Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Convert your game into a homebrew ap?
RPG Maker VX Community > RPG Maker VX > RPG Maker VX General Discussion
Hiro Harvest Wolf
Hey everyone I was wondering if it is all possible that there is a program "homebrew" that can convert your game into a DS or gba game? If it's not possible should we try making something like that?
The Almighty TikiShades
It would be difficult to convert it to GBA, and impossible to do a DS game. That requires two screens and touch ap.
Omegas7
I think there was a software already for such. Forgot about it.
But instead, why not simply making your GBA or DS custom game with a software
specially made for that instead trying to do it with the RM? There are a lot of programs.
bandito
I doubt it because believe it or not I don't think the Ds cant withstand a normal RM vx game because of memory limitations. I don't even think the PSP could withstand it...
Tarrund
You guys are right. The DS is definately a no no. Try the
GBA, though.
BigEd781
QUOTE (Tarrund @ Jun 22 2009, 07:48 PM) *
You guys are right. The DS is definately a no no. Try the
GBA, though.

You would have to emulate the Windows API in some way as the engine depends on it.
mawk
it wouldn't just be a straight conversion. forget about that. it'd need to be programmed from the start in a format compatible with the gba or the ds, and the sound and image files would need to be arranged and in a format such that the gba could use them.

if you wanna go down that route, you gotta know that unlike rm, making homebrew stuff isn't easy. you have to be really willing to put in time, and programming skill is a stone-cold necessity.
MASH_MX
Well I remember someone brought this up in the past and as I found out and so did a few others that doing that at this point in time is impossible since no such things exists. The psp how ever can run a virtual windows but you would need to code and make all this from scratch since it has not been done and nor will it be done.
1 word to put in your head, " IMPOSSIBLE!" . You can not convert nor run RMVX games on a DS or a PSP or even make them into GBA roms etc...
I have expirence in making GBA roms and other game files this is just not possible right now, I even have a more then basic understanding of programming and advanced computer skills. When I say no its "NO!". But you can try it will just end in failure tho. wink.gif
"Always take a chance even if you know its not possible." BNFury
RMVXmaster
Hmm interesting topic.
Anyway i'll give you guys the specs of the consoles so you see they cant handle RMVX Games.
DS:
CPU_1: 65.89MHz ARM9 CPU (CPU_1 and CPU_2 work together) (mainly for Video and Graphics)
CPU_2: 32.35MHz ARM7 CPU (mainly for sound)
Color: Capable of displaying 260,000 colors
Wireless: 802.11G/B
Memory: Unknown, guessing around 8MB
Obviously The DS can't handle it dry.gif so lets move on to the GBA.

GBA:
CPU_1: 16 MHz 32-bit RISC-CPU + 8-bit CISC-CPU laugh.gif
Color: Capable of displaying 32,000 colors
Memory: 32KB WRAM + 96KB VRAM + 256KB WRAM
We can guess the GBA cant handle it tongue.gif so now lets go to the PSP

PSP:
CPU_1: 333MHz MIPS-R40000i CPU ohmy.gif
Memory: 16MB RAM (Fat) 32MB (Slim) DRAM: 4MB (Both models)
Color: Capable of displaying 16.77 Million colors ohmy.gif
Media Type: Universal Media Disc (UMD) and Memory Stick Pro/Duo
Wireless: 802.11 B/G

So lets think which is most promising?
DS dry.gif No way its even going to get 5 FPS
================================
GBA tongue.gif Absolutely not!
PSP huh.gif Promising, possible 10-20 FPS

I'll let you guys think about it wink.gif
Jasonicus
Doesn't really matter, RMVXMaster, cause the PSP does not run Windows. VX needs it to run.
RMVXmaster
QUOTE (SexEd @ Jun 27 2009, 04:08 PM) *
Doesn't really matter, RMVXMaster, cause the PSP does not run Windows. VX needs it to run.

I was just saying if the psp could somehow emulate the Win32API it would run alot better than the other handhelds.
(I really need to work on my spelling i'm 20 something years old!)
(probably should of listened mor in english class.) laugh.gif
Just to say the PSP has been modded to a point to where it can boot Windows 98 and 95, pretty good for a little console.
bulletxt
The main reason this is impossible isn't because VX needs Windows. This can be "fixed" simply using a Compatibility Layer software. The main reason is instead, making an x86 binary run on another type of CPU. For example the DS uses an ARM cpu. Instructions of an x86 are completley different from an ARM cpu (and all the others). There are 2 solutions to this: get VX source code and change it so it runs nativeley on the cpu or do the "ugly" way, called emulation.
Since source code is not available, the only thing to do would be emulation. Emulation comes at a high expense. Emulating other type of cpu instructions means it will need a huge amount of cpu horse power. Just look at all emulators, even zsnes requires quite a modern x86 cpu to run games that run on a very slow cpu. This is because the cpus are different and emulation is cpu-expensive.

So to make it short, considering even the power of a ds/psp cpu, this request is totally impossible. It would be reasonable to emulate it on xbox 360 or PS3 due to their cpu power, however their cpu's are so different from x86 that it is unlikely someone will ever do it.
poisonshift
Want your RPGMakerVX games on a portable system? There is a way to do it, here is how.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy one of those 8inch screen Acer laptops. They're pocket size and very portable. You may want to invest in a wireless card however... and maybe a bulky controller you can use to play the game. Or we could just let the platform guys hack their games and we can stick to making our own... this is what separates us from them. The ability to build onto a fruitful platform (the PC). I'm not a Mac so I wouldn't know. WHAT'S WITH THE ONE MOUSE BUTTON THING?
Cyl
If want to play RMVX games in a different console other than the PC, you can just dive into emulation...
Create an app that will emulate RMVX games in phones, psps, gbas, ds, anywhere...
BigEd781
QUOTE (Cylindrical @ Jun 30 2009, 08:05 PM) *
If want to play RMVX games in a different console other than the PC, you can just dive into emulation...
Create an app that will emulate RMVX games in phones, psps, gbas, ds, anywhere...

Yup, and if you want to go to the moon, just build an elevator. Easy.
MASH_MX
QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jun 30 2009, 09:21 PM) *

Wow! lol biggrin.gif that was so funny. thanks for that BigEd, It was the highlight of my day.
As BigEd bluntly put it good luck with emulating the Windows required things to run RMVX games.
As I said before its next to impossible to do right now since we lack the technology and experience to do so.
But you could always jump or build and elevator to the moon like BigEd suggested. tongue.gif
BigEd781
Though bullet's point is even better. I suppose though that if you were worrying about emulating Windows you would have already solved the processor problem tongue.gif
Getdizzy
QUOTE (BigEd781 @ Jul 1 2009, 12:21 AM) *

...You made my day...
leeree
I always thought it'd be pretty neat to have your game as a homebrew app for the Wii, or something. What OS (forgive me if that's the wrong terminology) does the homebrew channel use anyway?
BigEd781
QUOTE (leeree @ Jul 7 2009, 11:16 AM) *
I always thought it'd be pretty neat to have your game as a homebrew app for the Wii, or something. What OS (forgive me if that's the wrong terminology) does the homebrew channel use anyway?

Yup, it would be 'neat'. I don't know what you mean by "what does the homebrew channel use", they write their programs to work on a specific platform. I don't think you are capable of pulling anything like this off, so I am closing this topic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.