iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Poll] What is your ideal main character?
Your Ideal Lead Characters!
What gender is your ideal main character?
Male [ 14 ] ** [35.00%]
Female [ 5 ] ** [12.50%]
Hmm...usually it doesn't matter to me. [ 21 ] ** [52.50%]
I like the main character [Female]'s character to be:
Innocent. It doesn't matter if she can't do anything, it's cute! [ 1 ] ** [2.50%]
Innocent, but not useless! I like the kind-hearted aspect, but I can't stand those clutz characters who always trip when they run! [ 12 ] ** [30.00%]
Looks innocent, but is actually very clever. It's a mask! [ 8 ] ** [20.00%]
Looks innocent, but is actually very much not. She's secretly a badie. [ 4 ] ** [10.00%]
Self-Reliant. She's like a super woman! She doesn't need anyone's help! [ 2 ] ** [5.00%]
Self-Reliant, proud, but with a soft side. She discovers she needs people, but still kicks butt. [ 13 ] ** [32.50%]
I like the main character [Male]'s personality to be:
Very Serious. >:( [ 2 ] ** [5.00%]
Serious with a soft side. (Did I see you smile, mister?) [ 4 ] ** [10.00%]
Serious at first, but then lightens up gradually. [ 11 ] ** [27.50%]
Very Funny. Like, he could be a clown or something! [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Funny and light-hearted all the way, but knows when to be serious. [ 16 ] ** [40.00%]
Sarcastic, self centered, but somehow gets the job done. [ 5 ] ** [12.50%]
Lazy. Just lazy. The fact that he's in a story in the first place is a real drag to him. [ 2 ] ** [5.00%]
Total Votes: 46
You have already voted in this poll 
Sketcy-Sketch
post Dec 14 2012, 03:45 AM
Post #1

♫ I'm a lazy writer ♫
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for your time.

Every once in a while I like to do research and give polls asking people what sort of elements they
like in a story, game, etc, in order to help me write a story that people enjoy reading (the true joy
of any writer).

So, if you don't mind, I would greatly appreciate it if you could fill out my quick poll [above] to tell
me about the sort of main characters you like / dislike. If you like, you can elaborate below in the
comments.

Thanks so much for your time! I really appreciate it!

♥ Guests can vote, too! Everyone can! ♥

♫ Cookies for everyone who votes! ♫

--------------------

Look, it's a miracle!! I've announced my game project!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Johnny0798
post Dec 14 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #2

If you're reading THIS, you're not reading THIS.
Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Neutral Good

For me, I like when male characters look serious at the beginning of the game, but drastically change at the ending. It's good to see that the story had some kind of impact on them, instead of just looking the same through the entire game.

For female, I choose innocent, but not useless. I like delicate girls, who are always laughing or happy, except for the times when they need to be serious, but not those useless crybabies whose only purpose is to serve as another target for enemies.

I choose male as the ideal main character just because my game's main character is male! tongue.gif

P.S.: You owe me a cookie!

This post has been edited by Johnny0798: Dec 14 2012, 06:32 PM

--------------------
My Works:

I have to make another support bar for my VX project, but while there isn't one, come here.
My script, Improved Window_Status. I should make a bar for it too!

- Join Deb, Mace, Akod, Johnny and Sketcy in the quest to uncover the secrets of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth!

I support:

- I ORDER you to play this!

Open the spoiler if you're new to the forum:
Spoiler:
Before everything, read the Forum's Rules.

Make an introduction of yourself here! Don't be shy! We don't bite! At least, I don't!

If you have problems with Switches, Variables or anything else related to events, take a look at Aindra's RPG Maker VX School, the best tutorial ever! Download the Practice Events to test your eventing skills!

Post projects made in RPG Maker VX here! Read the Rules and Guidelines before posting! Projects on any other program come here. Be sure to play other people's games too.

Check out our resources here! Request resources here. Make sure you read this and this before requesting!

Have any troubles using VX? Ask for help here! Read this, this and this before asking for help.

Get scripts for your game here! Don't say "Your script gives me an error saying "superclass mismatch"! What do I do?". If this happens, you're using VX Ace, and there's no other way around this than requesting it to be converted to RGSS3 here.

Request scripts for VX, and ONLY VX, here! If you have trouble using a script, ask for help here.

If you're working too much on your projects, take a rest here and here!

Do you use RPG Maker VX Ace Lite? Come to the brand-new Ace Lite section found here! I just don't know why is there a scripting section inside it, as Ace Lite has no scripting support, from what I've heard.

Well, I think that's all. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, like I am!

+Quote Post

Sketcy-Sketch
post Dec 14 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #3

♫ I'm a lazy writer ♫
Group Icon

P.S.: You owe me a cookie!

Thanks so much! I love your feedback! Here's your cookie: biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Johnny0798
post Dec 14 2012, 11:31 PM
Post #4

If you're reading THIS, you're not reading THIS.
Group Icon

You're welcome!

I admit I was tempted to vote for the first option for female characters and the fifth for male...

That cookie was delicious!

--------------------
My Works:

I have to make another support bar for my VX project, but while there isn't one, come here.
My script, Improved Window_Status. I should make a bar for it too!

- Join Deb, Mace, Akod, Johnny and Sketcy in the quest to uncover the secrets of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth!

I support:

- I ORDER you to play this!

Open the spoiler if you're new to the forum:
Spoiler:
Before everything, read the Forum's Rules.

Make an introduction of yourself here! Don't be shy! We don't bite! At least, I don't!

If you have problems with Switches, Variables or anything else related to events, take a look at Aindra's RPG Maker VX School, the best tutorial ever! Download the Practice Events to test your eventing skills!

Post projects made in RPG Maker VX here! Read the Rules and Guidelines before posting! Projects on any other program come here. Be sure to play other people's games too.

Check out our resources here! Request resources here. Make sure you read this and this before requesting!

Have any troubles using VX? Ask for help here! Read this, this and this before asking for help.

Get scripts for your game here! Don't say "Your script gives me an error saying "superclass mismatch"! What do I do?". If this happens, you're using VX Ace, and there's no other way around this than requesting it to be converted to RGSS3 here.

Request scripts for VX, and ONLY VX, here! If you have trouble using a script, ask for help here.

If you're working too much on your projects, take a rest here and here!

Do you use RPG Maker VX Ace Lite? Come to the brand-new Ace Lite section found here! I just don't know why is there a scripting section inside it, as Ace Lite has no scripting support, from what I've heard.

Well, I think that's all. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, like I am!

+Quote Post

Virus 9
post Dec 15 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #5

Evil is a virus that spreads!
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

I have been writing stories for a long time now...About 8 years now and I have always been interesting in mixing things up a bit.

I wrote different kinds of stories relating more to the Fantasy and Mystery type but there is a set common I do. Anyways for the Main Character Gender...

Male - My believe is people rely to much on the Male as the Main Character allot. I am not going against it or I would go against my own gender but it is not interesting when it is a Male all the time. They do make a appearance to the people as the leader but I like it when the Male make it appear he is hiding some sort of secret because the mystery builds up in it. Like in my story of Knight's Quest (Main Character though is a Girl but there is a Guy who is like a Main Character. He is a Dark and Mysterious type who makes himself appear as "I hate everything")

Female - When people add the Female Gender to do the work of the hero it gives it a bit of intrest and also the people are happy to see a female gender is actually being used now. It would gain a lot more attention when a Female is in action and I say a Female Character should have something about them that make them appear as a Hero. Like a Archery (In my book the girl is a Sword Wielder...Although almost everyone is...) It also makes it great because if you have a man as a bad guy you can make them shocked and fall in love with the hero (But the hero not fall in love with the villain...That's not in my story though...The villain in my story wants to kill the girl at all cost.)

It is great to add some quality of parts into the story. These are the most common people find intreast in stories.
  1. Romance (Mostly the Girls)
  2. Comedy
  3. Action / Adventure
  4. Mystery
  5. Drama
  6. A bit of Life
  7. Fantasy (How sad it's at the bottom)

Don't ask where I got the list. It was taken down a long time ago but there was a vote to help me decide what Stories to work on. I kept it around and I do not know if the list would change but everyone like their own things. There where a few other things added but they didn't get much votes in the end result that they where not worth much mentioning. But it is great to have the Main Character follow a few of these things.

I gave what I got on my end. I hope to see any stories you may have. I still got to work on finishing my Knight's Quest book so that I can have people read it. My best work I have done so far and the longest.

Anyways
*Head to where all your cookies are and destroy every last crumb*

It is fun destroying cookies.

--------------------
EVIL RULES OVER ALL!
Spoiler:
After a great deal of a vote, I have been chosen to remain evil by the members of the forum! Now prepare for the 2nd stage of my plot!

I Support
Spoiler:

CODE
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/ftklqq.png[/img]

Building
Spoiler:

Read if New or Beginner!
Spoiler:
Are you new to RPG Maker VX or the Forum? I will help you with some simple guides to understanding.
  1. If you are new to the forum then make your introduction known to the community. Also if you are leaving us we would like to hear you there.
  2. If you have experience something wrong with this Community Forum that is not working right you can contact the staff by visiting the Feedback and Support.
  3. People like us are willing to help anyone who is having any problems with RPG Maker VX Program down here in the Support / Help Forum. We do provide some provided answers in here to read.Or you can contact RPG_Lover or Akod for help through PM.
  4. Need some new images/audios for your game? We provide a wide range for your game development needs in our Resource Showcase. We also provide if you can not find what you need a request for something.
  5. If it's scripts you need. We can help you find what functions you want to add to your games in our Complete RGSS2 Scripts! As well we provide a request if you got something else in mind you need.
  6. Got a game developed and ready to show? You can provide any Completed Games or Under Developed Games with us to get a result from the community.
  7. Now you can also relax in our Off-Discussion of RPG Maker VX.

We do have a small support for RPG Maker VX ACE here. I recommend if your starting to use RPG Maker VX to go and fix your Game_Interpreter. Make sure to follow the Community Rules and you will be OK on your way.

+Quote Post

Sketcy-Sketch
post Dec 16 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #6

♫ I'm a lazy writer ♫
Group Icon

Lol. I wanted to make more questions about themes, but the poll only let
me post three questions at a time. If I were to make a list, I think the elements
that every story should have are....

Hmm....

[1-10, 1 being the most important and 10 being good but least important]:

1. Comedy (even if there is drama, I like to laugh most of all! Best thing ever! ♥ )
2. Action / Adventure
3. Slice of Life
4. Drama (I like a variety of emotions in one piece. Makes it seem more real.)
5. Mystery
6. Fantasy / Sci-fi
7. Romance (I like a sweet hint of it, but not as the main theme. Like icing on a cake, but not the cake. Too much icing gives you cavities.) happy.gif

Of course, it's different for everyone. That's just my personal preference. biggrin.gif

*Head to where all your cookies are and destroy every last crumb*

It is fun destroying cookies.

The cookies! You "eated" them! That's okay. I'll just make more! Haha laugh.gif

...actually...now I really have a craving to make real cookies... unsure.gif
*Goes to fridge to see if there are ingredients. Younger siblings cheer*

--------------------

+Quote Post

apoc
post Jan 13 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #7

My return is apporaching...
Group Icon

Type: Designer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

This is a really interesting poll ( Note that apoc is not in the resource request forum, the world is ending !! )
No . . I do tend to wonder to other part's of the site occasionally dry.gif . . . like once every 2 years o.o (seriously)

Anyway back on topic biggrin.gif

Im sure no one is going to read this anyway
Spoiler:

No really its a big post!
Spoiler:

As far as Gender in my story goes,:
I always tend to go with both genders. Either a male as a main then a female companion joins later, or they both start off together. People generally read/watch/play stories they can relate too, it's why I can imagine that most guys generally want to stick with there male gender (this counts for me as well). But having a female as well as male, gives a story openings ( romance for example ), unless of course you want 2 of the same gender blink.gif which im not here to judge , so whatever works is fine tongue.gif.

But if I had to pick a either a male or female character . .

Male:
definitelyweak. why you ask? cause the typical ( Im already the best ) lead doesn't always generate enough spark ( what I call brainstorming period ) to create a good enough story. When I write, I always tend to write from the perpsective of the reader. As much as I love having the famous hero emerge to kick @$$ scene. Having a good build up from weak to strong, generates a sense of realism in my eyes. As can see the character develop from a readers perspective, it draws me into the story more and gives me something to write about later for added twist's.

Non cowardice. In the face of danger, not everone would stand strong. Sometimes overconfidence can lead to overexpecatations in a character. But having a character who is always timid and powerless can make it hard to devolp a story. And not everone can relate to the no name characters suddenly overcoming his weakness in a matter of trails. So I general try to stay away from watching characters who show a lack commitment. But having a show of fear now and then can show that a character has a heart, and is able to become even stronger as the story develops and it fits with the previous tag.

Female:
As much as I love imagingine myself with large breast, skimpy armor, and a lack of differnce. blink.gif I find it hard to relate to females cause im not a female myself. So I generally like seeing these characters as support/co-heroine in the stories. ( And speaking as a male myself ) Men generally find attractiveness to the weak yet self dependable women unsure.gif , I never understood why myself, but there is a certain charisma about it.

Non sex appeal? Yes o.o. A major turn away for me is how women are depicted in media, ( espically games ). Hardcore, bumpalicious, overly attractive women. ( Not that im complaining ) but lets be honest. Yes I agree, that no one wants to look at a ugly character, ( male or female ) but 9 times out of 10, characters that are portrayed normallly will already look good. Adding extra sex appeal can derive from the realness, and in my opinion kill the overall feel of a character. Im too focused on thinking what she shouldn't be wearing (clothes) blink.gif to care about what she is saying.... but thats just me, I dont know if anyone else feels the same. tongue.gif

I have been writing stories for a long time now...About 8 years now

Wow, your only under me. tongue.gif But I wish I still write as much, now im just more explorative

--------------------

+Quote Post

robbieagray
post Jan 13 2013, 11:44 PM
Post #8

I am not insane... YET!!! :D
Group Icon

Type: Spriter
Alignment: Lawful Evil

For male characters I like the character that at first is serious (usually due to a terrible tragedy in his past) but he gradually lightens up after meeting a younger more innocent character that reminds him of the bright side of things.

For female characters I think it is awesome when you think she is innocent and then a few seconds later you learn she has a mischievous side (I am going to... kill you).

So that is what I think. laugh.gif

--------------------
If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

Projects I am currently working on:
-The demo is out now!

-Link to my Youtube Channel: HERE! (Please Subscribe)
I support the following:
Spoiler:

Contest Badges:
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Sketcy-Sketch
post Jan 14 2013, 08:57 AM
Post #9

♫ I'm a lazy writer ♫
Group Icon

Thanks so much for all of your comments! They are very helpful!
*Brings in more cookies*

@robbieagray:
For female characters I think it is awesome when you think she is innocent and then a few seconds later you learn she has a mischievous side (I am going to... kill you).

Those character are always funny! I always like the humorous shock factor to characters. laugh.gif

Like when your favorite character goes from looking like this:
Spoiler:

To this:
Spoiler:

And you're left thinking "Wait...What did I just see?"

@apoc:
A major turn away for me is how women are depicted in media, ( espically games ). Hardcore, bumpalicious, overly attractive women.

lol. Thank goodness someone agrees. Thanks so much for the detailed post!
I read it all. I really appreciate it. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Croix Bartel
post Jan 14 2013, 12:30 PM
Post #10

Eventer, Amateur mapper, newbie scripter.
Group Icon

Gender doesn't matter to me.

For Woman(Yes, I said woman, not girls), I like her to be like a tsundere. It's kinda cute to find out the woman's feeling when what she said is totally different. That's why I choose "Self-Reliant, proud, but with a soft side. She discovers she needs people, but still kicks butt." Totally like Cloche(From Ar Tonelico 2).

For the male, I like the one that likes to tease people, laugh at people, but kind-hearted, and knows what to do in the battlefield. Optimistic. And go-all-out type. He will do every thing(in the correct ways, means he's not evil) to achieve his goal. Even it's means gamble his life.

--------------------
We must appreciate what this world allows us to have.

I support:
Spoiler:

My game:

Visit my Vault of Mighty Poems: Bartel/Satyaloka Early Modern Poems

+Quote Post

apoc
post Jan 16 2013, 02:49 AM
Post #11

My return is apporaching...
Group Icon

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

You know, I often wonder how fun it would be to make new genders all together unsure.gif ( and in a more serious content, I mean like a new race, one that doesnt require a gender, cyborgs work fine too ) biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

guitfoxofdam
post Jan 23 2013, 07:13 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Ummm.. Jesus

--------------------
Mini Coach Hire Birmingham specializes in travel and tours.

+Quote Post

baroqueobama
post Jan 23 2013, 08:35 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

I just voted.

Mood: Very serious.

I make hard core games. They have depth, nuance, and deep emotions, so I can't have any moe squishy-wizard girls running around with magic wands and worrying about breaking a nail. Hard core gamers want a badass man with a bigass sword!

For female character personalities, I like cute and innocent. I know that this sounds like a paradox, but let me explain. In the beginning, the manly, manly, man starts out with a cute girlfriend in an idyllic peasant village, living a normal life. He becomes serious when monsters invade and start destroying the village and killing everyone they know.
He escapes with her, and tries to get her out of the village, but on the way to the nearest safe village, she dies as soon as the players have recovered from the shock of seeing the starting village destroyed.
When he reaches the next village, it is too late, and it has also been destroyed. It is usually here that he is informed of the Ultimate Evil behind the monster attacks, and vows to slay Ultimate Evil, avenging the pleasant life he would never be able to return to.
He must wander through some other destroyed villages to lengthen the game as necessary, killing all the minions of Ultimate Evil, and liberating what's left of the ruined places.
At the end of the game, he confronts Ultimate Evil, killing the architect of the horrors that befell the world. Then, freed form Ultimate Evil's grasp, his wife's soul congratulates him for ending the suffering, but then he says to her with a gravely voice and a twitch in his eye: "after all the horrors I've witnessed, ending suffering for everyone else wouldn't fair, now would it?"
And then he takes the throne of Ultimate Evil, and commands his new minions to reign atrocities on the villagers as they never have before, ruling the world with an iron fist for all eternity.

By the way, I'll sue ANYONE who would even THINK of stealing this game idea. I could get so many intellectual properties out of this gold-mine story structure, it's not even funny.

Ok, Sketcy-sketch, I voded, now do I get my cookie?

+Quote Post

West Mains
post Feb 23 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Well, gender doesn't matter to me so much.

As for their personality, that's an interesting thought to me. I like my character's to be dynamic, and for them to change over time. For example, a comic-relief/joker character who experieces a tragic event and slowly hardens over the course of the story until they become a complete serious seldom-smiling kinda person.

Even if the change is much less radical than that, I still like to go from one point and then see where it goes based on the character's experiences, so I suppose picking any one option would be pointless for me!

--------------------
Current project:
Spoiler:

Addenda:
Fantasy RPG, first project used to get familiarised with the RPGMaker system. Hoping to have it up to at least 40 hours worth of gameplay. Huge, open world, thick plot, and many sidequests and characters along the way.
I keep a blog that periodically posts updates and tidbits of info on the game: http://westmainsdevelopment.blogspot.co.uk/

Estimated Phase Release Dates: (These are subject to change)
Pre-Alpha Demo: March 10th
Alpha Demo: October
Beta Demo: December
Release Candidate: January, 2014
Final Release: Q2 2014.

+Quote Post

Omegas7
post Feb 24 2013, 01:34 AM
Post #15

stai sprecando il tuo tempo
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

The ideal main character for me depends on the rest of the game.

The gender, the personality, the look... it all depends - there is no such thing as "ideal settings" out of the box.

Basically: Any option is the best, as long as it goes well with the rest of your game, which triggers a different question: what's the context of your game? If I understand the background of your game, I could offer specific choices. But so far, I can't vote on anything since I don't know about the environment this character is going to interact with.

--------------------
Chooo Chooo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 02:27 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.