iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Have you ever been forced to start over?
Dorian's World
post Apr 6 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

I have. My computer caught a virus and I need to get a new hard drive. All progress is lost. Has this ever happened to anyone here?

This post has been edited by Dorian's World: Apr 6 2012, 06:19 AM

--------------------
How do variables work again...? -.-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

MistaJay
post Apr 6 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

QUOTE (Dorian's World @ Apr 6 2012, 03:19 PM) *
I have. My computer caught a virus and I need to get a new hard drive. All progress is lost. Has this ever happened to anyone here?

Oh yes, as a DJ losing ones library of music (Three times) was the worst thing ever, not only did I have to buy a new laptop to run off of, I also had to re-collect, download, sort, and label, all some 60,000+ songs. It's horrible...

I have lost data on all kinds of things, for all kinds of reasons, you are not alone in your pain.

+Quote Post

amerk
post Apr 6 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Unaligned

The only thing I can contribute is "Back Up", it'll save you much heartache in the end.

+Quote Post

Virus 9
post Apr 6 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #4

Evil is a virus that spreads!
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

When my keyboard on my laptop was all messed up (Were you press a button like "F" it type "Y") I had it get fix and when my Laptop return the Game data was all destroyed. (But I was smart enough to save it. But if I didn't I would of lost it.)

--------------------
EVIL RULES OVER ALL!
Spoiler:
After a great deal of a vote, I have been chosen to remain evil by the members of the forum! Now prepare for the 2nd stage of my plot!

I Support
Spoiler:

CODE
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/ftklqq.png[/img]

Building
Spoiler:

Read if New or Beginner!
Spoiler:
Are you new to RPG Maker VX or the Forum? I will help you with some simple guides to understanding.
  1. If you are new to the forum then make your introduction known to the community. Also if you are leaving us we would like to hear you there.
  2. If you have experience something wrong with this Community Forum that is not working right you can contact the staff by visiting the Feedback and Support.
  3. People like us are willing to help anyone who is having any problems with RPG Maker VX Program down here in the Support / Help Forum. We do provide some provided answers in here to read.Or you can contact RPG_Lover or Akod for help through PM.
  4. Need some new images/audios for your game? We provide a wide range for your game development needs in our Resource Showcase. We also provide if you can not find what you need a request for something.
  5. If it's scripts you need. We can help you find what functions you want to add to your games in our Complete RGSS2 Scripts! As well we provide a request if you got something else in mind you need.
  6. Got a game developed and ready to show? You can provide any Completed Games or Under Developed Games with us to get a result from the community.
  7. Now you can also relax in our Off-Discussion of RPG Maker VX.

We do have a small support for RPG Maker VX ACE here. I recommend if your starting to use RPG Maker VX to go and fix your Game_Interpreter. Make sure to follow the Community Rules and you will be OK on your way.

+Quote Post

shinraSOLDIER77
post Apr 9 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

I think I, well sorta, had to start over on a lot of things. A year ago I literally went through 4 computers till I was able to have a stable, my use only computer. So during all that I had to transfer EVERY thing from computer to computer, and along the way of transferring I lost my game project I was working on (I left it on a computer and never put it on my backups, so when I gave it away, I did the same with my project).
I had a good 10 hours of game play built in it two, but I decided to scrap it since I didn't want to redo all the eventing and map building, it was a test project anyways so it didn't mean much to me.

My answer to your question is Yes, I have been forced to start over on a project, but not in resource collection, I have all my resources backed up on a portable hard drive that I update every 2 weeks or so.

--------------------
got nothing... PIE!!!

I support:

+Quote Post

hinky_pickles
post Apr 11 2012, 05:29 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Type: Coder

I can't even tell you how many times this has happened to me. I've lost many great game projects because of it actually, but it's taught me the importance of backing my projects up. Yeah, even losing a few hours of work can be disheartening but losing an entire project will destroy your soul. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Apr 11 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #7

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

I didn't lose as much of the game itself than I did lose the scripts required to make it run. Since the computer I use is "special," it sometimes decides to restart itself, and if I was working on a script at the time it happened, I lose my entire Scripts file, forcing me to copy all the scripts from an unedited script file, so I have to remake all the changes myself. Fortunately, I've never had to completely start over, but it was certainly a pain in the ass to have to make all those changes to my game again.

>_<

--------------------
"People with Autism and other brain disorders are the most unfairly treated people in the world."- Dorian's World

Projects

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Apr 12 2012, 04:37 AM
Post #8

stai sprecando il tuo tempo
Group Icon

I have never really been forced to start over. However, I love to start over with my projects. So if I had to, I would not mind at all.

Really, it is a chance to do things better than how you were doing them the last time.

--------------------
Chooo Chooo

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Apr 12 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #9

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

QUOTE (Omegas7 @ Apr 12 2012, 12:37 AM) *
I have never really been forced to start over. However, I love to start over with my projects. So if I had to, I would not mind at all.

Really, it is a chance to do things better than how you were doing them the last time.

That's an interesting concept. Do you start over halfway through a game, or do you redo an entire game once it's finished?

--------------------
"People with Autism and other brain disorders are the most unfairly treated people in the world."- Dorian's World

Projects

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Apr 13 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #10

stai sprecando il tuo tempo
Group Icon

QUOTE (BlackMuffin @ Apr 12 2012, 04:42 PM) *
That's an interesting concept. Do you start over halfway through a game, or do you redo an entire game once it's finished?

If I finish a game, it is because it is definitely finished - no reason to start over. Naturally, game development is divided in all kinds of steps, say, HUD scripting & design. I will start over and over to make a better HUD design until I am really amazed by it. So if I finish the HUD, I move on to another feature...

--------------------
Chooo Chooo

+Quote Post

BlackMuffin
post Apr 15 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #11

私は、日本語は話せません。
Group Icon

QUOTE (Omegas7 @ Apr 12 2012, 08:32 PM) *
If I finish a game, it is because it is definitely finished - no reason to start over. Naturally, game development is divided in all kinds of steps, say, HUD scripting & design. I will start over and over to make a better HUD design until I am really amazed by it. So if I finish the HUD, I move on to another feature...

That's actually a really good idea.

--------------------

Projects

+Quote Post

ryguy60
post Apr 16 2012, 02:01 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Alignment: True Neutral

I've restarted my game once before. I was becoming too dependent on what Hanzo Kimura was doing with Valkyrie Stories and felt that I was just copying him. I'm so glad I did this! I really feel like my game can stand out now and not look like a Valkyrie Stories clone. I'm using Coming of Age Day tiles if anyone was wondering, I HIGHLY recommend them.

--------------------
I Support:
Spoiler:

Check out my project at www.facebook.com/echoesofeternia

+Quote Post

KamaKazeR
post Oct 4 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #13

The Machete King
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Neutral Good

I had put 8 months of work into one game I was working on awhile back and one i day i went to open rpg maker vx and it said the game cannot be loaded and i looked all online and no one knew how to fix it so i had to start over and i was pisseddddd,lol

--------------------
Need some useful utilities to use with your video game, music, or graphics? Here ya go
Having issue's with making Event's? Calling Videos in game? Cutscenes? Various Event's? Visit My Event Tutorials. Their All Video's i Made Myself.
Check out my music KamaKaze
And my brothers music, which I engineer most of myself Drastikk

+Quote Post

Akod
post Oct 4 2012, 05:27 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

QUOTE (KamaKazeR @ Oct 3 2012, 07:17 PM) *
I had put 8 months of work into one game I was working on awhile back and one i day i went to open rpg maker vx and it said the game cannot be loaded and i looked all online and no one knew how to fix it so i had to start over and i was pisseddddd,lol

You ever try this?

--------------------

Having issues eventing something? Feel free to send me a message and I will see what I can do!

I Support
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

KamaKazeR
post Oct 4 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #15

The Machete King
Group Icon

Type: Musician
Alignment: Neutral Good

QUOTE (Akod @ Oct 4 2012, 01:27 AM) *
You ever try this?

I tried that :/ but hopefully it doesn't happen again, cause now I keep 6 back ups,lol

--------------------
Need some useful utilities to use with your video game, music, or graphics? Here ya go
Having issue's with making Event's? Calling Videos in game? Cutscenes? Various Event's? Visit My Event Tutorials. Their All Video's i Made Myself.
Check out my music KamaKaze
And my brothers music, which I engineer most of myself Drastikk

+Quote Post

dither
post Oct 4 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Alignment: Lawful Good

When I was 15, I once came back from a LAN party only for my HD to turn to slag that day. Lost years worth of music, pictures, project files, utility software, and various configurations.

Several years later, it nearly happened again with another computer. It was starting to get old and what happened was just a boot error. I was angry, and then I got over it, and about an hour later everything seemed to work again. I backed everything up and started looking for a new computer.

On my most recent RM project, I had a similar configuration error (as mentioned in above post) cause me to lose a couple hours worth of work. Not because I couldn't get around the configuration problem (made a new project, copied things over), but as a result of a few seconds of panic that caused me to *not* copy over some files into the right folder. A couple files were overwritten with blanks ... and that was all it took.

Generally speaking, I back up what I can and try to be at peace with starting over when catastrophe strikes. I have lost and been forced to start over many, many projects in my time, and it's only been in the last few years that I've started to find new uses for old project data, so I can move forward with things it turned out weren't quite all-dead. smile.gif

It's a rough life when you're a creative-type.

--------------------
Rumors of War webcomic, gaming/game design blog, video series
http://norvendae.com/

Designing with Math and Spreadsheets
[-General-] Combat and Character Advancement
States, Elements, and Critical Hits
[-General-] For Massive Damage

Desiderata, Chapter One
one hour~ gameplay demo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 12:47 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.