Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting into the Gaming industry
RPG Maker VX Community > Non-RPG Maker > General Lounge
chiyeung
Do you think that RPGmaker would help you get into the gaming industry? For either a designer job or writing job. I assuming an entry level position at first of course.
Would it be possible? I understand one should have a portfolio, do you think an rpg maker game would aid the portfolio?

I believe that landing a writing job would be easier with RPMVX compared to a designing job.
BigEd781
No, not really, but it won't hurt. RPG Maker is a toy engine; if you want to get serious about game development you should learn to use modern tools.
Kaptain J
Well, actually, I'm sure it's quite helpful, depending on the position. For example, writing is about as impressive as could be in commercial games, and music can still be original work. The only unimpressive thing would be the games themselves (unless real dedication is put into every aspect). Especially if RTP is used :/
BigEd781
QUOTE (Kaptain J @ May 3 2011, 10:32 AM) *
Well, actually, I'm sure it's quite helpful, depending on the position. For example, writing is about as impressive as could be in commercial games, and music can still be original work. The only unimpressive thing would be the games themselves (unless real dedication is put into every aspect). Especially if RTP is used :/

Well, it depends on if we are talking design or writing, as the OP mentions both, but they are very different animals. As far as writing goes it doesn't really matter what medium you use, it's the writing itself that counts. Design however is more specific and modern games don't design 2D sprites in Photoshop (or whatever editor you happen to use). You will need to learn how to use 3D modeling software.
chiyeung
Hmm I guess RPMVX can help in designing levels as companies also look for level designer, which look for level designs, even on pen and paper!
Kaptain J
Yeah, design is the trickier thing in this case, as Ed said. Although, there are still 2D RPGs out there (mainly for the DS).
wltr3565
RM can be your engine to make a commercial game as professional as possible. In fact, some sell their RM games smile.gif. Mostly just... using some unoriginal resources sad.gif even if there's one with 100% original graphics, they lack of being known by people, mostly sad.gif

It's my personal experience... So using RM as your engine for a commercial game is not really good. Flash and directx is a good other alternative.
Amy Pond
I imagine it would be good to become a designer, but to become a programmer all they wanna know is a, do you know C++, and b, can you follow instructions.

Writer/designer? Sure, if your game actually shows you are a good writer/designer. tongue.gif
EZaxess
I wouldn't suggest anything rpg maker related into a portfolio. You can mention it, as an initiative and interest for gaming design and whatnot... but not as a show-off I do not recommend that.

Especially if you are using ANY kind of ripped content or the RTP, and I mean ANYTHING at all. Not even a tree, or a script.

And if it's "design" that appeals to you... present them with the concept you've built, drawings, stories, think "I'm introducing a game design to a renown game company". There may be exception for that... but if you expect them to go through your rmvx project to judge any of your skills, that'll most likely never happen.

Yet again, never say never I guess.
WilliamJConn
I'm going to say no. I believe interning is right about THE ONLY way to get into the video game industry, because most places absolutely will not hire you unless you have experience working in game development professionally. Same goes with just about any job that requires a skillset. I looked into what it would take to work at PIXAR. Even for a writer, you need tons upon tons of experience - as an example - and you can only get that experience by interning.

Naturally, you could always start your own company, too!
GrandmaDeb
Those links are great Ed - I read the articles. I will hand them to my students on Tuesday wink.gif

FYI our local community college has a gaming line of courses:
http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/ca/gaming/coreclasses.html

Of course there are different directions to go - but if you were listening to Ed at all, graphics work in most of the complex modern game environments need people who can render images - think CALCULUS! My daughter is taking multivariable calulus exams next week, and she hasn't hit Differential Equations yet 0_o and it is tough stuff! So if you are still young, take math classes and study.

IMHO the game making industry will continue to grow, but the people who will rise with it will be the ones with significant skills and their foot in the door, along with a very few entrepreneurs who find niches for flash games and the like. Educational games will become tour-de-force as research catches up with reality on just how much kids brains engage when they play.

Be like Abraham Lincoln "I will prepare myself and one day my time will come..."

A Medical Mystery
Realistically, probably not. I certainly wouldn't put RMVX on my resume.

RPG Maker itself as well as RGSS/2 are very high-level. Not meaning complicated in their usage, but in their background as programs. Games created with them are far more inefficient in performance and memory usage than the same game coded in, say, C++, mostly because they are bloated with features that enhance user-friendliness at the ultimate expense of the final product.

The best way to get into the games industry is pretty much the same as for most careers - networking.
Kaptain J
Why are people making it seem like such a bad idea to show companies that you've made games and/or resources with RPG Maker? How's it hurting you? If you show them your resume with RPG Maker and show them without it, wouldn't they be more impressed by the one with RPG Maker? Maybe not as much as other programs, but for a hobby, I'm sure it's a good idea to throw it in there.
WilliamJConn
Well, no. I don't think RPG Maker would help your resume at all. Heck, if you add it on there as work experience, it might even detract. The truth is that you're applying for an industry that mainly uses C++ with 'experience' in a game maker that you only had to push buttons for things to happen the way you want.

I'm not trying to say that RPG Maker isn't cool for a hobbyist, but putting it on a resume...that's another story.
BigEd781
QUOTE (Kaptain J @ May 14 2011, 12:07 PM) *
Why are people making it seem like such a bad idea to show companies that you've made games and/or resources with RPG Maker? How's it hurting you?

It may hurt you because you risk coming off as a complete ametuer who has no idea how the video game industry works. It shows that you are either naive or not serious about the job. They want to see things that apply to how they do business, not 2D pixel art used in a child's video game engine.
Kaptain J
Not everyone's going to use C++ in their work area, though. If you've made beautiful graphics, awesome music, or just invented a brilliant game mechanic, I don't see the problem. Maybe if you were applying for a coding position, it might not look as good, but there are other areas that would be worth showing what you did.
Celianna
Let's say you're trying to apply for a job as a cashier at some grocery store. The manager asks you if you have any experience, and you'll reply with: "I've played with toy cashiers as a kid all the time!"

That's basically the equivalent of saying you used RPG Maker VX as 'experience'. It won't look good. You can mention it as a hobby (if asked about hobbies), but don't pass it off as experience.
Soruve
I've actually heard something different from people working for game companies. If you're looking into game design; more specifically level design etc. I don't see why they'd think less of you for using RPG Maker - I mean, you're showing off puzzle/level ideas, not your coding skills, nor your graphic or music skills. IF you are applying as a programmer, then using rpg maker in your portfolio will not end well.

Artbane, one of the two creators of Master of the Wind did use the game in his portfolio when applying to Venan as a designer and did get the job. And I remember Laura Shigihara (composer of Plants vs. Zombies) said that it's not unreasonable to use rpg maker in your portfolio, as they care more about creativity, fun factor and the end result rather than how it was made. (unless you're going for a programming position).

So really, it depends on what exactly are you applying for and what company you're applying to. Obviously the bigger game companies expect a more solid portfolio with actual experience in the gaming industry, so you probably won't be hired by simply showing RPG Maker in your portfolio. But you might have a better chance at being hired among smaller, indie or lesser-known game companies.

As long as RPG Maker isn't the ONLY thing in your portfolio when applying, I don't see the problem with it. If you're going for a position as a graphic designer, music composer, concept artist, etc. there is no need to use rpg maker in your portfolio. Also, depending one what company you're applying to, they might expect different things. Some companies specialize in 2d mobile games whereas others specialize in 3d PC/console games.

Just my two cents.
A Medical Mystery
It's absolutely fine to use RPG Maker for showing off prototypes/ideas to a potential employer, just as much as Construct or Game Maker. Just don't expect people to take you seriously when you describe it as the crux of your experience. It does depend on what you plan to do, but I would at least include programs created by other means to show your familiarity with other development environments.
Kaptain J
@Soruve - Thank you. That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

@Celianna - That's a pretty poor comparison, actually. I would say applying as a cashier with toy cashiers as experience is more like the equivalent of applying as a C++ coder with RGSS2 as experience, or just saying you can make a game because you "mapped" or "evented." There are a lot of other factors in making a game that they could easily find impressive, which Soruve pointed out. RPG Maker has plenty of aspects developers would find impressive. And saying "it won't look good" is just an assumption. As Soruve pointed out, plenty of those aspects matter to plenty of developers. You just need more experience before the bigger fish consider you. And considering RPG Maker might nab you a spot with Indie companies, you'd have a much better chance from there to climb the ladder.
Celianna
@Kaptain J: I would not attribute RPG Maker to any of these things. You can script for VX? Great, say you know how to script in Ruby. You can sprite for VX? Great, say you know how to create sprites. But to say; "Yeah I worked with RPG Maker" is not a smart move since the program is meant as entertainment so the general public can create easy games, and you don't want to seem amateurish.

Here's a better comparison:

Claiming you're a good photographer when all you've done is made pictures with a cellphone camera.
Getdizzy
I think claiming rpg maker vx as an INSPIRATION that led you to develop skills etc wouldn't hurt you. But you need to have some skills to show outside of it.
Kaptain J
@Celianna - Oh, well of course simply saying you've used RPG Maker isn't a smart move. I think that, if you were to put it on your resume/portfolio, give specific examples. But you're right that RPG Maker itself doesn't exactly need to be added if it's graphics/music/writing/Ruby you're going for. But adding the program alongside your specific talents shows that you've applied your talents to games. And of course, I really think it should only be added to your resume if you've actually finished a game. And even then, only add it if the game is good.

So I guess I'll say it is a good idea, but only under certain conditions. If the game is crap, then no. If the game is good, then yes. Whether or not you've used the program doesn't matter. What matters is whether or not you've made a decent game. It shows that you're dedicated, and that you follow through with the projects you're a part of. That's what I think, anyway...
MasterChief
Hi guys, just thought i'd come on here and spread the news, but as there is a topic about this sorta thing already. getting into the gaming industry is tough but it can be done. i've officially started studying to be a Video games designer with Train2Game online course.. im so exstatic about it. i've actually asked about RPG maker with my tutor. and i can put it into my portfolio, as design falls under pretty much everything but programmers and animation.

im actually going to start my own game studio once i get my TIGA diploma biggrin.gif
LuminousInferno
I would say yes and no really...for different reasons on both aspects. I would say yes if you managed to complete a game fully and show it to a games company already out there (they may recognise your talent for story writing etc). I would also say yes as working on a game first hand gives you that experience to ready yourself for the gaming industry as a whole. I would probably recommend going to university to study a more in depth course on gaming as that will aid massively.
On its own, I don't think it will get you very far. But, combined with other aspects, it can be good for the industry experience (especially if you have formed a team).
It really depends on how far you have come with a project. The software teaches you more than just how to make a game; collaboration and independent learning are all taught when creating a computer game.
Reedo
I guess I'll mostly reinforce some of what was already said; maybe I'll luck out and add something of value tongue.gif

First, when we speak of developing a game, terms like 'writing' and 'designing' are very loose. On a full-scale development team, you will have positions for 3D-Artists (your character modelers), 2-D Artists (don't count out the photoshop spriters! even modern games need icons, hud elements, etc. and many times these are animated exactly (or nearly exactly) as we do in RMVX), visual designers (who sketch the look and feel of everything so that all modelers and artists keep a consistent feel), level designers (who use world building tools and the assets created by the artists to create actual play content according to the visual designer's concepts), animators who bring life to the models, scripters who make everything interact, and many other possible positions or sub-positions to the ones already mentioned.

All of these aspects are present (well, not the 3D related, but generally all of the others) in creating a RMVX game. What matters is how many of these elements you are able to do on your own. As others have said, if you include a game in your portfolio that contains only default visual/sound assets and scripts, then you only show that you are able to use a visual designer, and have basic level design and game-play balance understanding (assuming your game is good).

Now then, the more of the RMVX game that is custom, the better. For instance, someone like Yanfly could demo one of their games because nearly everything is customized. She could show artistic talent, programming talent, design talent, game-play mechanics talent etc. So if you really put a ton of effort into your game, it could show that you are very well rounded and have a solid understanding of how the basic elements of a video game work.

So I would say that as long as you presented the RMVX content accurately as a representation a specific skill or set of skills, then there is no reason not to use it with the rest of your portfolio.

Now then, if I were to suggest a next step after RPG Maker VX, it would absolutely have to be Unity 3D. Actually, that's why I came to the forums today tongue.gif ...to see if there's any discussion of it here and/or if there are any artists here looking for a serious project! lol

Anyway, I won't hijack this thread, so back to the point at hand, I'll say in summary that RPG Maker VX can be something you keep in your portfolio of game development, but it has to be included only as a demonstration of a specific skill or set of skills - not as "proof" of your ability to create video games as a whole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.