Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pokémon Black and White!
RPG Maker VX Community > Non-RPG Maker > Video Gaming Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Elaynii

Discuss.

The new city environments look awesome, and it's great to see the 3D be a bit more developed. The battle system is looking really good; the shadows actually match the sprites instead of being just blobs... To be brutally honest though, I'm a Pokémon fan, but I can't say I'm entirely surprised at this; they obviously ran out of precious jewels to for their titles; however, I am loving the idea behind it. I believe it to be due to Zorua and Zoroark. However, I do believe they could've gotten a bit more creative, but, I'm still a bit interested in this game.

If you would like to keep track of this upcoming game, you can see the pre-release pictures and information on Serebii's Pokémon Black and White article.
Peva
Yeah I saw this. But if you know of any game footage or shots, can you post them?

But personally, I love the idea of black and white! On average the two are the most favored colors in north America.
Master Chris
Offsite Links to pictures:

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/pics.shtml
Elaynii
I placed a link in my first post, but, here you go:

Peva
wow...excessive much? I personally liked the setup of ruby/sapphire/emerald the most...
Snevil
Iv'e always wondered when the new generation would come out... does anyone know what the region is called?
Fannon
I hope they return to the Gen 1 and Gen 2 style pokemon. Zoroa and Zoark are not bad but I always thought of pokemon as something similar to exotic wild animals rather than giant killer mecha's.

I will still get it and most likely enjoy it even if I do not understand what half of the newcomers to the series are talking about when they mention IV and EV training or egg move breeding. It was so much simpler when your goal was to simply "catch em all"
Whipstickagostop
QUOTE (Fannon @ Apr 12 2010, 05:04 PM) *
I hope they return to the Gen 1 and Gen 2 style pokemon. Zoroa and Zoark are not bad but I always thought of pokemon as something similar to exotic wild animals rather than giant killer mecha's.

I will still get it and most likely enjoy it even if I do not understand what half of the newcomers to the series are talking about when they mention IV and EV training or egg move breeding. It was so much simpler when your goal was to simply "catch em all"

This. A thousand times this. I enjoyed Silver more than any pokemon game so far.
Retired-Pine
To be honest, I do not believe the Pokemon formula has ran out. They're likely keeping the same formula with some improvements. Specially in the graphics part.

Sinnoh was a great return to the known Pokemon Style compared to Hoenn. And the remakes of Jotho and Kanto in HGSS were just pure awesome. A nice way to say goodbye to the 2D styled graphics in Pokemon since Gen1 to Gen4.

Also, a reminder: Yellow, Blue, Red, Fire Red, Green Leaf are not jewels wink.gif
//Lymmet
Aah, a new gen. Seems interesting smile.gif
Will keep a track on this.
azyric
i miss the days before "natures"... since theyve been invented, ive started my game over like a million times just to get a brave mudkip :/
420joker
If you walk down the wrong alley can you get mugged?
Money on the North American version being labelled "Pokemon Dark Gray!"
Retired-Pine
I'd bet more on "Pokemon African American version"
420joker
^ That would be hilarious and kind of ironic, im looking forward to how they deal with this
Getdizzy
Well, I'm obviously going to play Pokemon KKK... I mean, Pokemon White version /Pyro tongue.gif
Kaptain J
Imma wait for Pokemon Grey wink.gif
Fannon
Most likely they will just call them something like Pokemon Opal and Obsydian, then refuse to comment.
RyouKachi
I remember playing a fan made game called Pokémon Black and White years ago
Ninjabait
Looks like 5th gen is a MJ tribute.

Jokes aside, I'm honestly interested in the new battle-screen style most of all. It's a refreshing change of pace, and the body shot back sprites (as opposed to the old bust-shot back sprites) are awesome for me as a spriter. The new angle and graphic style of the overworld, eh, not so much.

Competitively, I'm hoping for a metagame that's a bit more...wild, to say the least. Platinum OU has fallen into a predictable rut and I'm hoping that African American/Caucasian Version will bring something unpredictable (yet not broken) to stir things up. Oh, and Recover Vaporeon in some form. I totally want that.

Onto other things, there's a lot of fake protagonist art flying around the web, but the official designs haven't been announced. So don't get your excitement glands twisted...or something like that.

Speaking of the fanbase, I'm going to go out on a very thick limb and say that most of the responses from hard-core fans will be "This isn't GSC, so it sucks. I can say this without playing the games.". Now, for my bitching, I do not like this not being on 3DS, the new graphics style looks like it would fit best on there. No other complaints.

Also, April 15th is a date of significance according to the official website (it's in Japanese, but I can recognize dates), mayhaps some new info will be revealed on that day, I dunno.
Kaptain J
QUOTE (Ninjabait @ Apr 13 2010, 06:07 AM) *
I do not like this not being on 3DS, the new graphics style looks like it would fit best on there. No other complaints.

I agree. This needs to be on the 3DS. Although, it's possible that they'll decide to hold it off a few months, and release it on the 3DS...
Retired-Pine
Well I don't agree. And I also don't think "hardcore fans" will have that attitude. It just seems like you spend some time with really bad critics or guys who could never buy a new console ever since a GBC.

The graphics don't have anything to do with if should be in 3DS or not. My God, there's not even a 3DS launched yet. And I don't think they'd hold on, they're not THAT stupid to launch a game in a new console that not everyone will have, as opposed to the DS that everyone does have.
Kaptain J
QUOTE (PINEDAVX @ Apr 13 2010, 10:32 AM) *
Well I don't agree. And I also don't think "hardcore fans" will have that attitude. It just seems like you spend some time with really bad critics or guys who could never buy a new console ever since a GBC.

The graphics don't have anything to do with if should be in 3DS or not. My God, there's not even a 3DS launched yet. And I don't think they'd hold on, they're not THAT stupid to launch a game in a new console that not everyone will have, as opposed to the DS that everyone does have.

You're right, there. However, I'm only saying that a Pokemon game, in which they're trying to make more "3D," would make more since to be released later, when they can truly make a 3D experience. Besides, they just came out with HG and SS, so I don't see why they're already releasing a new one soon.

And I AM a hardcore fan. I am only thinking of how to make the 3D experience better. It's true that many of the people I hang out with criticize the newer games. But I, personally, prefer the those, and the strategy that comes with it.
Shiro
i doubt this one will be out soon, its a new place and they've showed 2 pokemon, so i bet theres going to be a ton more tongue.gif so id say around 2-3 years before this out o.o; especially in the US
killergeist7
Im waiting for the new legendaries... Arceus is god already, how they want to top THAT?
Shiro
hopefully there arent any new legendarys (imo) theres over 30 already. the term legendary is going to lose its meaning soon >_>
Retired-Pine
They base the increasing numbers of legendaries based on that each region will have its own myths. Which is perfectly understandable.

They can keep on doing legendaries, but they should stop doing it in a "this one created land, this one water, this one controls them OH but this one controls the other three" kind of way.
Kaptain J
They should go back to the roots, and have something more like Mewtwo, or something...
Retired-Pine
The thing is that, generation 3 and generation 4 (Hoenn and Sinnoh) have been focused in the origins of Pokemon and our world. Now that they've dealt with it I expect them to, yes, go a bit back into not-so-out of the world matters.
Kaptain J
Yeah. I guess they would have hit Pokemon like that eventually...
Getdizzy
The one thing, I will say about the newer games, is that there is Legendary inflation in each generation. Each generation has an INCREASING number of legendaries when compared to other generations (not the total number, but the number that are introduced each generation)>

Though I will honestly say, I have enjoyed every pokemon game released better than the one before it. The exception being Ruby/Sapphire pre-Fire Red/Leaf Green. Before the remakes of the originals, Ruby/Sapphire just felt a bit empty of the old favorites.
Kaptain J
QUOTE (Touchfuzzy @ Apr 13 2010, 12:52 PM) *
The one thing, I will say about the newer games, is that there is Legendary inflation in each generation. Each generation has an INCREASING number of legendaries when compared to other generations (not the total number, but the number that are introduced each generation)>

Though I will honestly say, I have enjoyed every pokemon game released better than the one before it. The exception being Ruby/Sapphire pre-Fire Red/Leaf Green. Before the remakes of the originals, Ruby/Sapphire just felt a bit empty of the old favorites.

I agree. R/S/E were a bit disappointing, when compared to the others. Albeit, I enjoyed playing it, anyway tongue.gif
Whipstickagostop
QUOTE (killergeist7 @ Apr 13 2010, 04:52 PM) *
Im waiting for the new legendaries... Arceus is god already, how they want to top THAT?

They don't need to make a legendary stronger than God. I dont see why legendaries should get stronger when moving from one gen to another.
Retired-Pine
QUOTE (Whipstickagostop @ Apr 13 2010, 02:08 PM) *
They don't need to make a legendary stronger than God. I dont see why legendaries should get stronger when moving from one gen to another.

I don't, either. But from Johto to Hoenn they did it and from Hoenn to Sinnoh they did it too.
Dark Lord Davik
I started by playing Sapphire and can honestly say that it was my favorite version, purely because I was unfamiliar with the 1st and 2nd gen of pokemon. However, once I played Leafgreen, I could see why 1st gen was the favorite of my friends. I am getting a bit fed up with how many new games are coming out -> How many more pokemon are there anyway??!
Shiro
QUOTE (PINEDAVX @ Apr 13 2010, 07:12 PM) *
I don't, either. But from Johto to Hoenn they did it and from Hoenn to Sinnoh they did it too.

its funny tho because the strongest was from the first gen, mew tongue.gif
Sevith
QUOTE (Kaptain J @ Apr 13 2010, 12:21 PM) *
You're right, there. However, I'm only saying that a Pokemon game, in which they're trying to make more "3D," would make more since to be released later, when they can truly make a 3D experience. Besides, they just came out with HG and SS, so I don't see why they're already releasing a new one soon.

And I AM a hardcore fan. I am only thinking of how to make the 3D experience better. It's true that many of the people I hang out with criticize the newer games. But I, personally, prefer the those, and the strategy that comes with it.

You do know that the 3D in 3DS isn't "better graphics," it's digital projection (think Avatar 3D), right? Which I personally find to be a terrible gimmick, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the environments... some of it looks good (the bridge for example), but some of it just looks... ugly. If all this 3D means less blocky movement, then I'm all for it though.

Oh, and on the topic of legendaries. Let's run down the list:
Pokemon that controls the land. (Groudon)
Pokemon that controls the sea. (Kyogre)
Pokemon that controls the skies. (Rayquaza)
Pokemon that controls nightmares. (Darkrai)
Pokemon that controls dreams. (Cresselia)
Pokemon that controls space. (Palkia)
Pokemon that controls time. (Dialga)
Pokemon that controls anti-matter. (Giratina)
Pokemon that control emotions. (The lake trio)
Pokemon that is God. (Acreus)

Ofcourse, there are a bunch more but the others aren't so.... ridiculous. I'm fine with these being in the Pokemon mythos, but the logistics of them actually being catchable is downright ludicrous.
Dark Lord Davik
its funny tho because the strongest was from the first gen, mew

Yeah, Mew is probably the strongest, because it can use "me first" and just throw enemy moves back at them. Awesome!
Kaptain J
QUOTE (Sevith @ Apr 13 2010, 01:51 PM) *
You do know that the 3D in 3DS isn't "better graphics," it's digital projection (think Avatar 3D), right? Which I personally find to be a terrible gimmick, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the environments... some of it looks good (the bridge for example), but some of it just looks... ugly. If all this 3D means less blocky movement, then I'm all for it though.

I didn't say "better graphics." I said "better 3D experience." That's what what the 3DS is for, no?
Getdizzy
QUOTE (Shiro @ Apr 13 2010, 02:46 PM) *
its funny tho because the strongest was from the first gen, mew tongue.gif

Not really, I found mewtwo more useful than mew, and Arceus has pretty much everything on mew except a couple of possible learnable moves (higher stats, and can learn nearly every hm/tm in the game) plus Arceus has better level up moves.
killergeist7
If you count the bug pokemon, Missingo, he/she/it would be the strongest pokemon, because it has powers to destroy your save and/or game!

I miss the old nice 2D graphic...

Edit: Don't forget Arceus can change types.
Kaptain J
I, personally, can't stand fighting someone with only legendaries...

"Oh yeah!? You choose Pikachu!? Well, taste the power of my 6 Arceuses!"
Retired-Pine
I don't miss the old 2D to be honest. The last couple games DPt and HGSS were really well made.
Kaptain J
QUOTE (PINEDAVX @ Apr 13 2010, 01:59 PM) *
I don't miss the old 2D to be honest. The last couple games DPt and HGSS were really well made.

Agreed.
killergeist7
@Kaptain: That's why there are rules for Pokemon tournaments (those big ones), every pokemon got a rank, based on how much it is used and that based on his stats. Legendarys are Uber, those are forbidden, too strong. And few others nearly reach that lv. There are even forbidden moves on specific pokemons, because those are too strong.
Getdizzy
i dont generally use Legendaries in play. they go in boxes where i can hold those gods as little slaves foooooreeeeeeveeeeer
Kaptain J
QUOTE (killergeist7 @ Apr 13 2010, 02:02 PM) *
@Kaptain: That's why there are rules for Pokemon tournaments (those big ones), every pokemon got a rank, based on how much it is used and that based on his stats. Legendarys are Uber, those are forbidden, too strong. And few others nearly reach that lv. There are even forbidden moves on specific pokemons, because those are too strong.

I've never been in one, so I didn't know tongue.gif Although, I still run into non-tourney battles, in which people use 'em. In those cases, I simply shut it off...

QUOTE (U-1996 @ Apr 13 2010, 02:04 PM) *
i dont generally use Legendaries in play. they go in boxes where i can hold those gods as little slaves foooooreeeeeeveeeeer

Same here wink.gif
killergeist7
I use only few of the legendaries, either I like them or it's usefulness is bigger than having one in team.
I.e./E.x.: Suicune from Crystal, the ice attack on lv 41 (or was it 51? anyways one level after catching) is VERY useful, if you don't like the pokemons in cave and to train them.

Btw I loved Crystal.

Edit: Btw I missed you guys. happy.gif
kabuto202
Back in my day, there were only 151 Pokemanz D:<
420joker
^what he said
Getdizzy
Does anyone else find it amusing that most of the complaints about the newer Pokemon fit in one of two categories:

a. They Changed It Now It Sucks

b. It's The Same Now It Sucks

The best part is that these two should seem contradictory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.