Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to make a tileset from rips?
RPG Maker VX Community > RPG Maker VX > Resource Show Case > Resource Requests
Brandon727
I'm going to keep improving my skills while I'm on hiatus so that when I come back for episode II, it'll be polished. I've got an idea for a trailer of a potential future project( I can't get it out of my head lately) but I need this tileset. I'd also like to learn how to rip tilesets but for now, I'd just like to see an example using this and then maybe someone would be kind enough to explain how they did it?

It's basically a game that is heavily inspired from Legacy of Goku II. It could even be seen as a direct sequel as future trunks returns to his own timeline at the end of Legacy of Goku II. It tells the story of what happens to future trunks in his own timeline after the defeat of cell. Years after destroying the androids, Bulma inadvertently happens upon the location of new Namek where the dragon balls still exist and a new adventure begins. I just want to make a trailer for now and put it on youtube and see what people think.

Thanks for any help
Leridan
I don't think these tiles can be used as-is. If you want to use them, you'll need to set them up in the correct format for RPG Maker VX. The exact specifications for tilesets can be found in the program's help documentation under RPG Maker VX > Resource Manager.
Terra-chan
looks to me like it's formated for RPGMaker2k or something... Because of the tile sizes. the tiles could easily be enlarged and used in RPGMaker XP because that's the autotile positioning in XP, but it would need heavy editing for VX. Particularily if you DON'T want to resize and leave it at that.
Aden Sickle
I rather enjoy making tilesets which is a good thing considering i'm making over a hundred tilesheets for my current project. As Leridan says these tiles cannot be used as-is. they must be reformated and edited to work within the VX engine.
i would post you link here but I'm having to use a library computer and i don't have my usual resources avalible but, in my pokemon project thread on the first post there is a attachment or a link (I can't remember) that has a tilesheets. in the folder are a set of templates which resembale checker boads. You can make them yourself if you perfer (they are quite easy to make). it's simple 32x32 pixle sqaures. If you're using gimp, paint.net or photoshop you can work in a layer above them it is very easy to edit the tiles to a proper size.
Another major problem is size. I can't look at the sizes of the individual tiles cause this computer is not equiped with the proper programs but most of the times straight rips are too small. usualy by half. for example, a single tile in VX is 32x32 (hence the reason my temples are make with 32x32 squares) and a single tile in most rips is 16x16. So you must either double the size of the rips or manualy edit them to fill the remaining space. Manual editing takes longer and is much more labor intinsive while a simple 200% increase is easyer but doesn't look as good.

There is a lot involved with makeing a tile set. most of what i know has come from trial and error. if you are still interested imaking your tileset send me a pm and i'll go more indepth on the process.
Brandon727
There's another project I've also had interest in. It's a visual novel based on the life of Melchior. I notice when dealing with tileset rips that there's a cutoff as seen here.

I don't see how you could work around that other than including another tileset with the missing part. correct?

So now for the request.

I would like to get this part

out of this

in tileset form and I'd like to learn how you did it so I can keep growing as a game maker.
What makes a tileset a tileset anyway? Couldn't I just draw a background within dimensions and make it png and then use it?
Pentagonbuddy
What makes a tileset a tileset anyway?

In the most basic form, a tile is just a square of 32x32 pixels placed into a grid. That's really all there is to it; this applies to anything that uses tiles, regardless of the tile size. I'm not a pixel artist though, so I can't really give you a fancy answer. Ripping is pretty easy if you have some graphical know-how, a steady hand, and lots of patience with the eraser tool. What gives you trouble in VX is the autotiles. These are set into a very specific position, and automatically place in certain ways depending on what kind of autotile you're dealing with.

Spoiler:

I started placing some things into tiles, but there are some mistakes. n__n; You have to be very careful where the pixels go when making these, since they tile themselves in a pattern.

There's what it looks like in VX. The wall tiles in A4 were actually around 3 tiles high, but I had to shrink them to 2 tiles high so that they'd comply to VX's autotiles. Using autotiling is optional, however, because I could also separate the wall into individual pieces and then map based on that. It's just rather tedious, that's all. I should note that if I did that, it would mean I could probably keep the walls at their original height.

And with the edit to tile A3... I actually had to manually extend it to make it two tiles high, so that it'd fit the autotile specifications. Still, it looks weird when you go higher than 2 tiles with it, so I wouldn't consider it a very good attempt. Someone who has experience with tiles could figure out a better way to format it, I'm sure.

Couldn't I just draw a background within dimensions and make it png and then use it?

You can definitely do this; it's called parallax mapping. There are some tutorials by C7 in the tutorials forum about the topic. Normally I'd go link them, but it's almost 3 in the morning here. @A@ I'm trying to keep a coherent reply before I forget half of what I'm trying to say.

The biggest issue with parallax mapping is passability. I took the palace map from earlier, for instance, and sized it to fix a 32x32 grid...

...Which resulted in some awkward parts.
GrandmaDeb
I really like the look of these walls! =]

/me necroposts and RUNS!!!!!!
apoc
Lol a hit and run?
GrandmaDeb
/me sneaks away.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.