sounded a little -too- intelligent. It would have been better if the deeper feelings were explained by the narrating protagonist, rather than the child.
-Theme: 9 /10 pts
The story had a pretty good (bad?) emotional impact. The involvement of children? Murder? Got to love it. The plot gets an A+. However, the ending troubled me. Now, it could have worked as a tragic ending for some, but for me, it was too mysterious. It left way too much room in my head for possibilities. Is he getting his demons suppressed and everything will be fine? Are they going to betray him and just silence him for good? Does he want revenge? So as you can see, some might assume its a tragic ending, but for me personally, the ending was too inconclusive for me to really know that it was tragic.
-Creativity with Setting: 20 /20 pts
Forgot the name of the time period where no one would go out, but it was very creative. And also the note at the end about how it was the same as before was powerful. Good job.

Total Story: 65 /75 pts
[Game/Scene Development]
No errors, no lag. Runs perfectly.
-Eventing: 10 /10 pts
Thoroughly enjoyed the panning of the camera, the tints, the movements. Wonderful~
Who knew cyangmou's tiles looked so eerie! Only a few custom sprites, but you put effort into the important ones.

Total Development: 25 /25 pts

The Offering by Kyriaki (77/100)
Spoiler:
[Story]
-Plot: 12 /20 pts
The plot wasn't entirely original. An evil tyrant is oppressing the people.. A savior comes. The tyrant feels threatened by the savior... etc. Though the idea seemed borne of a cliche, you added your own spice into the mix. The beginning was a little slow, but established the setting and obstacle. After the first part, the story moved ahead very steadily and interestingly. You kept me appealed until the end. Great build-up, but I felt that there was no end.. but rather, it was cutoff at the climax.
-Character Development: 8 /15 pts
I felt like all of the characters were rigid. Full, relate-able and understandable characters have more than one face. Though there wasn't much time, there could have been a lot more to the characters than shown. The only character I felt stood out was the prince. He wasn't as simple as the others. He had depth, which I enjoyed and wanted to know more about.
-Dialogue: 9 /10 pts
Fitting for a medieval era. Almost poetic at times. My only complaint, was that no one truly showed a great emotion at any point, besides the son. Who later becomes insignificant.
-Theme: 5 /10 pts
It was set up to be a tragedy, definitely. But cutting off at the climax did not assure the audience of the prophetess's fate. Similar to D.Season's ending, it leaves too much room for questions. If anything, it gave me more of a hopeful mood, than a feeling of dread.
-Creativity with Setting: 18 /20 pts
The setting was there, but it was sort of just in the background. There seemed to be some significance to it that I didn't fully grasp.

Total Story: 52 /75 pts
[Game/Scene Development]
Worked smoothly. A few mistakes with capitalization a few times.
-Eventing: 10 /10 pts
Loved the movements. The flow. The angles of the camera. Everything was fluid.
Great emotes for the faces. Lovely windowskin that I was happy to see someone use. The music was also pleasantly haunting.

Total Development: 25 /25 pts

Sorrow by hkoz (68/100)
Spoiler:
[Story] *Note: I only played a little bit of the Game Mode. Not much of it. This is based mostly on Theater Mode.
-Plot: 17 /20 pts
The idea is just a little cliche. Searching for an object that is supposed to solve your problems is nothing that new. The stories behind why each person was searching, however? They were quite touching. I can see, you have a knack for tugging on people's heartstrings. The build would have probably been much greater if I played the whole game mode and struggled with the party. So I'll give you credit for that. They probably went through hell to get to the end. And then.. well, I didn't understand why they had to die, but, the ending still had an impact.
Every character was very special in their own way. All were noble. Desperate. And in pain. I think the suffering alone, made them relate-able. Everyone has been in love, and not loved back. Everyone has disappointed their family at some point. And everyone would do anything for their own kin. I think you should have explained why they were all sticking together. And made it more obvious that they were a team. That would have made the ending even worse.
-Dialogue: 6 /10 pts
A little bland. Everyone said what you would expect them to say, and I don't know if that was good or bad.
-Theme: 10 /10 pts
You broke me at the end.
-Creativity with Setting: 10 /20 pts
...Did you even mention winter? I don't remember winter being included at all..? I don't think it was. But the village-type setting was suitable, nonetheless.

Total Story: 53 /75 pts
[Game/Scene Development]
-Mechanics: 3 /10 pts
The original file has a lot of grammar and spelling errors. Shahenda's (dunno if I spelt that right) first story crashes the game. The sprites in Shahenda's story also change for some reason. There's a sprite-change error at the end. Just a lot of bugs that could have been fixed if it were thoroughly tested.
-Eventing: 7 /10 pts
I can tell that you're new to the program. But in the end, you got the job done. You told your story.
Nothing wrong with your tiles or sprites.

Total Development: 15 /25 pts

--------------------

This is where Ookie's at. Let's build another community together!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

CrimsonBeats
post Apr 3 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #2

Moka-san <3 ;_;
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Lawful Good

This was so much fun to judge! While im not home right now i would love to submit my full review for each game when i get back in a week. Congrats to everyone on an excellent entry. Really.

+Quote Post

GrandmaDeb
post Apr 3 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #3

Retired
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Gratz, folks! Looking forward to playing your games!

(and seeing your coolio animated siggies)

--------------------

+Quote Post

hkoz
post Apr 7 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Chaotic Good

congratulation to the winners. Didn't expect less. T_T DAMN I didn't get much time to probably test it T_T. I have fixed every thing later, so if i can repost it somewhere else please notify me please.

--------------------
My Projects:
-The Lost Myth(in progress)
-Soul list (my game for the free for all contest 2011)

Spoiler:

I support:

+Quote Post

Ookie Panda
post Apr 8 2012, 06:25 AM
Post #5

Infecting RMVX.net with "OwO" since 2009
Group Icon

Type: Artist

QUOTE (hkoz @ Apr 7 2012, 12:51 AM) *
congratulation to the winners. Didn't expect less. T_T DAMN I didn't get much time to probably test it T_T. I have fixed every thing later, so if i can repost it somewhere else please notify me please.

You can post your game in the "Completed Games" section~

--------------------

This is where Ookie's at. Let's build another community together!

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Apr 10 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #6

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Well-earned wins, I really find it impressive what a lot of people can do in such short notice. Damn, you people have talent beyond understanding. e_e

EDIT
Just a quick question that came to mind; how long have you winners been using the RPGMakers? It must take a lot of experience to make those games. OwO

This post has been edited by BlackMuffin: Apr 10 2012, 11:21 PM

--------------------
"People with Autism and other brain disorders are the most unfairly treated people in the world."- Dorian's World

Projects

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 02:38 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.