Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Quest
RPG Maker VX Community > RPG Maker VX > Project Development
Gamesfreak13563

Last Updated: 11-2-11
Platform: RMVX

Let's face it. You are a very busy person. Who has time for a forty hour RPG? Today's games are all about brevity. For years you searched and searched for an RPG that could be played on the fly, because I don't know, Angry Birds wasn't time killing enough for you or something.
Well now your wishes have been answered!
Quick Quest is the RPG game that's quick to complete! (maybe even one hour if you're fast enough!)

How does it work?
Straight from the start, you're given a multitude of options. Quick Quest won't be just one RPG: it will be a collection of games, called scenarios, which you can play on one game file.

Each game's plot boils down to one sentence:
"Save the elements!"
"Rescue the princess!"
"Kill the dragon!"

Add to that, if the scenario's inherent difficulty isn't hard enough, coming soon includes challenge mode - set gamer challenges like "No Escapes" and have the game enforce them for you!**

Current Scenarios:

Scenario 1: Four Elements
Yes. Elements. They control elementary forces. There are even four of them. Go protect them from evil or something.

Scenario 2: Orc Invasion
Not Warcraft

Does this paltry list upset you? Did you want a quick RPG with a different plot? Comment below with a suggestion - if yours is good enough, you might even get a scenario made for you!

Download:
Download Here

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:

Graphics:
Antares and Epic Ancient for BattleBack conversions.
BigEd for Save and Menu Images
Khold01 (Title Background Image)

Scripting:
BigEd
Migetman12
Minto
Mithran
modern algebra
Moghunter
Moon
Night_Runner
Reedo
TOMY
Woratana
Yanfly

*Legal Disclaimer: Can, not 'always will'. First playthroughs will probably be longer.
**So you can't cheat. Cheater.

Currently just placeholder music from my other game Dungeons: Critical Hit, so all music credits go to people who worked on that. Two of the battle themes are from Final Fantasy II. I'll compose an actual OST later, unless you want to do that.
Gamesfreak13563
You can post here if you want to add anything or have any suggestions. Thanks!
silversnake
So basically your saying each scenario will take you an hour to beat not the whole game?
Each scenario is basically a differant game?
Gamesfreak13563
QUOTE (silversnake @ Oct 8 2011, 04:46 PM) *
So basically your saying each scenario will take you an hour to beat not the whole game?
Each scenario is basically a differant game?

Yep!
fmstwre
This looks like a nice simple game. I'll look forward to this :3
G-elmo
This is a good concept, reminds me of the (insert number here)-in-1 games back in the day.

Hope to see it develop smile.gif
Drunken Paladin
This is actually a pretty smart move. The attention span of gamers has dropped significantly with the rise of mobile platforms, and yet the nostalgia of games we enjoyed from earlier generations is still marketable.

The catch-22, in this case, is that your project's exposure is mostly limited to people in a community of probable exceptions to the rule--we are all designers and (by and large) players of RPG Maker games, and subsequently, have a lot of expectations coming into a project. It would be very difficult to create the same degree of immersion and engagement in a genre where the player expects to take over a role if you have a one-hour time-constraint. Still, I'd like to see it done.

At the same time, I can't know what your intended audience will be... but you might consider porting your experiments here to a mobile device in the future (as much as it pains me to say).

Best of luck.
Gamesfreak13563
QUOTE (Drunken Paladin @ Oct 15 2011, 10:03 PM) *
This is actually a pretty smart move. The attention span of gamers has dropped significantly with the rise of mobile platforms, and yet the nostalgia of games we enjoyed from earlier generations is still marketable.

The catch-22, in this case, is that your project's exposure is mostly limited to people in a community of probable exceptions to the rule--we are all designers and (by and large) players of RPG Maker games, and subsequently, have a lot of expectations coming into a project. It would be very difficult to create the same degree of immersion and engagement in a genre where the player expects to take over a role if you have a one-hour time-constraint. Still, I'd like to see it done.

At the same time, I can't know what your intended audience will be... but you might consider porting your experiments here to a mobile device in the future (as much as it pains me to say).

Best of luck.

Most of the scenarios right now are experiments in this concept. I'm not sure whether or not a level of immersion or depth is possible or easily accomplished. My main concern is if I can create an old school RPG that can be beaten in an hour. That has been proven possible: I'm not going to try and deny that the first scenario, Four Elements, isn't basically a stripped down Final Fantasy I. With my next scenarios, I'll try putting more complicated plots in and attempt characterization, something that writers can help me with.

If you want to take a look at the demo of my next scenario which is starting to delve into that territory, I've released a second beta. This beta adds a few side quests to the first scenario and cleans it up, while also adding a demo of Orc Invasion.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c74ib7bl1cvqisb
Gamesfreak13563
I've made some graphical changes in this new demo. Check out the screenshots and see if you like em! Then play it here.

-Gamesfreak13563
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.