Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Be Human
RPG Maker VX Community > RPG Maker VX > Project Development > Early Project Feedback
Kengaskhan
To Be Human
"To be human is to shoulder the weight of an ideal, of a world exemplar. Yet what are we, but little more than mere humans?"
-Neila Solvai, First Archivist at Pradev

A Brief History of Eledar
Spoiler:
"In ages past, Eledar was once uncivilized, savage, and new. And to our ancestors, from the other end of the Agiscan Sea, Eledar was an opportunity, a land filled with riches. We seized Eledar as our own, marking it with our human touch. We had quickly erected the grandest civilization, one that spanned coasts, with cities made of gold. Soon, we had forgotten our home. 'twas a thing of the past, a land too far. And so, our ancestors had lived on, for countless centuries. Perhaps not in perfect harmony, as my many other colleagues would have you believe, but they were well enough. As all things must, though, that civilization came to an end.

Humans, by nature, are different. Each man bears within his heart an ideal, unique from all others. Many may not know what exactly that ideal is, and yet more may not even know that it exists. But these ideals do exist, and they shape a man into who he is.

And even the most pure, noble ideals, the most compassionate of men will clash. As history will prove, the consequences, on occasion, are catastrophic. And there was one such occasion that led to war. Each side had the right of things, yet each saw the world differently. The details can be found in Kantor's Memoirs of the Lost, but in summary, the war resulted in the collapse of ancient Eledar. Many were slain in battle, or were lost to famine and disease, while many more fled to lands unknown, and have likely perished.

But we find ourselves once again on Eledar. Many of the survivors tried rebuild their once great civilization, and as we can attest to, their efforts were fruitful. Though our cities may not be as large, nor are they constructed of gold, we are on that path. But I fear that in time, we will follow that path to the same end, that we shall fall as our ancestors did in ancient Eledar.

We are human. Though our cities may change, we will not. No matter how we try, we will meet the same fate. Always will our ideals and dreams come into conflict, and eventually, we humans will war. It may happen when our cities are yet stone and wood, or perhaps when our cities are constructed of the finest crystal, but for all our greatness, we will fall. To be human is to shoulder the weight of an ideal, of a world exemplar. Yet what are we, but little more than mere humans?"
-Neila Solvai, First Archivist at Pradev, In Ages Past

The World of Lensia

Spoiler:
Lensia is the human name for the world upon which New Eledar resides. “Lensia” simply means “world” in Old Eledaran, and the name has remained unchanged. No one knows how long Lensia has existed for, though it is believed that Agisca, the Morninglord, had created it. Much of Lensia remains unexplored by the humans, who, for the most part, live solely on New Eledar.

New Eledar
New Eledar (more commonly referred to simply as “Eledar”) is the largest explored continent on the world of Lensia, and is by far the most populated. Bordering it on the southwest lies Ferfeya, which remains largely unexplored, moreso than the western hinterlands of New Eledar. New Eledar is completely surrounded by water. New Eledar rose from the ashes of Old Eledar, which had been devastated by the Vaeseledaran Crusades, a great civil conflict. Old Eledar was so utterly annihilated that no city remained standing by the end, and the emptied villages and towns were soon reclaimed by nature, unopposed by humanity. It is of note that many historians speculate that the destruction of Old Eledar was not by man's hand alone.

New Eledar is a heavily forested and flat land. Vast fields of tallgrass are scattered across the heartland, along with marshes, swamps, and plateaus. New Eledar is, overall, warm and humid. Only the far north ever experiences snow fall, where lies the only true mountain range of New Eledar.

The capital of New Eledar is Pradev, which is located on the Needle of Leyev, a peninsula which divides the Leyevan Harbor, the largest harbor of New Eledar.

Ferfeya
Not much is known of Ferfeya, though Ferfeyans occasionally travel to New Eledar, and Ferfeyan merchant ships often travel to Pradev to trade. Ferfeya is located to the southwest of New Eledar. Like New Eledar, Ferfeya's founders were survivors of the Vaeseledaran, who fled far from the ruins of Old Eledar.

Ferfeya, unlike New Eledar, is arid and mountainous. It is a barren land, near unfit for habitation, though the Ferfeyans manage to eke out an existence there, and manage even to thrive.

The capital of Ferfeya is Dzhevei. Nestled within a great valley, it is said to be a grand sight to behold.

Esora (The Agiscan Islands)
Esora lies between Pradev and Selsia. As the other name suggests, Esora rests in the Agiscan Sea. Esora is the native name for the islands, though the Eledarans refer to the islands as the Agiscan Islands. There exist very few historical records of the Esorans, though it is known that their culture dates back to before Old Eledar rose. In some of the texts, it is hinted that not all of the Selsians who migrated to Old Eledar (what was then "the new world") actually made it. Many of the Selsians, in fact, settled Esora and were left there, as the rest of the Selsia made their way to the new world.

The Esorans are considered to be primitive by the Eledarans. Though the Esorans lack the technology of the Eledarans, their culture is far more rich and developed. While slavery isn't a particularly common practice on Eledar, those who are enslaved are mostly Esorans. The Esorans send occasional trade ships to Eledar and Ferfeya, though there aren't many.

Esora is composed mostly of tropical islands. It is warm year-round, and most of the islands are inhabited.

Esora has no capital, though the largest and most populated island is Orkavi.

Selsia
Very little is known of Selsia, aside from the fact that it was abandoned by the Old Eledarans, as Selsia was a dying land. It lies to the west of New Eledar, far across the Agiscan Sea.

Story

Spoiler:
Our story takes place on what is occasionally called New Eledar, though it's often referred to simply as Eledar. While there are no major conflicts in Eledar, Avery has a goal, and she means to accomplish it. While no war or kings stand in her way to impede her progress, her journey to the center of Eledar, to the ruins of the capital will still be a perilous one. And who knows what she might uncover along her journey?

The story follows Avery Savil, who is enlisted by the Merchants of Pradev as a guard for one of their caravans. In return, rather than monetary payment, the merchants have agreed to send her to Salienne as soon as the opportunity presented itself. In Salienne, she believes she will find a means to make peace with whatever it is that haunts her past.

The story begins as the caravan makes it way on the high road, where it crosses through the Vivic Woods. The Vivic Woods are located about a third of the way between Pradev, the capital of New Eledar, and Salienne.

Characters

Spoiler:
Avery Savil
Age - 24
Role - Mercenary
Sullen and reserved, Avery Savil seems to lack a past. At the very least, she doesn't often speak of it. Her few friends know little more of her than those who know her not at all. Avery bears a strong sense of justice and expresses a dislike of cowards, though she'll be quick to their aid. Avery harbors a strange disdain for people in general, though it doesn't often show. She remains calm under duress, no matter the odds, and she rarely raises her voice in anger. Beneath her apparent calm, though, she masks inner turmoil.

She is very skilled with the broadsword, her weapon of choice, and is more than a match for most common soldiers, and many knights. Much like her past, though, she offers no hint as to how she was trained.

Daniel Capelev
Age - 53
Role - Knight
Cynical and worldly, Daniel Capilev is a knight of Pradev.As a knight of low-birth, he's worked for the Merchant Guild near all his life since attaining knighthood, serving as a caravan guard. Soon enough, he was promoted to caravan master (which is much the same task, though with higher pay, and a few other bonuses), and he's traveled throughout all of Eledar, always with a caravan. His is the caravan that Avery finds herself on.

As a knight, he fights with a broadsword and shield, and wears thick, heavy armor. Daniel Capelev is not a well-known name, though he's a very competent fighter.

Tallan Naihri
Age - 22
Role - Shaman
Tallan Naihri hails from Orkavi, the largest island of Esora. Avery meets Tallan soon after our story begins, but the two already appear to be acquainted.
For an Esoran, he speaks the Eledaran very fluently, and he seems to know and understand much of Eledaran culture, more than most. Tallan is rather lighthearted and friendly, often quick to make a quip or two (and at times, even three).

Tallan Naihri usually fights with daggers and knives, though his power lies in his magic, which enables him to bestow curses upon his enemies and to heal his allies.

(More to come in the future.)

The main character's name was originally Leigh, but was changed to Avery.
10/14/2011 - A new section (The World of Lensia) has been added.

As this is pretty early in production, I can't really say much about the graphics or game mechanics. I do plan on using custom graphics, though when those will be created is totally unknown to me (and I lack artistic talent). As for the game mechanics, I have a pretty good idea of what they'll be, and I'm pretty excited about the whole level up and combat system I've come up with. But I'll have to wait for that.
ShadowSick
Would you want my help with anything? I am pretty good at character sprites, if you need them.
mnMetal
This looks pretty good.
You might want to add more information about the story, but what you have already is written very well.
For example, Avery's intentions are not clearly stated as far as I can tell. Why is she so intent on getting to the ruins of the capital?
Other than that, the maps look well done, and the Character bios are decent.
When do you expect to get a demo out? I'm definitely interested in playing it.
Kengaskhan
QUOTE (ShadowSick @ Oct 5 2011, 07:14 PM) *
Would you want my help with anything? I am pretty good at character maps, if you need them.

By "character maps", I'm guessing you're referring to spriting? I took a quick look at the link in your signature, and I'm not quite sure that it's what I'm looking for.
Either way, I can't really say that I'm looking for a spriter at the moment (I couldn't even tell you how the characters look), but I'll shoot you a PM or something if I need your help with something.

QUOTE (mnMetal @ Oct 5 2011, 07:46 PM) *
This looks pretty good.
You might want to add more information about the story, but what you have already is written very well.
For example, Avery's intentions are not clearly stated as far as I can tell. Why is she so intent on getting to the ruins of the capital?
Other than that, the maps look well done, and the Character bios are decent.
When do you expect to get a demo out? I'm definitely interested in playing it.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. biggrin.gif
My friend told me that I needed to add more information, and I'll get around to it tomorrow, as, regrettably, I'm busy at the moment.
As for the demo, I honestly have no clue. This is my first project ever, so I'm not quite sure how long these things take. My guess would be about as good as yours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.