Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did I miss something?
RPG Maker VX Community > Community Central > Feedback and Support
Dorian's World
BidEd was banned and Emmych was reduced to a member. Looking at the warn lowering thread, this can't have happened more than a week ago, Em's post about warning is just 3 days old. Did something happen? I've come to respect these (used to be) mods very much.
Emmych
Some shit went down when a bunch of us decided to move to a new forum. Unfortunately, I can't tell you WHERE we went, as the current administrators (not anyone you'd know, mind you -- they're the highest of higher ups. Idk if he's still around now, but if you see a mikemcd in the online user sections, that's him) have made it a bannable offence to link to that forum (even in your signature or profile, where it was formerly allowed), but I'm sure if you look around a little bit, you'll be able to find us. wink.gif

And I'm still technically a moderator for the Resource Showcase; it's just that the current administrators have removed me from the moderators group, so my name is all back in black. I will be leaving, however, as I'm no longer comfortable working here, but I'm gonna wait until things have settled down a little and those who wish to stay have gotten back on their feet.
Dorian's World
Well I'll miss ya then. I liked your criticism.

I'm going to guess that it's the new community that you've moved to. It's where everyone seemed to have went. Wish you luck wherever you are. smile.gif
Tohsaka
People went around playing 'Revolution' games, including removing their content from the boards~ :/
amerk
In all fairness, it is their content to keep or remove. And being down for a near month will drive anybody insane. I've enjoyed all of the communities I've come across over the years, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. While this has had its own share of woes in recent times, and it wasn't always easy to get along with the staff in the past, I really liked the layout for resources and tutorials, which I always thought was organized.

Hopefully this site can crawl out of the ashes and reclaim some of its glory. If they can, great, I'll be sure to continue visiting from time to time. If not, then I'll chalk it up to a great site that saw its peak and its unfortunate demise. In any case, I will definitely miss the layout of this forum, and how it was all things VX.
GrandmaDeb
Yes, we have had a big bump in the road. I am not sure we need to play the funeral dirge just yet.

Let's just continue on and see how all of our great community assets fall back into place.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you have remaining questions.
amerk
Not a funeral dirge, GD, just a wistful sigh and a bowing of the head as if a family member has taken to a sudden illness. My main expression was the hope that whatever happens that this site maintains its current layout (or a similar layout once things are hashed out) that we've all become accustomed to. I will miss a lot of the people, but I know where I can find them, and I hope that they don't harber any ill-will against those who wish to stay.

In any case, it definitely gives this site a chance to start over with something fresh and new, especially for new people coming on to the RM scene.
Amy Pond
Let's just hope whatever was causing all of that downtime is fixed for good.
mikemcd
QUOTE (Amy Pond @ Mar 20 2012, 10:03 AM) *
Let's just hope whatever was causing all of that downtime is fixed for good.

If there is ANY downtime, I want to know about it. That shouldn't happen. We own/operate a couple hundred sites and downtime is never an issue... -- mike at ientry dot com
Amy Pond
I assume you know but the forums were quite recently down for a significantly long time, which I believe is one of the main reasons for this weeks little drama. They weren't "down" down, just "inaccessible" down (clicking any links led to an IPS server error). It has been a recurring problem and the site has been down numerous times in the past year or more (although some of them actually down completely so may not be related). I can't find any announcements on them in the announcements forum but they don't tend to get made so I can't back that up I'm afraid. But I'm sure someone else can vouch for that.

There's been heavy frustration over it for quite some time.

Some of it coincides with downtime on RPG Revolution, but the majority of it has been just this site.

If it's turns out they are for legitimate reasons, perhaps this highlights the importance of communication about these problems.
mikemcd
QUOTE (Amy Pond @ Mar 20 2012, 10:20 AM) *
I assume you know but the forums were quite recently down for a significantly long time, which I believe is one of the main reasons for this weeks little drama. They weren't "down" down, just "inaccessible" down (clicking any links led to an IPS server error). It has been a recurring problem and the site has been down numerous times in the past year or more (although some of them actually down completely so may not be related). I can't find any announcements on them in the announcements forum but they don't tend to get made so I can't back that up I'm afraid. But I'm sure someone else can vouch for that.

There's been heavy frustration over it for quite some time.

Some of it coincides with downtime on RPG Revolution, but the majority of it has been just this site.

Email me if there is an outage. Simple...
amerk
QUOTE (mikemcd @ Mar 20 2012, 09:09 AM) *
If there is ANY downtime, I want to know about it. That shouldn't happen. We own/operate a couple hundred sites and downtime is never an issue... -- mike at ientry dot com

Well, there's a couple topics about the downtime to back up Amy's post:

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=53409
http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showto...p=0&#entry0 (has a topic thread but no post?)

Including this particular quote:

"Yes. I've spoken with Mike McDonald on the phone a couple of times. Quite the character.
Anyways, no worries, all will be well eventually."

I'll be honest, I know next to nothing of what it takes to run a site, and finding the source of a problem is probably as difficult as locating a needle in a haystack in some situations (pardon the cliche); but telling us something is not an issue when it clearly has been can come off a bit condescending and insulting. It almost implies that iEntry has no immediate interest in the users of this site, as long as it's not hurting iEntry's profit margin, and that our issues are not iEntry's issues.

Now, I'm willing to bet that is certainly not the case, seeing as how you've come in to try and fix everything as of late, but all we're asking is for more support for the loyal fans. We want to be respected and not be treated as children (all childish antics of a few set aside), and if something is wrong (such as site downtime), an ETA on how long we can expect the downtime to be, assurances that iEntry is trying to fix it, and aplogies (not just from you, but from us as well), when one crosses the other in a wrong way.

And don't be afraid to get feedback from the users. While our main interest may be in the site itself and not the ads, some of our users have a pretty good head on their shoulders about site maintenance and website management, that they may be able to figure out solutions that can help everybody as a whole. Being open and supportive will make the community strong.

Up until now, I knew nothing about iEntry other than what complaints I've heard, and I will admit I even got caught up in the whirlwind of jokes that were flying around, and for that I apologize. It is refreshing having a spokesperson of iEntry we can communicate with, which is what I hope this posting will reflect, and now we can all set aside our differences and begin the process of healing.
Amy Pond
Email me if there is an outage. Simple...

A valid point but I'd question whether it should be left to us to tell you when your own site is down. I know I am being a dick there, but people are running the site on your behalf, for no compensation, so they can't always be relied on to inform you (or indeed be here all of the time which might be a reason for you not being informed). I honestly don't know a good solution to that, bar the moderators actually being from iEntry, and as you say you run hundreds of sites so that's not really feasible.

Sorry I'm just trying to explain why people felt like they did over this but I think I'm just coming across as a dick.

The images are broken on the board listings by the way as they were hosted on rpgmakervx.com not rpgmakervx.net.
mikemcd
QUOTE (Amy Pond @ Mar 20 2012, 11:20 AM) *
A valid point but I'd question whether it should be left to us to tell you when your own site is down. I know I am being a dick there, but people are running the site on your behalf, for no compensation, so they can't always be relied on to inform you (or indeed be here all of the time which might be a reason for you not being informed). I honestly don't know a good solution to that, bar the moderators actually being from iEntry, and as you say you run hundreds of sites so that's not really feasible.

Sorry I'm just trying to explain why people felt like they did over this but I think I'm just coming across as a dick.

The images are broken on the board listings by the way as they were hosted on rpgmakervx.com not rpgmakervx.net.

Quite the character indeed rolleyes.gif ... Don't get me started. Let's just say I am a direct person and not much up for playing games. I have no patience for clowns disguised as business people.

iEntry staff are not, nor will they ever be, daily active participants on this (or any other) forum we own. To be perfectly honest, this (and most the other forums we operate) are not part of our primary business model.
The upsides/downsides of that depend on your perspective I suppose. No, we aren't sitting on these sites hitting refresh all day and we likely never will be. That said, we do staff a a full tech/it team and downtime is typically not something I see across our web properties.

We will make sure things are secure, we will keep the site online. If either of those points are an issue, we will deal with it quickly. The server and bandwidth afforded to this site as a result of being on our network is more than it'd be sitting on just about anywhere else. That does have a cost and that cost is offset by the display of ads. Pretty standard arrangement. Nice servers and bandwidth are not free. You definitely have nice servers and bandwidth here. Most of your problems that I see looking back have had a lot more to do with IPS (which I personally and openly detest) than they do with our infrastructure.

If the site is down, email techteam@ientry.com, mike@ientry.com, & byoung@ientry.com

If the issue is something less mission critical, like a plugin, or just something you'd like to add etc... just email me or byoung@ientry.com

If it's broke, we'll fix it. If it needs to be updated, we'll update it. That's basically it.

Amy Pond
I don't know why I'm even bothering. I'm not "a clown", I'm legitimately trying to be helpful by pointing out why people left so they don't in the future.

If you don't want that then fine, I'll stop discussing this. Good day.
GrandmaDeb
Mike, thanks for being willing to share your email contact information publicly.
It demonstrates a good faith effort to get things rolling. We will see how things can roll from here on out - hopefully no more dreaded IPS errors.

Amy, sorry for the rough spot we are having. We'll get past it, no doubt. Lots of ruffled feathers on all parts, I think.
I have been as snarky as I get lately.

/me grabs a bag of cookies......
mikemcd
I know I am being a dick there, but people are running the site on your behalf, for no compensation.... I'm just coming across as a dick.

And I know I'm being a dick when I say you aren't running a board on my behalf. If you are running a board, it's because you want to run a board. I am not asking anybody to do anything they don't want to do or enjoy being a part of. If you don't want to do it, as I understand you do not, then don't. This is YOUR community on OUR site. I bring the site, you bring the community. No community, no site and I'll just 301 the whole thing to something else... It is, in other words, only what you make of it.

Again: I'm not asking anybody to do anything they don't want to do. I'm just giving everybody a chance to have somewhere to do it if they want to.

Migrating that now... I don't see anything broken however.... where is this showing up?

mikemcd
QUOTE (Amy Pond @ Mar 20 2012, 11:58 AM) *
I don't know why I'm even bothering. I'm not "a clown", I'm legitimately trying to be helpful by pointing out why people left so they don't in the future.

If you don't want that then fine, I'll stop discussing this. Good day.

Didn't say you were a clown (jury's still out on drama queen) . The guy that described me as 'a character' certainly is (a clown).

Update on images... we've looked and found two images on .com and swapped them over to .net.... if there are others, we aren't seeing them.

KaiserKami
Interesting the admin of all people would double post. Well then now that we know somewhat of went down, and we see Grandma pretty much say in non exact words "everyone back to work" lets just drop this senseless fighting.
Emmych
It's funny, because we actually did have a thread in the staff boards that was meant to be a direct contact with iEntry. For a lark, I went through and read it once: I know, for a fact, downtime issues were mentioned more than once. I also am in regular with communication with former admin Touchfuzzy (seeing as how we chat regularly and he is also my new boss on the official forums), and I know, again, for a fact, that iEntry is contacted at least once every time there is downtime.

So yeah, Mike, downtime has been a consistent issue on this site, and I'll ask why you've never attempted to do anything about it when we have tried to respectfully contact you. There have never been any explanations, just a quick "oop unexpected downtime and now the site's back up". I don't even think I remember any apologies for the downtime, which really rubs me the wrong way. You, as business owners, are supposed to supply customers with a service. If that service is compromised in anyway, you should be willing to do something about it, or at least keep your customers in the loop as to what's going on, and you should DEFINITELY apologize if you fail to provide the your service.

That's why a lot of us left, honestly. Personally, I'm no longer satisfied with your services and want to hang out somewhere else. I don't like the fact you were making money off of our work and had the gall to blanket ban four hard working staff members without any kind of communication. I don't want to be a part of a site that is run by iEntry ever again, and I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone going to you should they require your type of services.

Oh, and RE: Resources: I can't speak for everyone that did this, but I removed everything I made because I didn't want to inadvertently redirect anyone to this site. People can find my stuff on the official site and RMN, and I'm more than happy to give those sites hits, as they're run by people I like and respect.
DragonO
You know what i find completely hilarious? How much crap people will take over a hobby program when there are plenty of other places they could occupy and get what they need, lol. People must love being treated like crap.

And where do people get off being complete dicks? Is that good for business?

Notice to members: You dont have to take it up the rear to enjoy yourself. Just something i noticed.
KaiserKami
QUOTE (DragonO @ Mar 20 2012, 09:41 PM) *
You know what i find completely hilarious? How much crap people will take over a hobby program when there are plenty of other places they could occupy and get what they need, lol. People must love being treated like crap.

Notice to members: You dont have to take it up the rear to enjoy yourself. Just something i noticed.

DragonO I don't think you actually noticed what just went down, you just jumped right in not knowing what you are talking about. So actually read what just happened over the past many weeks and then you will understand. And RPG Maker is not a "hobby program" it can be a hobby to some people, but for others, they can make money off of it, it's just the same as many video game designers these days for apps on phones, computers, etc. They get paid. See that word? Paid. Thats why iEntry is wanting to solve this problem their way. Sadly not knowing the effects of what just happened.
CrimsonBeats
QUOTE (DragonO @ Mar 20 2012, 08:41 PM) *

Same goes for you. You clearly know nothing about this community, and should stop acting like an elitist and pretend you do. I don't even own an RPG Maker anymore. I'm just here for the community as a whole. So uh, yeah shut up and know your place.

EDIT: Actually all of you are stupid.
Nelderson
Ok....you ladies are all pretty, no need to pull each other's hair out. tongue.gif

My concern was all the downtime, but if Mike is making a serious commitment to putting Safeguards to ensure something like that never happens again; I'm all for it!

As for the staff that flipped out and went Bonkers: It was completely immature, but I understand their reasons, and frustrations. Both sides have been wrong with this, and I for one was pushing the edge, and it is not my intention to alienate the common user who comes on and finds a bunch of Douchebags (Myself included) trying to undermine everything. I do this as a hobby, I have better shit to worry about than to play politics....

As for Mike, all you had to do was ask for me to remove the link in my signature, and I would've gladly done it. I'm actually kinda pissed about it, but it's not something I'm going to let get in the way for the greater good of the COMMUNITY (Not any specific site). Just be up front with us. You aren't going to please everyone, but if we can't put a little bit of trust into what you are doing, then I personally have NO reason to come back. Just take some time and mull it over, I'm sure you guys have enough shit to worry about.

Alrighty....That was my rant....I feel better now biggrin.gif
CrimsonBeats
QUOTE (Nelderson @ Mar 20 2012, 09:57 PM) *
As for Mike, all you had to do was ask for me to remove the link in my signature, and I would've gladly done it. I'm actually kinda pissed about it, but it's not something I'm going to let get in the way for the greater good of the COMMUNITY (Not any specific site).

Yes. I am personal friends with Nelderson and I can assure you, he would not shut up about how pissed he was at his signature being deleted. I actually hate you for making him so annoying about it.
Lunarea
Okay, this has gone far enough.

KaiserKami, please stop spreading misinformation. iEntry are the owners of this site, but they are not involved in the content of the site. If we decide to make this forum about My Little Pony tomorrow, they would let us do so.

iEntry is not officially affiliated nor does it necessarily endorse RPG Maker. Whether someone is going commercial or not with their project has absolutely nothing to do with iEntry.

That said, this forum is still their property and we have to abide by any rules they've set. They are not okay with people speaking against them in public- regardless of whether the complaints are valid or not. If you want to give feedback to them directly, e-mail mike. Otherwise, please keep this off the boards.
mikemcd
QUOTE (Nelderson @ Mar 20 2012, 05:57 PM) *
My concern was all the downtime, but if Mike is making a serious commitment to putting Safeguards to ensure something like that never happens again; I'm all for it!

I was heretofore unaware that downtime was a big issue/problem here. Now that I am aware of that, if the site isn't working, just tell me and I will have it fixed.

QUOTE (Nelderson @ Mar 20 2012, 05:57 PM) *
As for Mike, all you had to do was ask for me to remove the link in my signature, and I would've gladly done it. I'm actually kinda pissed about it, but it's not something I'm going to let get in the way for the greater good of the COMMUNITY (Not any specific site). Just be up front with us.

Being up front is my specialty. As for the sig, I 'm sorry, but given the circumstances of the moment, there simply wasn't time to just ask everybody first. I had little choice and even less reason (based on what I had already run into at that point) that the sig thing was anything but an openly hostile kind of thing. Now that the majority of the fires are out, people are being asked nicely first (once).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.