iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

> ATTENTION!

Do not post questions about Ace in this section. Any and all Ace related support should be posted in the Ace section found here.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Can't figure out how to do this.
Xios
post Apr 15 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

I need a character to carry an object as part of a puzzle. The carried object should be held in front of him whichever way he's facing. I can't figure out how to make it do that. I tried a lot of convoluted screwing around with switches, variables, etcetera. Can't make it work.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Virus 9
post Apr 15 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #2

Evil is a virus that spreads!
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Try Sprite of him caring a object...You need to give a better detail...sorry.

--------------------
EVIL RULES OVER ALL!
Spoiler:
After a great deal of a vote, I have been chosen to remain evil by the members of the forum! Now prepare for the 2nd stage of my plot!

I Support
Spoiler:

CODE
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/ftklqq.png[/img]

Building
Spoiler:

Read if New or Beginner!
Spoiler:
Are you new to RPG Maker VX or the Forum? I will help you with some simple guides to understanding.
  1. If you are new to the forum then make your introduction known to the community. Also if you are leaving us we would like to hear you there.
  2. If you have experience something wrong with this Community Forum that is not working right you can contact the staff by visiting the Feedback and Support.
  3. People like us are willing to help anyone who is having any problems with RPG Maker VX Program down here in the Support / Help Forum. We do provide some provided answers in here to read.Or you can contact RPG_Lover or Akod for help through PM.
  4. Need some new images/audios for your game? We provide a wide range for your game development needs in our Resource Showcase. We also provide if you can not find what you need a request for something.
  5. If it's scripts you need. We can help you find what functions you want to add to your games in our Complete RGSS2 Scripts! As well we provide a request if you got something else in mind you need.
  6. Got a game developed and ready to show? You can provide any Completed Games or Under Developed Games with us to get a result from the community.
  7. Now you can also relax in our Off-Discussion of RPG Maker VX.

We do have a small support for RPG Maker VX ACE here. I recommend if your starting to use RPG Maker VX to go and fix your Game_Interpreter. Make sure to follow the Community Rules and you will be OK on your way.

+Quote Post

Xios
post Apr 15 2012, 04:35 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (RPG_Lover @ Apr 14 2012, 08:10 PM) *
Try Sprite of him caring a object...You need to give a better detail...sorry.

Not much detail to give. When he 'picks up' the object (it's an event with a barrel graphic, the pickup is triggered by the action button), I need it to change its location as needed so it will be in front of him wherever he faces. A sprite carrying it won't work for the puzzle I'm trying to do, it has to remain a separate object in the world. So whichever direction he faces while holding it, its location needs to change to occupy the tile in front of him. Picture "v" and "^" as the character, with the point being his face. The "o" is the barrel.

>o

o<

o
^

v
o

This post has been edited by Xios: Apr 15 2012, 04:37 AM

+Quote Post

Mustaklaki
post Apr 15 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Unaligned

Make the action button to pick up the barrel activate a switch. Then have the switch turn on a whole plethora of events on every tile on the floor (that switch being their requirements). When the player touches the tiles (Same as character. Check "Through"[so player can walk through]) a barrel will spawn on the event you're facing (Since it's leverage is same as character, and it's on player touch) and have it spawn an image of a barrel (Event image thingaloo). Make a new event page, and have that event page be Below Player and Player touch. Have the image a nothing. So, when a character literally steps ON the tile, the image of the barrel will turn off, and the tile in front of him will show an image, etc. etc.

The second event page also needs the same switch requirement as the first page.

I mean it's a really ghetto way to do it but it would probably work. I've never done it before, I'm just using my knowledge of how things work. Maybe I should try it, that would be cool.

Make sure to copy and paste every barrel event though to save on tons of time. Using a minimum amount of tiles would be faster too.

Thing is, your sprite won't be carrying a barrel, it will just appear in front of him every time.

This post has been edited by Mustaklaki: Apr 15 2012, 02:32 PM

--------------------

My epic game. Put this in your siggy if you support it! It's demo was just heavily updated, check it out!
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=54628"][img]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/moepippy/ISupport.png[/img][/url]

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

ShinGamix
post Apr 15 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #5

...now loading...
Group Icon

@Mustaklaki Any way you would make a demo of that?

--------------------
The Maker of Battle Dungeons!!

+Quote Post

Mustaklaki
post Apr 15 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Scrap that idea, I tried it.

I'll try making a demo for it if I can figure it out

--------------------

My epic game. Put this in your siggy if you support it! It's demo was just heavily updated, check it out!
CODE
[url="http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=54628"][img]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/moepippy/ISupport.png[/img][/url]

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Mustaklaki
post Apr 15 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Here's your demo

Be warned though, there are a ton of restrictions, that might just make the developer look sloppy or lazy. I listed them all in a autorun event

Demo

--------------------

CODE

Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Xios
post Apr 17 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Mustaklaki @ Apr 15 2012, 11:01 AM) *
Here's your demo

Be warned though, there are a ton of restrictions, that might just make the developer look sloppy or lazy. I listed them all in a autorun event

Demo

Thanks for the help. Didn't work well at all but it got me to the train of thought I needed to figure it out. laugh.gif Turns out it was simpler than everything I was trying. What I ended up doing was this:

- Create two variables for the player's coordinates (one for X coordinate, one for Y).

- Create four conditional branches ("if [direction] is pressed"] for the four directions available to the player. Note: The first branch is run by default, the other three are run by the "Else" branch of the previous condition.

- For each condition, have the event re-check the variables (resulting in constant updating of the player's coordinates) then add or subtract 1 from the necessary coordinate. ("Up" subtracts from Y, "Left" subtracts from X, etcetera).

- Set the event location to the new coordinates.

- Check the "Through" box, otherwise the event object will remain solid and block the player's movement.

- Set the event to "Parallel Process"; This is just for convenience in the demo. For the actual project, I'll probably be setting it up to function via buttons and switches.

It still needs a bit of refining but the basic need is met. There's a tiny delay between the player moving and the event relocating that I would rather not have but it's no big issue. Anyway, here's the result:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21572178/BarrelTiles.exe

Oh, and you can disregard the old guy NPC. I was testing some other things. Something I noticed messing with events for the old guy is the "if [x] button is being pressed" condition doesn't seem to work. Even if you hold the necessary button down, it will only run the commands in the "Else" branch.

This post has been edited by Xios: Apr 17 2012, 06:11 AM

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:43 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.