iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> ATTENTION!

Do not post questions about Ace in this section. Any and all Ace related support should be posted in the Ace section found here.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> A status effect that allows the user access to new skills.
Risusen
post Apr 13 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

I am working on an overdrive that grants the user a type of status that increases their stats for two turns. In addition, I am trying to make it where if the status is active, the user is granted three new skills in addition to the ones the character already has and forgets how to use this "Buff" overdrive. When the status is NOT active however, the skills are forgotten and the "Buff" is relearned.

What I have done is make a common event with a conditional branch, saying if my character is inflicted with this status, then Skill A, B, and C are learned and "Buff" is forgotten. I also have the "set handling when conditions do not apply" checked and under "else", I have that Skill A, B, and C are forgotten and "Buff" is relearned.

During my testing, I would use the overdrive and have my character learn the skills and forget the "Buff" overdrive, like how I set up my common event. However my problem is that after the two turns have passed and the "Buff" deactivates, my character does not forget the three skills and does not relearn the "Buff" overdrive like what I set up under "else".

My question is that am I doing this incorrectly? I thought that I understood that anything I place within the "else" branch would mean that if the "Buff" is not afflicted on my character, then he would forget the three skills and have my character relearn the "Buff".

Edit: I have removed skill C, so as of right now, there is this the skill named Susano'o, which places the user under the Susano'o state, Yumi no Susano'o, and Totsuka.

Susano'o = Susano'o (places the user in a state of the same name)
Yumi no Susano'o = Skill A
Totsuka = Skill B

This post has been edited by Risusen: Apr 14 2012, 07:10 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Xios
post Apr 13 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Spoiler:

QUOTE (Risusen @ Apr 13 2012, 12:48 PM) *
I am working on an overdrive that grants the user a type of status that increases their stats for two turns. In addition, I am trying to make it where if the status is active, the user is granted three new skills in addition to the ones the character already has and forgets how to use this "Buff" overdrive. When the status is NOT active however, the skills are forgotten and the "Buff" is relearned.

What I have done is make a common event with a conditional branch, saying if my character is inflicted with this status, then Skill A, B, and C are learned and "Buff" is forgotten. I also have the "set handling when conditions do not apply" checked and under "else", I have that Skill A, B, and C are forgotten and "Buff" is relearned.

During my testing, I would use the overdrive and have my character learn the skills and forget the "Buff" overdrive, like how I set up my common event. However my problem is that after the two turns have passed and the "Buff" deactivates, my character does not forget the three skills and does not relearn the "Buff" overdrive like what I set up under "else".

My question is that am I doing this incorrectly? I thought that I understood that anything I place within the "else" branch would mean that if the "Buff" is not afflicted on my character, then he would forget the three skills and have my character relearn the "Buff".

That should work. Strange.

Try making the buff activate a switch, then make an event (with Switch On as a condition) that applies the effects. Then when the buff isn't active, have it deactivate the switch. That should cancel the effects of the status.

-Neo says-
As I get what you were trying to get at, since your the first reply, really no point in quoteing the whole first post, even if your further down, just pick a piece.

This post has been edited by neosky: Apr 14 2012, 05:38 PM

+Quote Post

Risusen
post Apr 14 2012, 02:15 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Xios @ Apr 13 2012, 08:12 PM) *
That should work. Strange.

Try making the buff activate a switch, then make an event (with Switch On as a condition) that applies the effects. Then when the buff isn't active, have it deactivate the switch. That should cancel the effects of the status.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Unless I did it incorrectly, it still does not seem to work.

I also tried adding the feature removing the skills after the switch was turned off, but that too failed.

This post has been edited by Risusen: Apr 14 2012, 07:51 AM

+Quote Post

Onkei69
post Apr 14 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

I guess the problem does not come from the common event setting.
In facts, I'm not sure that common event run in parallel process when in battle.
Maybe you should try have a look at your troop event setting: try with trigger set as "at the end of the turn", and call your common event".

--------------------
Projects I support:
Spoiler:

My project (dropped):

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Risusen
post Apr 14 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Well, this is what I have set up, but it still doesn't work.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Onkei69
post Apr 14 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Maybe you should correct your Susano'o common event:

@> conditional branch: when state applied:
---@> change skills (skill set A: +A -B -C)
- : else
---@> change skills (skill set B: -A +B +C)
-: Branch end

--------------------
Projects I support:
Spoiler:

My project (dropped):

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Risusen
post Apr 14 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

I tried that before earlier too, but it didn't work. Let me do that again and see what happens.

EDIT1: Wait, I think what you listed is the opposite of my intended effect.
The first of the conditional branch is supposed to represent that if my character has the status, then he will forget the Susano'o skill (so you can't use it over and over again while it's active) which places you under the Susano'o state, and by in the Susano'o state, he will additionally learn the other two moves, Yumi no Susano'o and Totsuka. So then I'm assuming that the second part of the branch is supposed to say if he is not inflicted by the status, then he will not have (or forget) the two moves granted by the Susano'o state and relearn the Susano'o skill so he can actually use it again rather than having it disappear for life.

EDIT2: It still doesn't work for me either way I set it anyway.

This post has been edited by Risusen: Apr 14 2012, 06:41 PM

+Quote Post

Onkei69
post Apr 14 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but anyway, the idea is still there: you switch between two skill sets.
I've just found that when setting at "end of the turn", it would have no effect on the starting turn.
You can actually make 2 different pages calling the common event in troops, one triggered at end of turns and the other set as "at turn 0" (which is the first turn).
I really wonder if there are other ways to make it with events, since this is not gonna be convenient since you're gonna have plenty of different troops.

This post has been edited by Onkei69: Apr 14 2012, 06:52 PM

--------------------
Projects I support:
Spoiler:

My project (dropped):

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Risusen
post Apr 14 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Do you mind if I upload my project file? Maybe I have some conflicts that I have not recognized or never noticed.

Edit: I tried placing the same thing on a second page with it activating on turn 0 as well, and it still doesn't work out.

This post has been edited by Risusen: Apr 14 2012, 07:07 PM

+Quote Post

Xios
post Apr 14 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Risusen @ Apr 14 2012, 02:01 PM) *
Do you mind if I upload my project file? Maybe I have some conflicts that I have not recognized or never noticed.

Edit: I tried placing the same thing on a second page with it activating on turn 0 as well, and it still doesn't work out.

If you like, you could upload the file and I could take a look.

+Quote Post

Risusen
post Apr 14 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

http://www.mediafire.com/?ekg6aiqmo54on0u

Here it is. Don't mind the strange database though x-x

Edit: Yumi no Susano'o's animation won't work correctly, so if I did something incorrectly with the noting or scripting, feel free to share.

This post has been edited by Risusen: Apr 14 2012, 10:48 PM

+Quote Post

Risusen
post Apr 17 2012, 02:55 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Bumping this thread.

+Quote Post

Xios
post Apr 17 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

So after exhausting all sorts of possibilities and being on the verge of telling you to give up, I made it work by changing the Troop event's span to "Turn". You had it set to "Battle". The simple fixes always elude me...(I once ragequit a game for half a year because "the boss is weak to ordinary magic" never occurred to me XD)

For future reference: "Battle" means the event runs once per battle. "Moment" seems to be "run this event nonstop" and when I tested it for this event, it locked up the game. "Turn" will run it per turn, which is what you need here.

This post has been edited by Xios: Apr 17 2012, 08:09 PM

+Quote Post

Risusen
post Apr 17 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Wow! Thanks a lot xD

It never occurred to me that something like that in the troop settings caused the malfunction. My main problem is definitely solved.

+Quote Post

Xios
post Apr 17 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (Risusen @ Apr 17 2012, 05:49 PM) *
Wow! Thanks a lot xD

It never occurred to me that something like that in the troop settings caused the malfunction. My main problem is definitely solved.

No problem.

I cannot tell you how much I facepalmed upon realizing how simple it was. xD

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 08:07 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.