iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skills by Item/Equip Use, Depending on Frequency of Use
SaburoX
post Apr 3 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Hi. I'm sorry if a this has been done already but I haven't been able to find the exact effect I'm looking for via searching. I'm looking for a script or a modification to an existing one that would have the effect of teaching skills depending on if a player has used an item or equip for a certain duration or number of times.

I've looked at scripts that do similar things like
Wortana's Skill from Equipment ( http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=779 )
Reedo's Skill on Equip ( http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=23348 )
Modern Algebra's Learn Skill by Use ( http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,34581.0.html )
and Skill Teaching Equipment & Items ( http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,24407.0.html )

Most equip to skill based scripts have the effect of being dependent on the actor always having that item equipped to use the skill, and that's counter to what I'm looking for. Similarly items that teach skills are a single use affair. Obviously there are many scripts with elements of what I'm looking for. I'm trying to figure out a way to combine and enhance them.
If you're familiar at all with Final Fantasy IX and/or Lost Odyssey then it may be a bit more familiar. Basically, depending on a defined number of using the item or a class of items, a skill would be unlocked.

So for example,

Use Potion 100 times (in or out of combat) -> Unlock "First Aid" skill for all characters.
Use Potion 50 times and High Potion 50 times (in or out of combat) -> Unlock "First Aid" skill for all characters.
Use Fire Sword (via the basic attack) in 100 battles -> Unlock "Fire Slash" skill for character that used the sword.

I hope to use this in tandem with KGC's Skill CP System and SBS Tankentai, but I don't think any conflicts should result from using them both.

Thanks for your time!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post Apr 15 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Bumping.

+Quote Post

Zarby
post Apr 16 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Neutral Good

Hi when you use 50 potions it "Unlock" the skill or the players learn it automatically ?, i can do it i think
if you can answer this it gonna be more easy smile.gif

--------------------

I am french then sorry if you dont understand correctly what i write :P

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post Apr 17 2012, 02:29 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zarby @ Apr 16 2012, 06:04 PM) *
Hi when you use 50 potions it "Unlock" the skill or the players learn it automatically ?, i can do it i think
if you can answer this it gonna be more easy smile.gif

Thanks for responding. I think it would be the latter, with the entire party learning the skill automatically. Since I plan on using this in tandem with the Skill CP system, you'd then get to choose which characters had the skill equipped.

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post Apr 26 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Bumping.

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post May 5 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Bumping.

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post May 11 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Bumping.

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post May 20 2012, 02:07 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Bumping.

+Quote Post

jesse120
post May 20 2012, 03:23 AM
Post #9

Master Eventer, Novice scripter, pathetic spriter
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

have the item call a common event that will increase a variable by 1 each time the item is used then have the same common event check with a conditional branch for the amount the variable is and when it is large enough have it teach the skill to your whole party.

--------------------
I might not post anything for a while, but I am still here, watching. You may not see me, but I see you.
Still taking event requests. Still watching topics. I will see comments to my posts and respond.
I will probably not update any of my scripts for a while.

I have not gone!!!

Spoiler:

Master eventer
Need an unusual event call me and i might be able to make it
ex vehicle, pet
search number
I do take event requests
search number 10519195120
Please don't put this number on any of your own posts or topics
note: the search number will be on any post I make to aid in searching by author. If I forget to put it on a topic please notify me.

I will try to check any posts/PMs around 7:30 AM, 3:00 PM, and after 6 PM most days (time in Pacific Time)

The ultimate video game

Legend of, Elder, Fear, of Fabled, Fallout, Call, of Modern, Gears, of Halo, Metal, Ghost, Assassin, Mass, Homicide, Fantasy, 5
That stands for
Legend of Zelda, Elder Scrolls, ?????, Fable, Fallout, Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, Gears of War, Halo, Metal Gears, Ghost Recon, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Auto Homicide, Final Fantasy, 5
Let me know if you want a game added to the list

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, believe he is the only way to heaven, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post May 22 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (jesse120 @ May 20 2012, 03:23 AM) *
have the item call a common event that will increase a variable by 1 each time the item is used then have the same common event check with a conditional branch for the amount the variable is and when it is large enough have it teach the skill to your whole party.

Thanks for the advice. I've tried it as you said, and it seems to work okay but for some reason now when I use potions it automatically closes the item menu after using them. Is there some way to set the common event to fix that?

For the record I'm using KGC Custom Menu and KGC Categorize Items as well.

+Quote Post

jesse120
post May 22 2012, 11:16 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

to solve this put this at the end of the item common event
CODE
@>Conditional Branch: [1. ] is Appeared
  @>
:Else
  @> Script: $scene = Scene_Item.new
  @>
:Branch End
@>

--------------------
I might not post anything for a while, but I am still here, watching. You may not see me, but I see you.
Still taking event requests. Still watching topics. I will see comments to my posts and respond.

I have not gone!!!

Spoiler:

Master eventer
ex vehicle, pet
search number
I do take event requests
note: the search number will be on any post I make to aid in searching by author. If I forget to put it on a topic please notify me.

I will try to check any posts/PMs around 7:30 AM, 3:00 PM, and after 6 PM most days (time in Pacific Time)

The ultimate video game

Legend of, Elder, Fear, of Fabled, Fallout, Call, of Modern, Gears, of Halo, Metal, Ghost, Assassin, Mass, Homicide, Fantasy, 5
That stands for
Legend of Zelda, Elder Scrolls, ?????, Fable, Fallout, Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, Gears of War, Halo, Metal Gears, Ghost Recon, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Auto Homicide, Final Fantasy, 5

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, believe he is the only way to heaven, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post May 25 2012, 03:32 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

It works for the mostpart but I'm curious. Is there a way to set this so that it doesn't flash to the map and then restore the menu, but instead never leave the menu? Or is that something that only a script would be capable of?

Ultimately I'd like a method that offers consistency so the player isn't automatically clued in on what items are being counted.

+Quote Post

jesse120
post May 26 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

I am not sure how to remove that but you can have all items call a common event with the in it so all items have that momentary window close. You could even put a gulping sound there for potions and such
CODE
@>Conditional Branch: [1. ] is Appeared
  @>
:Else
  @> Script: $scene = Scene_Item.new
  @>
:Branch End
@>

--------------------

I have not gone!!!

Spoiler:

Master eventer
ex vehicle, pet
search number
I do take event requests

The ultimate video game

That stands for

+Quote Post

SaburoX
post Jun 11 2012, 06:30 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

I appreciate the help you've given me thusfar, and I think that I'll probably go with your method as a fall back option because it does work so well, but stylistically it's not what I'm looking for because of how it causes the menu to close in that manner. Had I been aware that common events will close the item menu regardless of what they do, I would have specified earlier that I had hoped to avoid that issue. But again, thank you.

+Quote Post

jesse120
post Jun 11 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

just remember that if you have all the items close and open the window it will look normal.

--------------------

I have not gone!!!

Spoiler:

Master eventer
ex vehicle, pet
search number
I do take event requests

The ultimate video game

That stands for

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 07:19 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.