iPhone App Directory
RPG Maker VX

Gallery Members Search Calendar Help

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Collapse

>Announcement

Keep an eye out for the upcoming 3rd Quarter Contest!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Physical/Magical Ambiguity Fix, Allow user to manually set skills to be physical or magical.
Rating 5 V
Mithran
post Jan 22 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #1

Scripter
Group Icon

Type: Coder
Alignment: True Neutral

Physical/Magical Ambiguity Fix
by Mithran

Introduction
This script allows you to change an skill to be physical, magical, both, or neither with a simple note tag. By itself, it allows you to change change the properites inherently only usually settable by setting spirit f to 1 or greater (magical) or by checking physical attack box (physical)- see features. Skill Damage is NOT changed in any way by this script. You may be thinking, whats the use for this? I will use this script for future projects.

Features
- Allows skills to be set to physical, magical, neither, or both, taking on the inherent properties of each from RMVX defaults (see script)
- Independently allows you to turn off the following:
- non physical skills applying states at 0 damage
- physical skills using hit reducing states and target evasion
- magical skills being affected by 'silence' state

Screenshots
N/a

How to Use
Place it above main in the materials section list, and above all other custom scripts (but below default scripts). Instructions for use are in the script.

Demo
None at the moment.

Script
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

FAQ
q. This doen't seem very useful...
a. This script only removes the ambiguity from 'physical' or 'magical' and allows the user to define which are used for each skill. More specifically, it allows the scripter (me) to know 100% whether or not an attack is 'supposed to be' physical or magical, so I can use this for future scripts. Try it with my Skill Functions script. If nothing else, you can use it to ignore silence when spirit f is > 0.

Credit and Thanks
- Mithran

Author's Notes
Feedback is appreciated. Please let me know if there are any bugs.

Future Plans
For this script specifically, I have no future plans (pending possible bugfixes/minor additions). However, I plan to use this in many upcoming scripts because it adds an easy method to detect and change whether the creator wants a skill to be 'magical' or 'physical'.

This post has been edited by Mithran: Feb 17 2009, 05:00 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Azuaya
post Jan 22 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Random Wanderer
Group Icon

Nice work Mithran, love how you make scripts that got to do with the extra functionality of skills. Great work, love all your scripts, just makes game designing easier to add skills and etc.

+Quote Post

KentaAmon
post Jan 22 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #3

Übers Ende der Welt
Group Icon

Type: Designer

Nice script but is it also supposed to make it that when you use a skill thats physical instead of ur character "casting it" they will run up and strike?
(Example: I made a skill called Flame Sword and instead of my char running up and using it, he just casts it from far and it slashes from far)

--------------------
Ich schrei in die Nacht für Dich, lass mich nicht im Stich,
Spring nicht.
Die lichter fangen Dich nicht, sie betrügen Dich.
Spring nicht.
Erinner Dich, an Dich und mich.
Die Welt da unten zählt nicht,
Bitte spring nicht.

+Quote Post

Mr. Bubble
post Jan 23 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Type: Undisclosed
Alignment: Unaligned

Nice work on this, Mithran.

QUOTE (KentaAmon @ Jan 22 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Nice script but is it also supposed to make it that when you use a skill thats physical instead of ur character "casting it" they will run up and strike?
(Example: I made a skill called Flame Sword and instead of my char running up and using it, he just casts it from far and it slashes from far)

Mithran's script has nothing to do with Enu's Sideview script.

--------------------
I no longer support Tankentai.

+Quote Post

KentaAmon
post Jan 23 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #5

Übers Ende der Welt
Group Icon

Type: Designer

Oh ok Thank you for answering that =)

--------------------
Ich schrei in die Nacht für Dich, lass mich nicht im Stich,
Spring nicht.
Die lichter fangen Dich nicht, sie betrügen Dich.
Spring nicht.
Erinner Dich, an Dich und mich.
Die Welt da unten zählt nicht,
Bitte spring nicht.

+Quote Post

Mr. Bubble
post Feb 17 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Found a new bug. It's another F12 stack error.

Line 150 stack error. Line is "if self.note =~ Mithran::AmbiguityFix::ATTACKTYPE_TAG"

With this script installed, go into Battle Test and reset with F12 when the battle starts. After that, have any battler use a skill. Right when the damage should display in the message window, the stack error appears. This can be replicated in a clean demo with just the phys/mag script installed and nothing else.

Been wanting to report this since right after the forum went down. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mithran
post Feb 17 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #7

Scripter
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mr. Bubble @ Feb 16 2009, 05:55 PM) *
Found a new bug. It's another F12 stack error.

Line 150 stack error. Line is "if self.note =~ Mithran::AmbiguityFix::ATTACKTYPE_TAG"

With this script installed, go into Battle Test and reset with F12 when the battle starts. After that, have any battler use a skill. Right when the damage should display in the message window, the stack error appears. This can be replicated in a clean demo with just the phys/mag script installed and nothing else.

Been wanting to report this since right after the forum went down. rolleyes.gif

Aha, F12 reset, my old nemesis! Thanks for letting me know. I think I have the way to deal with it in the future, too.

Update

v 1.1
- Bugfix: Fixed a crashing error when using F12 to reset.
- Bugfix: Improved compatability with my other scripts.

Modified script is in original post.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mr. Bubble
post Feb 17 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Thanks for the quick fix once again. biggrin.gif

Now I know what $@ does although I'm not sure where it's calling the boolean. It's apparently in more scripts than I thought.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mithran
post Feb 17 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #9

Scripter
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mr. Bubble @ Feb 17 2009, 10:33 AM) *
Thanks for the quick fix once again. biggrin.gif

Now I know what $@ does although I'm not sure where it's calling the boolean. It's apparently in more scripts than I thought.

The 'if' statement in Ruby has implicit converstion from nearly everything. If you specify a case equality (if x == true), then you need an exact match. But, if you dont (if x) then it assumes true if whatever argument is not nil and not false. In this case, its just checking there is no backtrace data for the last exception. It seems the engine generates an exception when you press F12 to get it to restart. The methods it uses to resuce and rerun are not disclosed. I am certain that it reloads the code from the scripts file on every reset, but doesnt seem to completely discard the old code. For some reason, if I alias a method that is defined in the superclass but not explicitly defined in the subclass, the alias is applied AGAIN when it reads through the scripts file. When you go to use the aliased method, it now references itself, thus getting caught in an infiite loop, generating the stack level error. It seems to ONLY happen in the above described circumstance, my aliases for methods that are expliclity defined in the subclasses dont get applied again for whatever reason.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 01:24 PM

RPGMakerVX.net is an Privacy Policy, Legal.