iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Notes for Complete Game Threads

This forum is for completed RPG Maker VX games. Please do not post threads about games being made in other engines here.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phalath, Reboot of The Adventures of Phalath. Final version 1.3 released
Confederacy
post Oct 12 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Hello, my sweet lil' honey bee.
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

*TOPIC UPDATED AS OF 11/21/10
*OUTDATED INFO*:Before I start on the story, I want to make something very clear. This is a action game living in a RPG game. What I mean by that is there is hardly any RPG elements in the game. And I know, "why not implant the Action Battle Script into it?" It didn't cross my mind until half way into the game and I also feel like the graphics in the game don't fit with ABS. If I do make a sequel or whatever, it'll have the ABS in it. However, graphically the game will be different. Also, since there is hardly any RPG elements, there will only be a small amount of weapons, armor, and items. This game is also not meant anything epic. Its just a game I'm making for fun and something people can enjoy during their spare time. As such, if people do give scores, I'm not expecting anything higher than a 7.

About the Reboot: When I first started working on the game, I had envisioned it as a mini-Legend of Zelda style game. However, at the time I struggled with the Action Battle System by Vlad and ultimately ditched that combat system. Now after spending a lot of time and a couple of other projects with the Action Battle System, I have finally decide to reboot both The Adventures of Phalath and possibly the series altogether (thus ignoring anything that has to do with it's sequel).

Story
Since the beginning of time in the world of Ctath, the Humans and Ekil: A race of demonic humans; have waged war with each other. The war continued on for almost 200 years with no end in sight. However, a traitor of the humans named Orsham allied himself with the Goblins in an effort to take down both sides in their weakened states. After attacked, the humans and Ekil quickly signed a truce and fought back against Orsham and his army. Like the previous war, there was no end in sight. Until the Ekil devised a plan which would require all their magic. They sent Orsham into another dimension and locking him in for the rest of eternity. The king of the Alliance took notice and fearing one day the Ekil may do the same to them, sent an attack and killing most of the Ekil and imprisoning some of the Lieutenants. Life eventually moved on and both the remaining Ekil and Alliance forgot about the imprisoned Lieutenants and moved on with their lives. However, darkness is returning...

Characters
-In the game your only playing as one character-

Phalath
Race: Ekil
The protagonist of the game. One of the Lieutenants of the Ekil army and also helped lock Orsham away. Not much is known about his history, except for the fact he devoted his life to the Ekil army.

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Scripts
Vampyr SBABS version 9 by Vlad
KGC_CustomMenuCommand by KGC and Mr. Anonymous
Lite Menu by Woratana
Thomas Edison VX by bulletxt
Credits by Dr.?

Reboot Downloads
Phalath Final Version 1.3

OLD Downloads
The Adventures of Phalath V1.5

The Adventures of Phalath: Restoration V2.0

Enjoy!

This post has been edited by Confederacy: Feb 21 2011, 03:29 AM

--------------------

Games (they have links! Click them!): Coming soon with *truly* remarkable games!
Oh oh oh, can I contribute to this conversation!?
I have an opinion about a game.

You're an idiot!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fated
post Oct 12 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

You should open up your game with the story that you posted here, because someone who was just going to download the game without reading your post would have absolutely no idea what is going on since there's barely any story in the game itself. Even adventure games tell stories you know.

Positives:
-----------
+ Your Cave and Snow Forest maps are pretty well done, I think you made good use of what the RTP provides, I loved how windy and twisty both areas were, it gave me the impression that I was actually in a large dungeon.

+ Your musical selection goes really well with your game, all of the areas and the battles sound very appropriate and I don't think you could have done any better, great job.

+ Your main character has an interesting concept, most games don't put you into the place of a "452" year old demon.

+ I like that you made use of custom sprites for your important characters instead of just throwing in the same old RTP characters.

+ The pacing of chest placement for acquiring recovery items in relation to encounters is very good, I'm quite pleased with the amount of Potions that were available from chests.

Negatives:
-------------
- The battles drag on a lot, especially at level 1, it took me 4 hits to kill off each Skeleton and occasionally you throw 2 at the player, that's 8 rounds of the same old physical attack exchange between both parties. Thankfully it did get better when I gained a level, but for the majority of what I played, it was pretty bad, Mountain Goblins are even worse, taking 6 hits each. It got to the point where I just avoided all of the monsters as they move so slow and there's really no point in fighting them anyway since you can complete the demo at level 1.

- I don't know why you disabled dashing, I can understand if the monster sprites were faster moving and you disabled dashing so that they could catch the player and force more battles, but they move so irregularly and slow that it wouldn't matter if I could dash or not. Turning off the dash feature seemed like a way to make your demo seem longer then it is.

- I'm not sure if Phalath gains a skill at level 3+ or not, but if not, I don't get why the "Water" item exists in the first place, IMO, you should give Phalath some sort of special skill from the start of the game to make the battles more interesting.

- I'm aware that there won't be a lot of equipment and item types in the game since you're trying to simulate an adventure, but then why not make what IS in the game more interesting? Why is the recovery item called a "Potion"? Make it something unique since there's only one type. On that same note, make Phalath's equipment more interesting and descriptive.

- And for my personal pet peeve: "Your" =/= "You're"

---------------------------------------------------------------

Your project has a lot of potential, I'll say that right now, I really think you should convert it to an ABS because it would be wicked, it may seem like I'm being overly negative, but I believe it's better to tell you what I think is wrong so you can decide for yourself whether you agree or not and fix what you want to fix.

For the record, the demo took me 18 minutes to beat, I skipped most of the encounters because they were pointless and I could have skipped more if I wanted to. If you're going to put all of those enemies in, I think you should make some kind of optional boss to justify our time put in to level up.

Overall: 7/10

--------------------
Support:

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Oct 13 2008, 02:27 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

First of all, thank you for testing my game out and giving me feedback on it. Now I'll address some of your issues.

QUOTE (Fated @ Oct 12 2008, 01:38 PM) *
- The battles drag on a lot, especially at level 1, it took me 4 hits to kill off each Skeleton and occasionally you throw 2 at the player, that's 8 rounds of the same old physical attack exchange between both parties. Thankfully it did get better when I gained a level, but for the majority of what I played, it was pretty bad, Mountain Goblins are even worse, taking 6 hits each. It got to the point where I just avoided all of the monsters as they move so slow and there's really no point in fighting them anyway since you can complete the demo at level 1.

Thanks for the feedback on it, I'm lowering the HP on the enemies so battles will be faster.

- I don't know why you disabled dashing, I can understand if the monster sprites were faster moving and you disabled dashing so that they could catch the player and force more battles, but they move so irregularly and slow that it wouldn't matter if I could dash or not. Turning off the dash feature seemed like a way to make your demo seem longer then it is.

Dashing was disabled from the start of the game. However, I'm inclined of putting dashing back in and making the speed for enemies faster.

- I'm not sure if Phalath gains a skill at level 3+ or not, but if not, I don't get why the "Water" item exists in the first place, IMO, you should give Phalath some sort of special skill from the start of the game to make the battles more interesting.

At level 3 Phalath does indeed gain a skill. But I'll lower the skill to Level 2.

- I'm aware that there won't be a lot of equipment and item types in the game since you're trying to simulate an adventure, but then why not make what IS in the game more interesting? Why is the recovery item called a "Potion"? Make it something unique since there's only one type. On that same note, make Phalath's equipment more interesting and descriptive.

The items as of right now are "placeholders" and will be changed in the final release. The equipment will be receive the same and will have a better description.

I really think you should convert it to an ABS because it would be wicked

The game is already 50% completed. Also, I'd like to graphically change the aesthetics of the game before working with ABS.

--------------------

Games (they have links! Click them!): Coming soon with *truly* remarkable games!

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Nov 24 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Update Bump

Here's Part 1 of The Adventures of Phalath. It features some minor changes, making sure battles should be faster. In addition there is an extra weapon to be found and a couple of new maps. It features only areas in the demo, however this was released while Part 2 is being worked on. Enjoy.

--------------------

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

OverlordVulcan
post Nov 25 2008, 04:41 AM
Post #5

"Nothing burns hotter than my own fury!"
Group Icon

How come it game over'd when I touched the portal?

Also, maybe it's a bug or intentional...

When I enter the red spot, I just appear back.

--------------------
Online Fanarts Protection - I realised it stopped updating, but I deem it a good cause to promote

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Nov 25 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (jcys810 @ Nov 24 2008, 11:59 PM) *
How come it game over'd when I touched the portal?

Because that's the end of Part 1.

When I enter the red spot, I just appear back.

Thank you for noticing the issue. The game has been patched. Just copy and paste everything over to the folder, and it should work like a charm.

--------------------

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

OverlordVulcan
post Nov 28 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Sorry for my late reply.

I'm right now downloading the update. :3

--------------------
Online Fanarts Protection - I realised it stopped updating, but I deem it a good cause to promote

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Nov 29 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Post your impressions on it when finished. smile.gif

--------------------

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

OverlordVulcan
post Nov 30 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Another thing. Seeing how I saved my game inside the shelter place...

I can't get out.

No transfer event?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Nov 30 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Ultimately that was purposely done since the player was about to get complete the section. But I'll add in the transfer event when Part 2 is finished (which is near that goal).

--------------------

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

OverlordVulcan
post Dec 1 2008, 03:16 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Oh.

So I can't get back and explore that part I missed?

Oh yeah, the first time you uploaded the demo, there was this save file in a forest by you. ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Dec 1 2008, 03:24 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Yeah, it has been added in, so you can explore the part you missed. That little save at first was a mistake (heh, silly me rushing to upload it), so in some ways, I guess you could say, "Hey! A present for us!"

Also the game is near completion with the game expecting to be finished and released: TOMORROW! Not to mention I have decided to continue the Phalath universe, since I think in my opinion I have created something interesting that deserves to be explored a little more. smile.gif

--------------------

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

OverlordVulcan
post Dec 1 2008, 03:38 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

A shame that it seems only me and Eated seems to be your only players.

And I think I'll wait for the final version then start a new game.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Dec 1 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

AND.......it's done! Head towards the Downloads section and you can download the full version of The Adventures of Phalath! Whomever downloads it, I hope you enjoy it.

Also, any mods that view this, DO NOT put this in the Completed Projects forum! As I am currently at work on the Expansion pack which will conclude this chapter.

--------------------

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

Enelvon
post Dec 1 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #15

The Lost One
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Neutral Evil

While I will not move this as of yet due to your request, think about it. An *expansion* pack? That means that it's a complete game, no? So it *should* go into the Completed Games board. If you agree, just say the word and I'll move it. If you still wish it to remain here, either respond negatively or not at all. Whatever you want! ^_^b

-Enelvon

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Dec 2 2008, 01:51 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Actually, you know what? I'd like to get to work on some of my other projects, so go ahead and put this in the completed games section.

--------------------

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

Enelvon
post Dec 2 2008, 02:02 AM
Post #17

The Lost One
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Neutral Evil

All right. Moved. ^_^b

+Quote Post

OverlordVulcan
post Dec 2 2008, 04:01 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Hey, you mispelled Adventures in your userbar. D:

Edit
Not sure if I should still make bug reports but well...

Some of the chests say that I get a Potion, but I think I'm getting Healing Scrolls instead

Edit
You can dash in this map but not in other maps.

Is it because it lacks snow or a bug?

Because if it's because it lacks snow, the other part with the imp earlier on in the game does not allow dashing I think.

Edit
Another map with dashing enabled!

Edit
MOAR DASH

I like dashing so much <3

Edit
Wait what? It just ends like that?

I don't actually get to fight Orsham? T_T

This post has been edited by jcys810: Dec 2 2008, 08:27 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Confederacy
post Dec 2 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Thanks for noticing the mis-spelt word in my userbar.

The dashing problems are fixed and will be present in the next patch.

I forgot when changing the names of the items, the Chests didn't tag along with that concept. That'll be fixed.

And whoops. I knew I was forgetting something. Don't worry, I'll add in the finale. I had to many plans for an expansion, and completely forgot about that. I'll be adding in the final part which should take at least an hour or two to make. Thank you for noticing the errors.

EDIT: Version 1.5 is up. Fixing all bugs that were in and adding in the finale.

This post has been edited by Confederacy: Dec 3 2008, 12:37 AM

--------------------

You're an idiot!

+Quote Post

OverlordVulcan
post Dec 3 2008, 01:19 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Downloading now. ;D

And added your userbar to my supported projects too.

I don't get why you have so few playing your game though. I enjoyed the game quite alot.

And I may be wrong, but you don't seem to have explained the differences between the Ekils and humans.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 11:29 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.