iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

The 2nd Quarter Contest has arrived! Go check it out in the Community Announcements now!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reading and Editing Save File
Imaggens
post Jan 21 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed

Is it possible to open a save file to edit it?

Because I want to do an integration with a website developed in PHP, but, if I'm right, the script that manage the save files uses a "Marshal" class (I unsure about the name used by Ruby ^^), but I can't find this Marshal class in Script Editor.

I'm asking about this, because, opne with notepad (for example) it's possible to read some content, but not everything. So, if the file is a text/plain file I would like to edit, but, with another programming language.

That's all (for while)

And thank you Mr. Moderator tomove the topic wink.gif

This post has been edited by Imaggens: Jan 21 2009, 11:34 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

BigEd781
post Jan 23 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #2

No method: 'stupid_title' found for 'nil:NilClass`
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: Chaotic Good

The Marshal class is a ruby class that deals with object serialization. Only the exposed engine classes are in the editor. The engine serializes game objects into a portable data format and then reads them back in. Each serializable class defines the methods "marshal_load" and "marshal_dump" which define how that data is stored and read. I suggest you read up on object serialization, you can't just read the file like you were parsing text.

--------------------
My blog - It's awesome, I assure you
While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to. - Eric Raymond

---
My awards for being so awesome
Spoiler:

+Quote Post

Imaggens
post Jan 31 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Right. Is the save file a text/plain (MIME Type) file? Because, opening in a text editor (such the notepad) some parts are illegible.

My intention is create a way to read, change and save the file with PHP without lose any data.

+Quote Post

Moogle Warrior
post Jan 31 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Legendary Hero (Level 1)
Group Icon

From what I understand, save files in VX/XP are quite literally dumps of Ruby objects. "Marshal" is a built-in class part of the standard Ruby library, so something written in Ruby might be able to read them from outside RM.

Try experimenting with string dumps and such to see whats legible when read externally.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 12:19 AM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.