iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

> Note for Tutorial Threads

New threads (tutorials) here will go into a moderation queue. You will not see your thread appear when you create it. A moderator will decide if it will be approved or denied.

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beginner's Guide to RPG Maker VX
Rating 5 V
BenKo
post Dec 10 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Hi, I'm writing a tutorial aimed for newbies at RPG Maker VX. Since it's quite long and contains tons of snapshots, I'll be releasing it in PDF format, instead of text in a forum thread.

You can watch the tutorial online and also download a PDF copy from here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8795237/Beginner...PG-Maker-VX-v04

Current content is:
  • Introduction
  • Game development
  • Legend of Gladius (sample project)
  • Creating maps
  • Basic events
  • NPC's and dialogs
  • Game elements
  • Enemies and battles
  • Story

It's a work in progress version, though! Any suggestions and comments are kindly welcome. Also, since English is not my native language, I would ask you to help me to fix any grammar or ortography errors. Some people already volunteer at the IRC channel, but since there are a lot of pages, it''s better to split work among several people.

I hope you find this useful!

Sneaky Penta Edit: There's an expanded version of this guide available, written by Kelpser.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

clone1018
post Dec 11 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

You did this all by yourself... WOW Great Job...

--------------------

+Quote Post

natalie2k8
post Dec 15 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

This is a really good tutorial, it explains everything clearly. Good work smile.gif I would have been lost without this tutorial

+Quote Post

Silver-X
post Dec 15 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Thank you, havent read through it all, but will definitly help me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

BenKo
post Dec 16 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Please, if anyone who has read it has any suggestion or thinks something important is missing, tell me! Help me to write a better tutorial smile.gif

+Quote Post

Degenerated
post Dec 26 2008, 05:18 AM
Post #6

Happy New Year :D
Group Icon

Type: Writer

Great job! I myself have moved from XP to VX, and I was looking for a beginner's guide to VX like this one. smile.gif

--------------------
Currently working on an unnamed project. GG no imagination for names.
My Youtube: http://youtube.com/Cloud98
GaiaOnline: http://gaiaonline.com/p/Degenerated

+Quote Post

Zeltan
post Dec 30 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

yeah - very nice tut imo.

But i missed some things out if you can add or reply here.
Lets say you wanna make an event of you talk to an NPC, the npc wants you to find an item / relic / food.
Anything basically. You make the event with the npc, and you make another event with the item she/he needs.
But how do you actually get the item as " you have recieved -bla- " and it vanishes from the map itself?

I started using this program 2 days ago. and i love it. im just to much of a newbie tongue.gif

So if anyone knows, please aid me.

Thanks in advance Zeltan

+Quote Post

dranakos
post Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Type: Artist

QUOTE (Zeltan @ Dec 30 2008, 04:29 PM) *
yeah - very nice tut imo.

But i missed some things out if you can add or reply here.
Lets say you wanna make an event of you talk to an NPC, the npc wants you to find an item / relic / food.
Anything basically. You make the event with the npc, and you make another event with the item she/he needs.
But how do you actually get the item as " you have recieved -bla- " and it vanishes from the map itself?

I started using this program 2 days ago. and i love it. im just to much of a newbie tongue.gif

So if anyone knows, please aid me.

Thanks in advance Zeltan

It's really easy Zeltan.

You create the two Lets say.. a person. and an object... You make them as events make sure that it says action button on the dropdown menu in the bottom left of the event window. anyways... In the objects event window. You make a show text which says "You've aquired (item)" just to inform the player that he/she got an item. Then After that you make a change item command which you tell to "add 1". after that you make a move command, Make sure that you set the dropdown menu in the upper left corner to the right event so that the item dissappears. after that you create a "control variable" command on the objects event you need and make the variable "set" to "constant" "1". Then you stop that event and go to the guy who wanted to get the item. create another event page "create new event page" button in the top of the persons event window. Go to event page "2" and click the variable thing on the left side of the screen. Put the right variable in and set the "higher than" thing to 1... Should work all round.. this is pretty roughed up. So I would recommend a variable tutorial. smile.gif

anyways.. I love this tutorial that BenKo made.. really thought through and very explaining.. What I think could be better is, that the tutorial has some elements which really goes through the variable and what you actually can do with it. smile.gif I really learned much from this!

This post has been edited by dranakos: Dec 30 2008, 03:46 PM

+Quote Post

Zeltan
post Dec 30 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (dranakos @ Dec 30 2008, 05:02 PM) *
It's really easy Zeltan.

You create the two Lets say.. a person. and an object... You make them as events make sure that it says action button on the dropdown menu in the bottom left of the event window. anyways... In the objects event window. You make a show text which says "You've aquired (item)" just to inform the player that he/she got an item. Then After that you make a change item command which you tell to "add 1". after that you make a move command, Make sure that you set the dropdown menu in the upper left corner to the right event so that the item dissappears. after that you create a "control variable" command on the objects event you need and make the variable "set" to "constant" "1". Then you stop that event and go to the guy who wanted to get the item. create another event page "create new event page" button in the top of the persons event window. Go to event page "2" and click the variable thing on the left side of the screen. Put the right variable in and set the "higher than" thing to 1... Should work all round.. this is pretty roughed up. So I would recommend a variable tutorial. smile.gif

anyways.. I love this tutorial that BenKo made.. really thought through and very explaining.. What I think could be better is, that the tutorial has some elements which really goes through the variable and what you actually can do with it. smile.gif I really learned much from this!

Thanks for the quick reply.
Would it be possible for you to do some screens of like what to do?
Some of the things written simply messed my head up =/

+Quote Post

dranakos
post Dec 30 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zeltan @ Dec 30 2008, 06:41 PM) *
Thanks for the quick reply.
Would it be possible for you to do some screens of like what to do?
Some of the things written simply messed my head up =/

I never actually found out where my screenshots are saved to... But if I find out I will make a tutorial about it smile.gif

+Quote Post

Zeltan
post Dec 30 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (dranakos @ Dec 30 2008, 08:41 PM) *
I never actually found out where my screenshots are saved to... But if I find out I will make a tutorial about it smile.gif

thanks dranakos. until then i will look around and try my self there.
but i got another question now biggrin.gif hehe

it has to do with dialogues.
lets say you talk to an npc, just saying " hi " you reply " hi " after that the dialogue has ended. but when you speak with the same npc i want a second dialogue to apear. how do i do that? =)

i know im full of questions, but as i normaly say, if you dont ask you wont get to learn biggrin.gif

thanks in advance.

//zeltan rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Zeltan: Dec 31 2008, 09:01 AM

+Quote Post

MSVHazard
post Jan 3 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

I applaud you, sir.

--------------------

Games completed:
Dargaard Episode 1: Mystery of Tushka Island
Dargaard Episode 2: Legend of The Dargaard
Games currently in development:
None
Games currently in pre-development:
Untitled Dargaard Remake
Games on hold
None
Random things I have made:
Event Battle System

+Quote Post

Hazelleaf
post Jan 5 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

I read the pdf version of your guide online, thank you soooo much! It was really helpful! And I joined this site because of it, too smile.gif

--------------------
~Hazelleaf of RiverClan~

+Quote Post

Alandar
post Jan 6 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (BenKo @ Dec 16 2008, 04:31 AM) *
Please, if anyone who has read it has any suggestion or thinks something important is missing, tell me! Help me to write a better tutorial smile.gif

This tutorial is great. One thing I would suggest is adding more depth to the mapping section. I'm not very good at mapping so a more in depth guide would be really helpful. Also is there a part two? I never got to finish the game.

--------------------

+Quote Post

MegaDethKlok
post Jan 6 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

I was gonna do this! Uh, eventually... Except mine wouldn't cover scripting... I haven't clicked the link yet, but I'm gonna assume you didn't write anything about scripting in there?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Yoshio
post Jan 7 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #16

Yoshio
Group Icon

Type: Writer
Alignment: Lawful Good

this was very helpful

it cleared up a few things I didn't really know how to do (I had no idea that choices were so easy to do in VX!)

I also forgot about the quick events and how to do them. the hint to make things animate with the stepping command was useful as well

If I found this thing when I first got VX it'd have saved me many hours of trial and error

This post has been edited by Yoshio: Jan 7 2009, 03:16 PM

--------------------
my current project:

you know you wanna touch my clickable pic, go ahead, it won't bite...hard.
----

+Quote Post

Aindra
post Jan 8 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #17

• Inactive
Group Icon

Alignment: Unaligned

Fantastic tutorial! I know it will help a lot people. happy.gif

It's an interesting idea, making up a mini-rpg so people can just follow along. It's a good way to learn fast. Nice work.

--------------------

Award & To-Do List & Status
Spoiler:

To-Do List
  1. Custom List & Pages 2.0 Version
    Contains few bugs that I don't quite know how to fix. Am taking time to study and figure how to fix them, so it takes time. (I'm still a rookie scripter.)
  2. Surprise Graphic Package #1
  3. Surprise Graphic Package #2

To Do List - At Lowest Priority
New version of RPG School Maker. I originally planned to make a new version back in July 2009 but it fell apart due to teammates disappearing. Maybe I'll take it up again when my knowledge of RGSS2 improves. I had to include this in here because I've been asked often for it.

+Quote Post

xVaizardx
post Jan 15 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

i dont know if this was just mine or if it was sopposed to end like that but the tutorial stops at the event with lime when u make her tell u to go get sword etc

--------------------

+Quote Post

BenKo
post Jan 16 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (xVaizardx @ Jan 15 2009, 06:55 PM) *
i dont know if this was just mine or if it was sopposed to end like that but the tutorial stops at the event with lime when u make her tell u to go get sword etc

This is a work in progress version, so it's not finished yet. I'm currently quite busy with college stuff, so the final version will have to wait a little bit.

Thanks everyone for your comments smile.gif

+Quote Post

xVaizardx
post Jan 16 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

haha thanks for the quick reply, was just incase i messed up and was missing rest of it haha
any advice on where to look to keep working on it?
thanks in advance smile.gif

(ive been working on the game from where the tutorial left off so let me know what u think so far also i need a little help, im trying to program lime so she walks into party like zach does id appreciate it if u could have a little look at it)

got problem solved with little help from friendly people on fourms smile.gif ill post finished version here when done haha

This post has been edited by xVaizardx: Jan 24 2009, 01:00 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  mini_RPG.rar ( 231.92K ) Number of downloads: 171

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 06:07 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.