iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> ATTENTION!

Do not post questions about Ace in this section. Any and all Ace related support should be posted in the Ace section found here.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Evolving village?, can you give me an idea on how to make one?
janorre
post Apr 13 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Designer

Can you give me an idea on how to make one? It's basically like you own an empty village and your job is to recruit villagers there, some specific villagers if recruited would open shops etc. or if you recruited enough villagers, they would open a town square or similar to that. the map style is similar to digimon word in the ps1,basically a bunch of ruined houses on a single map and when a villager would join one of the houses would be fixed.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

robbieagray
post Apr 13 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #2

I am not insane... YET!!! :D
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Events and variebles are probably you best beat.

You use events and conditional branches to add people/shops to your town. In order for the town square thing to work you would need to make that whenever you gain a person in your town it increases a varieble by +1. There is more to it then that but I am not on my home computer right now.

My recommendation is try to look up how to event and use variebles in your RPG maker program if you don't already know. If that doesn't help then perhaps I can make a future tutorial (for the tutorial section of this forum) or something like that. laugh.gif

I hope I was somewhat helpful. smile.gif

If anyone has anything else they would like to add go ahead and do so. laugh.gif

--------------------
If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

Projects I am currently working on:
-The demo is out now!

-Link to my Youtube Channel: HERE! (Please Subscribe)
I support the following:
Spoiler:

Contest Badges:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Pryde
post Apr 14 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #3

Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation.
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

To expand on Robbie, to see houses "fixed" and content gradually added to the village, i.e. the town square and such, you would probably be wanting to create a seperate map for each.

In other words, "town 1" is all broken down with nobody there. "Town 2" when you start to recruit people, "Town 3" as more houses get fixed, "Town 4...5...6..." etc. Then simply plug your variables into the Transfer Player event so they go to the correct map at the correct level of development.

--------------------
OmniMech Bumper Sticker: Some Assembly Required

+Quote Post

Armageddon97
post Apr 14 2012, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Alignment: Neutral Good

Or you could use switches so that you can make sure that those certain people open that certain shop. 'cause if you have named characters and you make it so that you don't have to get them in a certain order, then variables wouldn't work because it would put a random person in there, not necessarily the one you saved. You could use variables, however, I prefer to use switches because you can be more specific about events. For example, say you can rescue John and Mary in any order you want, with variables you could rescue Mary first, but because of the way the variables are set, john would open up the shop, not Mary. f you use switches, you activate a switch called "Rescued Mary" and then it will make Mary open up a shop when that is activated using new event pages or conditional branches. And when you rescue John it'll activate one called "Rescued John" and then john would open up a shop. Variables don't let you control which one opens a shop because they just keep count of the population. Variables are easier, but switches are more accurate. (And I know you said recruited, not rescued, but I put rescued in here 'cause I felt like it. You could name the switch anything you want.)

+Quote Post

robbieagray
post Apr 15 2012, 06:14 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

lol laugh.gif now that we have talked it over a bunch I really want to make a game that uses this idea. However considering how the current game I am working on is a thriller game it would probably be wise to wait for when I finish. laugh.gif

But yeah, in order to make the town do the stuff you want you should use switches, variables and conditional branches.

Here is an idea: When you add a new character to the town make it so that he activates the following:
switch: (Character Name Here(In this example his name is BOB cool.gif )) recruited!
variable: Citizen (have this as a variable) +1

Now do what Pryde said and make a conditional branch that when ever the player enters into the town if the Citizen (varieble) is equal to a curtain number (like 5-13) that it transfers the player to a different version of the town.

Then for the shops make a "blank" parallel event that responds to the switch in the conditional branch. This makes so if you player recruited Bob cool.gif that he (along with his shop) will show up in the town. However it also makes it so if the player didn't recruit Bob that he won't show up in the town until he does recruit Bob.

...Ouch my head hurts! blink.gif Can I go to bed now?

--------------------
If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

-The demo is out now!

I support the following:
Spoiler:

Contest Badges:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

janorre
post Apr 15 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

thanks for all the idea XD I have alot of mapping to do happy.gif lol very complicated but I think i understand....

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pryde
post Apr 17 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #7

Chancellor of the Capellan Confederation.
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sonics Mate @ May 11 2009, 07:07 AM)
so too be able too build a house I have got a solid grid of events (over 200 i think)

Dactrius's reply:
Have you actually tried to test what you've done so far?

Only reason I ask is because the VX help file suggests you don't use over 100 events per map. By my reckoning, your map there is gonna lag like a beeyotch. Is it really that important?

Also, unless every single tile can be different to every single other tile in the house, then variables are the way to go by an absolute mile. For example a table might take up 4 tiles which can work using just 1 variable. And a whole wall could take up many tiles and again be toggled using one variable. If the house isn't massive, then I reckon you'd need no more than 40 or 50 variables rather than your 800 self switches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was one helluva necropost, but you'll be glad they did. I never even thought about using the building tiles for your evolving village as Events rather then Objects. (Bad Pryde! No cookie~!) Basically, by linking the tiles used to "build" the houses and such as events connected to the same variables/conditional branches used to populate your village, you could eliminate all those extra maps! Or, at the very least, seriously reduce the number needed. Once you get used to it, it should be pretty easy.

--------------------
OmniMech Bumper Sticker: Some Assembly Required

+Quote Post

robbieagray
post May 4 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Sorry this might be a necropost but it is to offer you an idea.

So what is it that motivates the player (of your game) to build up and evolve this village (besides that being the whole point of the game)? Sure the growing village is a reward but some players (like me) want more then just being known as the founders of a grand village (or city). We want to feel empowered after all the is for the most part why people play games in the first place (they feel like they are in control of the world you put them in). So I came up with the idea that perhaps you could have so that whenever the village is expanded upon (via the recruitment of villagers, shops, etc...) the player recieves "resource points" (via variebles), which can be used for the purchase (from curtain vendors) of special items that can only be purchased in game via these points (or by an extremely large amount gold, being more expansive if purchase without the use of resource points). laugh.gif

Example:
1) player recruits blacksmith for village (+1 resource point added)
2) player goes to vendor and wants to purchase an item (mace of extreme awesomeness in this example).
a)Mace of Extreme Awesomeness cost 150,000 gold but only 3 Resource points
3) player earns all 3 resource points (events that use varieble; resource points +=1 for each event)
4) player still doesn't have enough gold but since he has enough resource points he is able to purchase the mace from the vendor (all resource points spent are subtracted from resource point total).

It would be pretty easy to make. the only other thing I would recommend is the use of a gauge so the player knows how many resource points they have (this might require a scripts sad.gif )

so what do you think of this idea? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by robbieagray: May 4 2012, 07:12 PM

--------------------

-The demo is out now!

I support the following:
Spoiler:

Contest Badges:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Anaxim
post May 5 2012, 06:37 AM
Post #9

Captain Paradox Extreme
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

I'd like to add my 2 cents about the town thing, particularly on how the visual aspect meshes with variables and switches:

Despite the mention of switches being easier to use, they'd make the "transport to correct map" part an entire new level of headache. You'd need maps and checks for all possible recruitment orders and combinations. That is to say that if you recruited only one guy, in the far left corner first, only his house needs to be fixed when you enter the map next. If you fixed far right corner second, only those two. And obviously the reverse is true about far right first and far left second.
Another aspect is that even with variables, it would take considerable design, but on the front of customizing the map right.

Here's my take:
Have a separate map for each house added and be done with that part. Then limit yourself to no more than 3 variables per house by the end product - shop sign, and 2 personal customizations for the resident. IMO, working around this framework is best if you want a _map_.
There is the alternative route, however - produce a tour-guide map of sorts. Instead of actually walking, you simply point at a location and teleport into that house. This way you can parallax or simply cut out a house design, have a single map store sub maps and have better management using less event clutter.
I'm not feeling particularly sharp enough to write out the entire process of the tour-guide map, but feel free to discuss this with me over PMs if this is still relevant.

--------------------
"Lightning is like a troll; You don't know what hit you till you smell it."

I will only say a single thing about my acquisition of RPG Maker VX: "Yarr."

+Quote Post

Aya_Vectra
post May 6 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #10

star ocean otaku
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

A little off topic, but it reminds me of Soul Blazer and Terranigma. smile.gif If you haven't played those, I reccomend it. Terranigma is more of an RPG (Soul Blazer is more action / sidescroller).

This sounds like an interesting concept, one I'm using for a few towns in my game, but not all. smile.gif I'm using parallax mapping, which seems easier for this kind of thing (that way you can just change the image rather than the map).

--------------------

+Quote Post

robbieagray
post May 9 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

when I have the time I need to remember to make a tutorial for this... laugh.gif

--------------------

-The demo is out now!

I support the following:
Spoiler:

Contest Badges:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 09:34 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.