RPG Maker VX Community > RPG Maker VX > RPG Maker VX Tutorials
Pages: 1, 2
C-7
[-Graphics-] Parallax Mapping Techniques
Difficulty: Moderate

By: C7

Information to know

Spoiler:

RPGMaker VX has the capability to see parallax maps in the editor while you're working. They're typically used as backgrounds behind tiles (think a moving sky or something like that behind the mountain crest you just made with tiles). So the first thing we need to do is define what a parallax is. As far as the program is concerned--and as far as you should be concerned--parallax means “image.”

So, what are we trying to do here? We're trying to make our game look unique and give it our own style. If you decide that tiles are not the way to go for your game, then this is where to turn.

Things to keep in mind:

Spoiler:
NEGATIVES
Parallaxes take more work and time.
Parallaxes are more finicky.
It's harder to make a parallax map work.

POSITIVES
Many more possibilities.
You can create some truly unique, gorgeous, or cool-looking maps.

Okay, we'll start with something fairly simple and move our way upwards.

The first thing you need is a plan.

Spoiler:
Remember that RMVX is based on 32x32 grids. You need to plan things out so that the player’s movement is the most important part of it all. Remember, it’s a game. It has to work. This does limit you somewhat, but I like to think of it as a creative challenge.

Once you are used to all of this, you can skip this stage, but this is a good place to start. Draw out the walking path in the rpg maker window to give yourself a good estimate on how you want things to work. For my game, things are made with a 32x48 character in mind--the default is 32x32. Therefore, my maps will be a little bit taller than what you may wish to do, but the idea remains. After you’ve done this, printscreen copy it and paste it into your image editor. I use photoshop, but you can use whatever you want. If your program supports it, I recommend turning on grids. In photoshop, the place to change the grid size is in the edit menu under preferences. Set the grid to 32 pixels.

[note: the 1/2 setting is chosen for ease of viewing, but you will want 1/1 for the parallax to line up correctly] You may need to splice stuff together or just do it from scratch.

CRUCIAL: Here's a good time to explain how parallaxes really work in the game.
Spoiler:

You have a lot of options with parallaxes, but if you want it to function as a background then it must be the exact same pixel size as the map you're working with. There's an easy way to figure this out. Figure out your map size--it's at the bottom of the screen and in the map properties window of RMVX. In the case of this map, it's 23x36 tiles across. Each tile is 32x32 pixels, so you can get the pixel amount by multiplying the number of tiles in each direction by 32. That gives you (23*32) and (36*32) to give you a grand total of 736x1152 pixels for your image. If your parallax is not this size, it will scroll at a different rate than the 'world.'

The drawing

Spoiler:
Draw your floor. It should roughly line up with your grid, but I'd recommend having a little freedom from the grid and use the grid to know where the player can step. 16 pixels above works quite well so that the player can actually walk up to a wall instead of stopping a few paces short of it. Play around and see what you can make!

You'll notice that there are different bits of stuff at some of the corners of the floor. These are either mistakes that no one will ever see :-P or they're preventing a gap

Once you've done that, its time for walls. Keep in mind at this point that the perspective that you draw the walls in (or the rest of the map) needs to be consistent with the RTP-styled sprites unless you'll be doing your own sprite work. A good 3D perspective is always nice, but it will require more work.

In the case of many of my maps--and this is a personal preference--I have the center of perspective in the middle of the map so that the angles of the walls progressively aim further out from the middle. This obviously would be a bit much on large-scale maps where you might opt for a more uniform style, but it gives a nice look to smaller maps.

Once you've got your walls, its time to add details and whatever else you want in the map! Your imagination and ability to reproduce what's in your head are your only limitations at this point. I've opted for something a bit spassr in this case.

Now you've got a (hopefully) good start to a parallax map!

CRUCIAL: Passability
Spoiler:

This step is what makes your parallax into more than just a pretty picture. The easiest way to do this is to set aside two tiles in one of your tilesets. I chose TilesetE. Go to tools>resource manager and then under the Graphics/system folder you should find TileE. Export this as a png somewhere, clear out the first two (or any two) tile slots and re-import it into RpgMaker. You now need to set one of the blank spots as passable and the other as not. It should look something like this.

Now just use the one with the O for tiles that the player can walk on and X for the boundaries/where the player cannot step.

Right click on your map in the map list window and choose this new parallax as the background and be sure to check “Show in Editor” so you can see what you're doing. You could stop right here if you wanted--and in many cases you may as well. This next part, though, is working with a second layer to create more depth. You can have multiple layers of parallaxes. There is just a necessary workaround to achieve it.

The second layer

NOTICE: The method for creating a second layer described in this tutorial is outdated and obsolete. TheOriginalWij's Fixed Image Script is a better alternative which you should use instead. That said, I'll be leaving the text of this section in case it remains useful for someone. Wij's script can be found here:

Click to see code
Spoiler:

CODE
#==============================================================================
# Sprite_Picture

class Sprite_Picture < Sprite
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Update (Overwrite)
def update
super
if @picture_name != @picture.name
@picture_name = @picture.name
if @picture_name != ""
self.bitmap = Cache.picture(@picture_name)
end
end
if @picture_name == ""
self.visible = false
else
fixed = @picture_name.include?("[FIXED]") ? true : false
self.visible = true
if @picture.origin == 0
self.ox = 0
self.oy = 0
else
self.ox = self.bitmap.width / 2
self.oy = self.bitmap.height / 2
end
self.x = @picture.x
self.y = @picture.y
# added
self.x += (self.ox - ($game_map.display_x / 8)) if fixed
self.y += (self.oy - ($game_map.display_y / 8)) if fixed
self.z = 100 + @picture.number
self.zoom_x = @picture.zoom_x / 100.0
self.zoom_y = @picture.zoom_y / 100.0
self.opacity = @picture.opacity
self.blend_type = @picture.blend_type
self.angle = @picture.angle
self.tone = @picture.tone
end
end
end

Thanks to Celianna for bringing this to my attention.

Spoiler:
We'll continue with the same map so you can see the difference. Before we get started, I've got a planter (like a plant in a pot) already pre-made and it will be called in as a character event.

So speaking of which, that's how it's done. A second layer is added by way of a character event with the graphic set to your second layer. But lets not get too far ahead--we need a second layer, first!

Something simple--some lighting and shadowing. I've added lighting in the map as one would imagine might be coming from the see-through ceiling that we're peering through. This is a similar effect to what one might get with a lighting script, but more accurate to your map and with the possibility of making the lights not pour over into the black abyss. If you're aiming for making a two-or-more-layered map, I think it's a good idea to make your tops of your walls their own layer independent of your walls. The player will never go over these in normal use, so it can save you a lot of time for things such as the player walking a little bit behind walls that overlap him/her. It creates a better flow.

I turned off all layers except those that will be on top. As you test, you may discover that you missed a spot or an oddity occurs. There's nothing wrong with making a little more stuff to hide the player from awkwardly sticking out where they shouldn't. The player walking through a solid object is a nice way to ruin the effect--try to keep things seamless.

Beautiful. Now to insert this second layer, one must make it part of a character set. Now if you think about how characters are laid out, they are 4 ‘units' high and 3 ‘units' across. Your second layer must follow this pattern. So make a new image that complies with these new dimensions. Ie, multiply the horizontal by 3 and the vertical by 4. Yes, it's huge. 2208x4608. Copy your second layer into this new file and place it at the upper left. It may help to have grids on or to make a block the size of your original image for placement. Just be sure to get rid of it when you're done.

Now you need to save the file. It should be placed in the graphics/characters folder of your local game directory. You should save your file as a png (it preserves transparency), with $ and possibly ! before the filename. The $ makes this count as a single character set instead of a bunch of them. RMVX will slide characters up 4 pixels by default. The ! symbol will get rid of this. The ! is up to you, but ideally your filename will look like “!$second.png” or something like that.

Now it must be inserted into the map. This is done by placing an event at the bottom and middle of the map screen in RMVX.

Edit the event and choose the graphic for it from the list. Uncheck stepping animation--unless you made different frames of animation--and make sure that its priority is set to be above the player. That's about all you need.

Testing
Spoiler:

Test the map. It's very likely that the second layer may be a few pixels (or WAY) off in its alignment with the background. Make whatever adjustments you need to make to the file in your image-editor (bump the image around a few pixels) and test again until it looks right. Having an element be in both of the background and foreground images should help you line things up exactly. Now add in anything you want event-wise. This could also mean custom objects that you've made can be place in the map using the same method, but perhaps choosing for their priority to be under or the same as the player. Test the map.

I have a character outline subbed in as a character sprite for this instance, but, as you can see, the lighting and shadowing (and whatever other elements you make) are cast on top of the player instead of under their feet. It makes a big difference and really helps the immersion factor.

There are some things you should try to remember. This is much more resource intensive than tile-based stuff. It has a ton of potential, however, and can make your game look quite unique. My next tutorial will be using animated parallaxes in combination with other animated layers. I hope you enjoy! Please leave comments and feedback.

Here is a demo in .zip format for you to try out. It is open source, but please make your own resources instead of using mine. There is no "up" walking animation on that character--deal with it tongue.gif

Now that you're familiar with these techniques, why not check out part two!?
Lunara
This is an excellent tutorial. I bet a lot of people were already quite curious as to how to do it, and might try it out for themselves, despite the long hours it might take them (and me xD). The steps are well explained. Maybe I'll try doing that myself one day.
Sander
Quite impressive C7, and a very nice tutorial.
I love parallax mapping but don't have the patience for it.
Getdizzy
I think the use of a sprite as a second parallax is actually pretty good "thinking outside the box" genius.
mudducky
A very amazing tutorial C-7. Thanks for making it, I think many will find this extremely useful. I am looking forward to see what new parallax designs others will be creating now xPP
Aindra
Thanks a lot, C-7 happy.gif

This is informative tutorial. I'll try to create the background and charactersets, to see how it goes. Just for an experiment. Again, thanks!
Omegas7
This is a pretty and excellent tutorial.

Too bad I am not really good at photoshop... Why don't you make a tutorial teaching us how to make that kind of maps images with photoshop? Would be awesome with this tutorial, indeed.

Thanks for it smile.gif.
C-7
QUOTE (Omegas7 @ Dec 19 2008, 07:33 PM) *
This is a pretty and excellent tutorial.

Too bad I am not really good at photoshop... Why don't you make a tutorial teaching us how to make that kind of maps images with photoshop? Would be awesome with this tutorial, indeed.

Thanks for it smile.gif.

Hmm, I suppose I could. I gave the overall plan within photoshop, but I suppose I could show the art side of it, too. It'll have to wait until after the tutorial I'm working on now (animated parallaxes and other advanced crap), but that's a great suggestion!

And thank you to everybody for the comments so far. Be sure to try out the demo--there's an extra, more complex map in there that should help people out a lot with model work!
The Professor
Hey C-7
Have you noticed significant lag when you do this? That's the only thing holding me back..
But then I reason that the tiles are pictures too, so it probably shouldn't lag.
But the tiles are tiny.. the Parallax picture is huge.. But only a part of it is going to be displayed..

Still, I want your input on this. How many maps have you done like this? Does the biggest image you have lag?
Atlas
wow im so using some of these smile.gif
temp
QUOTE (Dr.Phil @ Jan 27 2009, 04:53 PM) *
Hey C-7
Have you noticed significant lag when you do this? That's the only thing holding me back..
But then I reason that the tiles are pictures too, so it probably shouldn't lag.
But the tiles are tiny.. the Parallax picture is huge.. But only a part of it is going to be displayed..

Still, I want your input on this. How many maps have you done like this? Does the biggest image you have lag?

Thank you very much for the tutorial on how to do this, C-7.

I've only recently discovered this rpg maker program and while VX was obviously more attractive to me since I have no programming skill at all, I was slightly concerned at first about VX's capabilities (due to the tileset limitation and battle view etc). However, you've provided some solutions here which are really fantastic.

I would also like your input on the "resource" heavy issue (that Dr. Phill refers to), if you would be so kind as to elaborate.

Much appreciated.
C-7
I'm glad people are finding this useful! Be sure to try out the attached demo thing. In answer to the resources question, rmvx will run a little more resource-heavy than normal like this, especially with multiple layers, but not terrible. Events and scripts will kill it faster than parallaxes. I think the highest ram usage I've seen in windows task manager so far is in the 120 to 130MB range, which is pretty fair, I think. I've made 23 maps like this so far and haven't had any lag issues on the multiple computers that I've tested it on, but admittedly none of them were particularly weak computers. I could see some screen-tearing or brief jumps from time to time being possible, but I don't see this as much more resource-intensive than tiles so far, but I've not tried anything massive yet.

My largest maps so far have been (in tiles) 40x40, 35x50, and 40x28. The 40x40 is in the attached example demo and has quite a bit going on, including multiple large animations, transparencies, two layers (and a hidden ladder to a lower level), and no lag issues to speak of so far on any of my computers. So I would still do some testing on your end to see if you find computer situations that would make these lag, but they seem fine to me so far.

The background image for the 40x40 map is a 1280x1280 PNG and comes to 2.29MB. I also have a second layer on top of the player the same size (technically, the image is 3840x5120, but most of that is blank) and it comes to 573KB. So 3MB and change for the whole thing, plus a few 45KB steam animations spread around to make the whole map. It really is quite manageable, I think.

Let me know if you have any more questions! I hope this continues to be useful to people!
zeroplumber
This is a very nice tutorial. Well written with good examples. I think I may look into it after I finish with the modern resources.
HellRazor
the second layer is really a good alternative. Very well thinked
Senapho
Whoa snap, nice :D!
That map looks so nice, but the door and
wall look a bit off to me :o.
Great job.
- Sen.
Vivere
Hey. I'm trying to get a map I made to work using this technique, but it isn't working. I've done everything exactly like stated in the tutorial, but my second layer doesn't line up with my map, and when I move my character, the layer moves across the screen with me. What's going on?
C-7
QUOTE (Vivere @ Feb 25 2009, 07:29 PM) *
Hey. I'm trying to get a map I made to work using this technique, but it isn't working. I've done everything exactly like stated in the tutorial, but my second layer doesn't line up with my map, and when I move my character, the layer moves across the screen with me. What's going on?

I told you in the tutorial that making the second layer align with the first is troublesome and that you'll have to nudge the layer around in your image editing program. You may also need to move the event over a tile or something and then adjust the image (in your image editor, not in rmvx) from there. It works, I promise. You just need to have a little patience and make adjustments to make things work. I like to have something that's in the second layer also be in the bottom layer for alignment purposes. Then I can tell how many pixels I'll need to adjust it. You could also put a temporary grid or something in each image to make sure you have it lined up to the pixel correctly and then remove the grid. You just have to adjust.

Now why the layer would move across the screen with you is something I can't answer for you. I honestly don't know how to do that unless you're setting up the event wrong (I'm confident you are). It sounds to me like you're placing an event that says "show picture" and that is entirely the wrong way to do it. It will then scroll with you because it is part of the screen and not part of the map. You need to place the second layer in a BLANK event and just choose the character graphic on the left side of the event window. (It says "Graphic" and then a box below it)

Beyond that, all I can say is to download the demo. Its working in the demo I provided, try to open it up in rmvx and see what you're doing differently. I'm also going to edit that image into the tutorial just in case.
Vivere
Well, the only reason I mentioned it lining up incorrectly is because I thought it could be related to the real problem of it moving around when I move. I can easily adjust it to be on top of everything by moving it in photoshop exactly half a tile over. The real problem is it moving, and no, I didn't add it as a picture. I did exactly what you just said. I can't tell any difference between your demo and what I have done, so I have no clue why it's messed up.
C-7
I'd definitely be willing to take a look at your project file for you if you'd like to PM it to me (or a link or something). That's about the best help I can provide because from here, I'm really not sure how things are turning out how they are for you.
Fei_Fong_Wong
Problem with the link,cannot download the demo!Fix the link please.
DojoDesigns
Yo! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

For your efforts to help us break through to incredible maps, you can be guarantted a seat of honor in my credits... This is amazing!
C-7
QUOTE (DojoDesigns @ Jun 18 2009, 12:05 AM) *
Yo! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

For your efforts to help us break through to incredible maps, you can be guarantted a seat of honor in my credits... This is amazing!

Well, thanks! I'm honored. Look for part two of this tutorial this evening!
Guth
The Images get too big, and you can't choose what part you want when choosing graphic, it shows up as the blank option (the blue (not the transparent) pattern).

Help please!
Jasonicus
What? This doesn't even sound related to this tutorial. Clarify what you mean, please.
Guth
When you make the second layer and import it, once you try and select the image in the event for the second layer, it shows like the blank option, the blue "criss-cross" pattern. Sorry, forgot to tell what I was talking about sad.gif

*Edit* I can choose the image, but when I try to test it, it says "Failed to create image ..."
Noctrama
Thnx, I was trying to do this, but kept getting messed up on how to make the grids work together. Now I know how to, thanks to you.
Noctrama
Sorry for double post, accidentwith computer, though message didn't load.
C-7
I'm glad this is helping people!

@Guth: I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. Are you sure you're making a characterset out of your second layer? If its big, you'll likely not see it all in the editor selection windows and, hopefully, most of it will be transparent so of course you'll see the blue and black grid. It is the exact same process as placing a regular non-playable character in the map except you don't give them any commands and the graphic is, of course, much larger.
Mooseface
That's genius!!!!!

Edit: AGH!! I'm so sorry! I didn't realize I totally just necroposted! X___X Forgeev meeee!!!
C-7
Just in case, I've added a mediafire link to the main post.
Celianna
Hey C-7, maybe it's a good idea to link to KGC's Tile-extension script. His script makes it possible to allow different passabilities for tiles, and it works excellent with custom-made parallax maps.
C-7
Yeah, I've seen a few people doing it. I haven't actually tried it myself--I've tried to keep things as simple as possible, but I'll look into it and probably incorporate it into a part three.

Yes, I'll be making a part three.
IxionVI2
hello, i think that this technique is awesome, but i do have some questions if you think you can answer them..
I have been making all my maps using your technique but like you said, the file sizes are HUGE.!!! I have made over 200 parallax maps and my game size is almost at 1 gig..but i am not worried about that.. there are many memory problems that come with making a parallax map game.. One of the problems is that while in the rpgvx editor, after i click on around 15 big parallax maps, rpgvx crashes due to memory. Also when in rpgvx editor, i will click on an event to add the 2ed layer image which is the x3 width and x4 height image, WOW, these images are also so big, and alot of the times, rpgvx crashes when i click on the event. another BIG proble that i discovered today, is i tryed to do a walk threw of all of my maps, i was going to do an in game play threw of just walking onto every map i created. I have over 200 maps.. what i discovered is that after around 20 map, the game Will crash. So i cannot play threw my whole game becasue i will not be able to get past around 20 maps before the game runs out of memory.. I know its not my computer becasue i have 4 gigs of ram... anyways, i have been trying to find another way of making the layer 2 file size not as big.. I have tryed using a picture file instead of the character file because the picture file doeant need to be the x3 width and the x4 height size.. This make the layer 2 file size MUCH smaller, but i am having difficulties making it work. When i go to my map the picture file will move when the actor moves, instead of the picture standing still. How do I stop the picture from moving when the actor does?? if we work at this new way of making layer 2 with pictures, I know we can figure out how to make it work. becasue the actor can still go under the picrure and the actor will be seen going underneath the picture, and this is exactly what we want from a layer 2, but we need to stop the picture from moving, and i dont know how to do that... my game will not work using this parallax map technique because it takes up too much memory, i have worked too hard and long to make my 200 maps, and now it seems that it will all go to waste....i have tryed another method to fix this problem. I tryed deleting the catch script that is the deafult script that comes with rpgvx, but this didnt work, it just made the screen go black and you can onlt hear sounds when playing the game... please help me, i have been working on my game for 6 months now, and now i realzie that i may not be able to even play my game.!!!!! i have attached the error messages that come up when the game crashes
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

edit--- ok i think i have a solution, i am going to decrease the file size of all my maps, i just decreased one of my maps from 5 MB to 600 KB, so i just have to do this to all 200 of my maps now, and then i will see if this works or not

edit#2---ok decreasing the file size for the parallaxes didnt work, but what i did discover was that, if i delete all of the 2ed layer charactersets, is thta i was able to run threw allo of my maps, so i defeanatly think i have isolated the probelm, which, just happened to be the exact same proble i was already trying to fix.. I need to find away to decrease the file size of the 2ed layer cractersets, but if i try and change the png formate to jpg, it will get rid of the transparecy, and i need the transparency for the 2ed layer.. so i dont know how to fix this problem..hmmmm
C-7
The point of the character sets was to fix the picture problem. I've never had an issue like you're talking--and I have a TON of maps in my game. There exists a multiple parallax script, (it may just fix this problem for you), but I'll have to pm you the link since its not from this site. I saw your other topic, too, so keep my posted on what happens because I'd like for everyone who sees this to have a solution if one comes up.
IxionVI2
QUOTE (C-7 @ Jun 5 2010, 05:52 PM) *
The point of the character sets was to fix the picture problem. I've never had an issue like you're talking--and I have a TON of maps in my game. There exists a multiple parallax script, (it may just fix this problem for you), but I'll have to pm you the link since its not from this site. I saw your other topic, too, so keep my posted on what happens because I'd like for everyone who sees this to have a solution if one comes up.

thast awesome that there is a multiple parallax script, i would like to use it, let me know when you find this script.. anyways, i just used phtoshop and shrunk my game from 800 MB to 400 MB, and this didnt fix my probelm.... im still getting the failed to load bitmat error at line 80, after around 20 maps, i just dont know what to do.............. noooooooooooooooooo, also i am doing a full system visus scan right now, but i doubt this will help at all also... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

edit-- ok virus scan is complete and found no virus detections... so im back to stuck again..
Celianna
QUOTE (IxionVI2 @ Jun 6 2010, 05:32 AM) *
thast awesome that there is a multiple parallax script, i would like to use it, let me know when you find this script.. anyways, i just used phtoshop and shrunk my game from 800 MB to 400 MB, and this didnt fix my probelm.... im still getting the failed to load bitmat error at line 80, after around 20 maps, i just dont know what to do.............. noooooooooooooooooo, also i am doing a full system visus scan right now, but i doubt this will help at all also... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

edit-- ok virus scan is complete and found no virus detections... so im back to stuck again..

To reduce the file sizes of your second layer, only make 1 character set so to speak. Then put !$ in front of the filename so you can make only one character set out of it (3x4 tiles).

That said, have you tried adding the Bitmap fix script into your game to see if it works then?
IxionVI2
QUOTE (Celianna @ Jun 6 2010, 05:40 AM) *
To reduce the file sizes of your second layer, only make 1 character set so to speak. Then put !$ in front of the filename so you can make only one character set out of it (3x4 tiles).

That said, have you tried adding the Bitmap fix script into your game to see if it works then?

on my charactersets, yeah i already only use the upper left corner of the graphic, the rest is blank, and yerterday i just tryed the bitmap fix script.. it didnt help

im not totally sure i undersatnd what youmean by only use one chracterset out of 3x4 tiles... have you found a way to only use the actual graphic with out increaing the size of it by 300%x400%? becsue thats what i have to do in order to use a event graphic....

anywasy, yeah i defantlantly have localized the problem to to the event graphics, i just did another test run after i deleted all of the event graphics and i was able to run threw 200 maps.... do it is defanly not a script error, or corrupt rpgvx data, or anyhting else.. i need to find a way to fix this event graphic failing all the time... if the events didnt have to be x300 by x400 of my graphic, then i know for sure the game would run noramlly... and i cant just make tile sets to use to substitute the event graohics becsue there are not enought tiles sets in the world to be enought to cover all of my event graphics, let alone rpgvx only uses 5 tile sets, and i do have all of the extended tile script scripts, but this is not the answer......i really wish i could use 2 parrallexs i my game instead of one per map, that way i dont have to use evnt graphics as my second layer.. a second parrallax would be the perfect fix for my game......hm..... where is this paralax script??
feedingwolves
Thanks for the tute! I'm definately going to try this...sometime...

This is probably a stupid question...

When using parallaxes, does the whole game have to be parallaxes or can you hve a mixture of normal maps and parallaxes?
mitchi.exe
When using parallaxes, does the whole game have to be parallaxes or can you hve a mixture of normal maps and parallaxes?

You can have both.
Celianna
You know, instead of using event graphics to make a top layer, you could easily make a picture out of your top layer (make sure it's the same size as the entire map), and then use the 'show picture' command. Use OriginalWij's fixed image to get make the image stay stationary on the screen. Put the code [FIXED] in your graphic's name and poof you got it. The bad thing is that you need to tint the picture individually if you're tinting your map as well. Here's the script:

Spoiler:
CODE
# Sprite_Picture

# Update (Overwrite)
def update
super
if @picture_name != ""
end
end
if @picture_name == ""
self.visible = false
else
self.visible = true
if @picture.origin == 0
self.ox = 0
self.oy = 0
else
end
self.x = @picture.x
self.y = @picture.y
# added
end
end
end

It will certainly reduce your filesizes.
Sir Eagle
I have a Grid Overlay layer you can paste on top of your Parallax so you know where the tiles are.
http://www.freepicsupload.com/pics/phplA6j...d%20overlay.png
just paste it on top of your parallax-to-be and lower the opacity to somewhere around 30%. make sure it's always the top layer.
SamGreen
...or you could just make a 32 pixel2 grid with only 1 division... tongue.gif
cdabamsworth
Thanks very much.

QUOTE (SamGreen @ Sep 18 2010, 03:42 PM) *
...or you could just make a 32 pixel2 grid with only 1 division... tongue.gif

In Paint.NET it's either impossible or extremely hard.
Guth
It's possible. I actually just submitted a tutorial about using a grid in Paint.net. You could use that to help out if it gets accepted. It might not since I forgot to add a [-Graphics-] tag at the beginning.
joyrexjrl
Greetings, this is my first post hopefully it will not be a dumb one. I am trying my hardest to get an immage placed over my map in the same way you have listed here. however I can not seem to figure out how to resize the immage for being placsed into the character graphic. Im trying to follow your tut and I am not able to see how to resize the immage. I have tried looking through your demo but cant figure out how to resize still. any feedback would be very helpfull, thanks.
C-7
joyrexjrl

Use OriginalWij's Fixed Imaged Script instead

CODE
# Sprite_Picture

# Update (Overwrite)
def update
super
if @picture_name != ""
end
end
if @picture_name == ""
self.visible = false
else
self.visible = true
if @picture.origin == 0
self.ox = 0
self.oy = 0
else
end
self.x = @picture.x
self.y = @picture.y
# added
end
end
end
joyrexjrl
awesome thank you, i will try it out soon
fuzzypiccle
great tutorial and all, but how do i take a pic of my map? do i need a hypercam or something?
GrandmaDeb
@fuzzy pickle

I already sent you a PM about a tutorial telling you how to upload your game, and pointed out that the tutorial section is your best friend.

Seriously, it is.

What you want to do is take every single new member tutorial.

And look for one about posting a screenshot or something to figure out how to post one.
it is right there in the master list of tutorials for new users about the fourth one down....... o_0
That is not what this topic is about. Please try and learn stuff on your own, and don't spam people's topics with questions you can figure out yourself with a very tiny amount of detective work.
posfan12
QUOTE (Celianna @ Jun 27 2010, 04:55 PM) *
You know, instead of using event graphics to make a top layer, you could easily make a picture out of your top layer (make sure it's the same size as the entire map), and then use the 'show picture' command. Use OriginalWij's fixed image to get make the image stay stationary on the screen. Put the code [FIXED] in your graphic's name and poof you got it. The bad thing is that you need to tint the picture individually if you're tinting your map as well. Here's the script:

...snip...

It will certainly reduce your filesizes.

Could you explain please how to add this script to my game and then use it? Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.